3D shading and environment test

Previous topic - Next topic

matchy

Tried your maps and still the same thing blue tinge buddy and you should post GLB screenshots.

erico

considering bump maps, the post you did before this one, the second image, seems to show bump correctly(as far as control to depth goes). Did you use the bump map or the normal image map?

I´m sorry Matchy that it seems the thread has been hijacked(by me) about 3d stuff, I never meant to, I will give a go on those textures too and try a simple 3d viewer on my end. My hopes is that it helps you somehow. I´m sure you have more important stuff to do on this then the 3d visuals...heck that net code is beyond my understanding by far and I claim it will never be on my end.

About doing textures out of my mind, it depends on what art directionig you want with this, and ampos stuff is by far looking soo great!
Don´t forget the "kicked can" sound! :)

I will try to come up with stuff that actually helps on what you have now, sorry.

Hemlos

@matchy:
1. what do you mean glb screenshots? i am using SAVESPRITE
I just used now, SETTRANPARENCY  0x8000ff, and the result was pink instead of white pixels...i also switched to BMP instead of png.
Seem there is a bug here.

2. Do you try ordering the code like i showed also?
Make sure you are proper ordering the rendering x_codes.
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=8395.msg71066#msg71066

@erico:
i used matchys walls_1.png, and walls_4_bump.png, i edited them to be 256x256 though.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

erico

Quote from: Hemlos on 2012-Jul-30
I just used now, SETTRANPARENCY  0x8000ff, and the result was pink instead of white pixels...i also switched to BMP instead of png.
Seem there is a bug here.

Could it be that GLB supports exporting normal image maps then? Should be great for people doing a modeler with it!

Hemlos

TBH i dont know what you mean by exporting normal maps.
In glb normals are vectors.

These are the images i edited.
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8395.0;attach=5261

erico

Oh, but where are the blue ones? Did they come out of GLB?

Hemlos

The blue ones are an error in the code.
Its not glbasic with this issue, it is opengl naturally depending on the way the code is ordered/used.
I know this for certain, because i had the same results with my object analyzer when i first implemented the bumpmaps.

Hemlos

Quote from: kanonet on 2012-Jul-29
@bumpmapping:
please notice that bumpmapping is broken/ does not work on Intel graphic cards. I tried it on 3 (or was it 4) different generations and it did not work on any of them (but it did on ATI and NVidia). Was reported long time ago...
Matchy are you still using my 3D lib? If yes, did you include bumpmapping, cuz i did not and its quite a bit work. If someone needs it, i can include it in a future version... :whistle:

Do your cards support this extension: GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 ?
If im not mistaking, this is the bumpmap thingy.
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=3631.0

matchy

Quote from: Hemlos on 2012-Jul-30
1. what do you mean glb screenshots? i am using SAVESPRITE
2. Do you try ordering the code like i showed also?

For some reason from a glance, I thought your screenshot were from 3ds or some editor.  :D :D

Here's my algo for shadows. I don't think there a problem with it but is there with the order. I mean I like cullmode up the top because i rarely use both together. In this case, only one spot light is use otherwise they would need to be repeated.
Code (glbasic) Select

X_MADE3D
X_CULLMODE 1
X_CAMERA
X_SPOT 1
X_FOG

repeat twice
X_SPOT 1 or -3 // second time for shadows
X_ALPHAMODE 0
X_SCALING
X_SETTEXTURE
X_MOVEMENT
X_DRAWOBJ
end repeat

Quote from: erico on 2012-Jul-30
...hijacked(by me) ....
... and ampos stuff
....Don´t forget the "kicked can" sound! :)
...I will try to come up with stuff...

No problems about the thread hijack all is good for me. More media content and improvement is appreciated but anything to add to the game would be super cool for all.  8)

Cans?  :coke: I have not seen ampos lately.

erico

OPS! :-[

Sorry I meant Mentalthink, not ampos, really sorry for that...

mentalthink

I´m not sure about this, but blue tint  images (Normal Maps) and Bump, not are the same... the effect it´s very similar but the inner calculus are very differents...

Another point, I think it´s better for the walls use, Displacement... OpenGL can do this... OpenGL 2.0 I´m not sure... but displacement really makes the extrusion, if you are near of the wall you really show the bricks going out the geometry (you need to add more division to the mesh), but bump when you are near to the wall only see the plane...

I´m not sure about the speed of the game, but the results are awesoming better than bump...

[attachment deleted by admin]

erico

Totally right.

But the displace will need a high poly mesh. You could actually freeze the displace into an object and use it without having to calculate the displace in code, unless you want to animate that as for example in water.

The bump will display only height while the normal will display that but will also deal diagonals, it will look better.
As for getting close, having a higher resolution texture for either bump or normal may help.

Sorry Mental I got confused by ampos couple posts ago :-[

mentalthink

@erico Sorry Mental I got confused by ampos couple posts ago :-[

Don´t worry we both are spanish =D =D =D

Hemlos

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Jul-30

For some reason from a glance, I thought your screenshot were from 3ds or some editor.  :D :D

Here's my algo for shadows. I don't think there a problem with it but is there with the order. I mean I like cullmode up the top because i rarely use both together. In this case, only one spot light is use otherwise they would need to be repeated.

hehe its my new version of object analyser, unreleased.
its not finished yet, but this thread has helped to figgure out a couple things for it.

this is how you get rid of the blueing:

Code (glbasic) Select
IF Bumpmapping
X_SPOT_LT -1, 0x808080, cx,cy,cz,-cx,-cy,-cz, 360
ENDIF

If you move this light around, you will see changes in the bumps because it is sensitive to this light position.

ps. this is not the regular light, it is id -1, additionally, you can use regular spot light too.
You can position the bumplight, from a room light source, like a lamp to show proper shadowing on the walls.
And dont forget LOADBUMPTEXTURE

erico

Hey mental, just notices the (6000E app does not display bump!)  :D
Try a 1.500 dollars app, should be able to render everything in realtime on the viewport :P :nana:
But apart from VPR on lightwave, it also dosen´t show bump on open gl, at least not with my gfx card.
Funky that the free sculptris shows it...

Tried a bump map and a normal map on an external package, this is what I get.

It won´t actually help much on the GLB side but at least that is what I expect.
You can see the result is pretty similar, but the normal map seems to be a bit blurred on the mip mapping side of things.

[attachment deleted by admin]