Does anyone know of a path editor for 3D? To be used for enemies in games?

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

Aww thanks guys :)

Matchy the porcupine is deadly serious. He woke me from sleep over a week ago and got up real close to my face, staring at me with furious red eyes. In an intimidating squeaky voice he said, "You're going to make a game about someone like me flying through the air, popping balloons and shooting jellyfish. Do it and don't complain dude, or I'll come back and give you a dose of spikey medicine. You don't want that..." After that he waddled away, mumbling vague angry threats.

Kanonet all the objects are billboards. The shadows are simply 'flattened' versions of billboard sprites, so the y and z co-ordinates are exchanged. There was some problem with the shadows antialiasing badly regardless of correct z-order but I've fixed that now by giving them variable y values that are still imperceptible so they all look like they're on the same plane.

Hemlos

looks good wampus, are you using the glb fog, and/or mippmaping?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Wampus

glb fog. I was using the exponential setting at first. I changed to linear since it was too hard to see what was heading towards the player. Now its less like 'Silent Hill', more like 'Space Harrier'.

Haven't tried mipmapping yet. Will be curious to see what difference it makes in performance and visuals, or if it changes anything at all.

kanonet

Ah so this shadows only works, cause you have a flat ground and you dont cast shadows on other objects.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Kitty Hello

That's GLBasic? Dude, I was unaware that you can make this hot stuff. Keep going.

Wampus

Thanks for your help everyone. Managed to submit the game in time. Was within an hour of February.

Here is a link to the Windows version. I included a thanks note to those that helped. I used your forum names but I could change that to real names if you want.

I'm exhausted. That was kind of ambitious, given how little time I had to do it in.

Hemlos

thats awesome!

you can use my name "Neil Silver" if you wish next time you edit the game, or for future games.

Hemlos

i tried it on my pc, worked great with an older cpu and windows xp.

i tried it on an old laptop with windows 7 too...this is a screenshot showing some glitches.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mentalthink

HI Wampus thanks for put my name in your game, but guy not it's necessary  :good: :booze: :booze: :-* :-* , I think you have to do this for mobile devices...

bigsofty

How did I miss this, it looks stunning, looks like you could be on to a winner here Wampus! :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Feb-13
How did I miss this, it looks stunning, looks like you could be on to a winner here Wampus! :good:

Almost similar...I´m such a great fan of such kind of game!
I had no words :)

Game goes perfectly on my end.
Check "feedback" on msx2 for inspirations!

But the game reminds me sooo muuch of Penguin (Yume Tairuki)!
Oh my, really great stuff.

Critics on: I´m not sure about the shootings though, don´t quite feel intuitive, but that has always been a hard stuff with this visualization.

Wampus

Thanks for the encouragement. I should put a proper link and video on my website now, since I only have that link so far. :)

Next time I'll put real names in the 1GAM page before the game starts. I didn't this time because I was in such a rush. I submitted the game with less than 45 mins left of January!

Quote from: Hemlos on 2013-Feb-13
i tried it on an old laptop with windows 7 too...this is a screenshot showing some glitches.

Ahh, that is interesting. The game tries to detect the desktop size and resize the window to fit nicely. I bet I've forgot to change the VIEWPORT settings accordingly or something like that. I hope I can recreate this problem as it may occur with anything that uses my same code base.

erico

Really great and smooth stuff Wampus!

I always loved the lotus,harrier,afterburner...etc style, I think it has a huge potential.
great deeds you did there! :)

ps: what about 2 players on the same machine? Dual analog joy support? :-[