Calling all frameworks and sprite systems...

Previous topic - Next topic

skn3

Quotea cool feature could been auto size to 50% or such, etc texture set at 2048x2048, but not all devices support that (1024x1024 is typical max).

For map editor I also use Tiled as editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/), which can output a xml format. Here I store them as a xml csv data, but could think some thing can been done here as well? We can also use POLYVECTOR to draw sprites in varied format as well, but you need to doing it your self.

So with POLYVECTOR command in mind, all things should been possible, but might take little time to "play" the format you choose to use.

Ok well I am definitely going to support GLBasic so I will look into the mentioned methods. With regards to a tile editor, the application I have written is not speciffic to an atlas, it is an application framework for editing/managing anything in a object/tree hierarchy. There can be different types of object in the system; currently there are atlas, atlasFrame, animation, animationFrame, character and category objects. Each object has the innards to allow a new "editor" for managing it. There are currently two editors, the atlas editor and the animation editor.

So short answer is that not currently going to support a tile map editor but its something that will definitely happen down the line.

AndreasLoew

@skn:

Things my TexturePacker 2.x already has from your list:

• Texture packing
  • whitespace removal
  • auto bleeding
  • auto sync original image files
  • cross platform (mac, windows, linux)

Additional things:

• Image optimization
  • Color reduction with dithering
  • Upscaling modes
  • Command line mode
  • Flash import (currently windows, mac only with 32bit flash

Things I am working on for the 3.0.0 update:

I don't want to stop you with your project - the only question is if the effort is worth working on it. I spend quite a big time and meanwhile working nearly full time on my tools TP & PE.

skn3

Hey no worries I think you already have a good market share and I am sure there is enough room for some healthy competition. Texture Packer is good, and probably the nicest of the ones I saw out there but it just didn't have everything I needed.

AndreasLoew

I have no problems with competition - I just know how much time it is to keep the tool working and to enhance it.... When I started there was nothing similar - but I would have been glad paying some bucks for it instead of developing it all myself... meanwhile things changed but the support and development effort even grew leaving nearly no time for other projects.

skn3

spicypixel

Quote from: skn3 on 2011-Sep-26
Hey Zero.. or ..Spicey, yes I do remember you, how are you doing :) ? Are you a GLBasic person these days then?

Yeh I made the transition a while back and have been loving building stuff for the iOS :) I noticed the deli game on your website, good to see it's still living strong. I'm just about to release a new iPhone game called PlebZ, look out for it ;)
http://www.spicypixel.net | http://www.facebook.com/SpicyPixel.NET

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

skn3

Quote from: spicypixel on 2011-Sep-27
Quote from: skn3 on 2011-Sep-26
Hey Zero.. or ..Spicey, yes I do remember you, how are you doing :) ? Are you a GLBasic person these days then?

Yeh I made the transition a while back and have been loving building stuff for the iOS :) I noticed the deli game on your website, good to see it's still living strong. I'm just about to release a new iPhone game called PlebZ, look out for it ;)

Awesome I will definitely look out for it. Do you have any screenshots or anything :D ?

spicypixel

Quote from: skn3 on 2011-Sep-28
Awesome I will definitely look out for it. Do you have any screenshots or anything :D ?

I can do better than that you can try out the Beta if you wish :)
Download PlebZ BETA v0.9

Password for the Beta is "uberninja". Hope I don't take your thread off topic :-/

Comps Owned - ZX.81, ZX.48K, ZX.128K+2, Vic20, C64, Atari-ST, A500.600.1200, PC, Apple Mini-Mac.

bigtunacan

@Andreas,

If you are still following this thread, I also really like spacefractal's idea

Quotecool feature could been auto size to 50% or such, etc texture set at 2048x2048, but not all devices support that (1024x1024 is typical max)

It would make it real easy for me to develop a game for something like the iPhone 3g+ with it's higher texture support; then when I'm finished just shrink the whole thing down until it fits within the texture limit of my target device. 

You would need some extra markup in there to track this so the original sizes could be maintained.  For example; in my library I maintain my entity width and height separate from the actual sprite width and height so I can map my textures seamlessly for scaling/zooming; which is common already.  If you allow scaling the texture set you could have an option such as "Track scaling in data output"... something to this affect so it could easily be implemented.

skn3

Quote from: spicypixel on 2011-Sep-28
Quote from: skn3 on 2011-Sep-28

I can do better than that you can try out the Beta if you wish :)
Download PlebZ BETA v0.9

Password for the Beta is "uberninja". Hope I don't take your thread off topic :-/

Hey thats nicely polished :D Seems like a nice fun casual game, I noticed that it was a bit tricky to move in the direction I wanted?

spicypixel

Quote from: skn3 on 2011-Sep-29
Hey thats nicely polished :D Seems like a nice fun casual game, I noticed that it was a bit tricky to move in the direction I wanted?

Yeh it's something that I initially had some issues with but now I find it quite easy. The main problem is I check two differing mousestates with a delay in between to ascertain direction. Too long a delay the game seems unresponsive and too short the movement difference can be wrong as you intend moving down but the X movement could be a pixel greater than the Y indicating a column movement. I tweaked as best I could but maybe I could try again :) Thanks for the nice comments though :)

darkFunction

Hey,

I'm the creator of darkFunction Editor ( http://www.darkfunction.com ). It's still a work in progress really and addresses more of a niche than Andrea's excellent tool Texture Packer.  I just wanted to highlight the differences...

TexturePacker undoubtedly is better currently for taking a bunch of images and creating a spritesheet from them. This is something darkFunction supports but not to the same degree. So if that's all you need then you are better off with TexturePacker.

Where darkFunction excels is taking a single large spritesheet image like the ones often found online and being able to very rapidly define a sheet. The animation editor then has the ability to use these sprites in an animation extremely flexibly- you're not limited to one sprite per frame.  This has a significant space-saving advantage, in that very complex animations can be built from small reusable parts, and there is no need to maintain images for every animation. An example of a mecha-robot-thing is shown on the website. A large robot is animated from lots of parts- if you wanted to use a single image for every frame of every animation the space used would be considerable- but with darkFunction Editor you just need to edit the image containing all the parts. This has the advantage of only ever needing to change one image to change every animation. And your artist doesn't need to be involved for you to tweak the animations. In a real-world game studio this is extremely efficient.

It is a work in progress and will be supporting many more formats soon. Rather than compete directly with TexturePacker (I have a full time job too) I will be allowing it to work with TexturePacker formats to give everyone the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the threadjack by the way. Just wanted to say hi, and thank you to Slydog for the import code.

Kitty Hello

Hi, and thanks for the tool. Both are really nice resources!