Something of interest : Pseudo 3D Tracks V2 - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Things that would be good to add (aside from more efficient code) :

A)  Different sides having different coloured background (and possibly emulate height even more by being able to set the height for that)
B) Tunnels
C) Split tracks
D) Track sections having different road and line widths

Got it all up and running now with vehicles moving and over taking.

The main problem (aside from the shuddering - I think that is due to how GLBasic scales stuff), is that collision against objects at the side are based on the size of the original graphic and not what it should be...  It would require a fair bit of code to deal with that unfortunately (Javascript just fetches the current sprite size).

As you'll see in the video, I've modified the track somewhat :)

F-Zero I think works on a slightly different principle - namely its tracks are 3D transformed bitmaps

Video : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z3e9u_racing-game-demo-with-glbasic_tech

matchy

Smooth video.  :) I guess you should be able to easily flip the traffic sprites from right to left lane side view, at least for now.

How about some Road Rash sprites?  :D

Ian Price

Not had a chance to test (or respond before now), but I'm really liking what I'm seeing :)
I came. I saw. I played.

HamishTPB

This is such a good thread, I think perhaps it would be good to put it in the tutorials section for posterity as well.  :nw:
Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

MrTAToad

Quote from: matchy on 2014-Jun-11
Smooth video.  :) I guess you should be able to easily flip the traffic sprites from right to left lane side view, at least for now.

If you draw some for me :)

Each vehicle needs 9 graphics : straight, left,right ,up+left,up+right,down+left,down+right - shouldn't take you long to do 5 or so vehicles :)

matchy

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2014-Jun-11
Quote from: matchy on 2014-Jun-11
If you draw some for me :)

Hang on (no pun intended), where did you get those Outrun sprites because I meant rips?

MrTAToad

I didn't get them anywhere - I "borrowed" them from the original authors website...  He, in turn, "borrowed" them from http://pixel.garoux.net/game/44

matchy

Sure but I'm more inclined to automate it than manual pixel draw. I'd would approach it by rendering a 3D vehicle to 2D as opposed to pixel art.  :P Perhaps I'll get a better chance to try out the engine but for now, who's got some vehicles?  ;)  :D
As for, say, billboards, they can be easily produced internally also.
A more import and dynamic example, also something that I need, is implementing configurable plants/trees/fauna types.  :sick:

erico

This looks great, quite way too fast here.
Yep Matchy, render the car and get the output to pixel art style would be best

I wonder maybe if the system could be up gradable to, let´s say, spline curves instead of just horizontal lines.
Would it be good for gaming?

MrTAToad

It is way too fast - at the moment I'm upgrading the engine so that the left and right sides can have different coloured backgrounds, track width and number of lines, and well as variable "rumble" widths.

I'll release a more playable version later on...

erico

The extra speed is not bad, you could probably split screen 4x easily on pc :good:

MrTAToad

Certainly could!

I've got a more playable version now.  Need to correct the collision detection with the sides next - its another area that needs optimising.

Slydog

Wow, this is really coming along!
Multi-layered parallax background scrolling too?
Plays so smooth.
Possible to have forks in the road?
Jumps? Rivers and bridges?
Can't wait to see where this goes.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

erico

MrTAToad

I think the background needs improving - the layers don't moving terribly convincingly at the moment.

Got an example of multiple tracks : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z9z10_pseudo-3d-split-tracks_tech

To fork/join them it would be just a matter of changing the distance between them and decide on a rendering order.  Dealing with the animated grass would be harder and I can see that being a dealt with as an array of quads.

Experimenting with tunnels - it turns out that the left and right sides of the tracks will need to be done back to front (like vehicles)