3d on GP2X Wiz

Previous topic - Next topic

KermEd

:enc:

Hola Kitty and team,

The last few builds have had some strange behaviours for 3d on GP2X-Wiz.  The objects are not solid - they look like they have a 'blinds' effect on them and colouring doesn't match up.

I've tested the builds in the samples as well as my own code.

Running:  GLBasic IDE, Version: 8.085, Everything up-to-date.  Any thoughts? :D  If we can get a solid release candidate for 3D - I'll burn it to a CD or something so I wont bug you about it anymore.

3D looks fine on Windows etc, its just on GP2X wiz.

KermEd

Oi, before I forget:

I tried:  With and Without texturing.  With and without lighting.  Different colours (incase its a transparency thing) And different lighting scale modes :)

mentalthink

HI KermED, (hola)  :P

Well, Glbasic don´t works very well on Wiz, when I start whit glBasic, I tried a lot of modes for view the geometry well on the wiz, but always occurs anything bad. The trouble not i glbasic is problem is from Gph, who made the programming in 3D very Bad.

Make some month I made a, very low polys I think was have about 400 poligons, and works very very slowly, the 3d on wiz don´t works really well, it´s seems how in wince, otherwise on iphone, pc wells very well.

Un saludo,
Iván J

KermEd

No I know :) I'm cool with slow 3d - I remember some of your tests.  In my case though the 3d app is very low in its poly count and should run fine.  I know earlier the GLBASIC team had to patch the update so the colours and 3d objects would work on t he WIZ again.  But it looks fully busted.  2 updates ago, the colours were off and now on the current update its really messed up.  Anyway, I dont mind the performance ATM - the performance speeds are a-o-k.  Its just the fact its unviewable :)

KermEd

Just a heads up, I tried to compile the samples - they also show up with fragmented colours on GP2X Wiz :)

XaMMaX

Same problem. My models works well(on the contrary, I like to work with such insignificant limits) even on gp2x f100, but they unviewable cuz of 'blinds'.

Any idea how to reduce this problem?

Here is small video(sry, mobile cam) of  'blinds' (look at the "room" corner) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca7MujFMw6Y
Sry for my english

Cliff3D

Odd - that actually looks as if part of the room does not quite meet the floor and other wall properly.

Out of interest, as I've seen something roughly similar on a netbook with Intel graphics instead of a good NVidia card, have you tried/can you try using smaller textur bitmaps? I.E if you are using 256*256, try 128*128 (but definately smaller than your old bitmaps and definately "power of two") to see if that makes any difference on the Wiz?

XaMMaX

Cliff3D, my room texture was 512x512. I try 256x256 and then 128x128. Both same result. Hmm..
Sry for my english

XaMMaX

Try different kind of models(.x, .obj, .md2, .3ds) same result. Looks like this strange thing happand only on large poligons(large on screen, oh god my eng so bad). So i try add some poligons to the room model. For example floor was 1 poligon now it is 20. Looks a lot better on gp2x(but still crapy), obviously take a lot more resources..  :(

btw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FseBNWLz0gs FFUUUUUU just kidding) don't look at the floor, i don't finish texture, look at the walls.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sry for my english

Cliff3D

Your English seems pretty good from what little I have read. You should see what most English people make of a second language (and I am, sadly, worse than most :( )

But I digress. so - not the texture then. Hmmm... linked to how large the object appears onscreen? Maybe you can try fiddling with the znear#, zfar#, and field_of_view# parameters of the X_MAKE3D command? The goal would be to easily include all of your model geometry, but at the same time to not overdo it - have znear and zfar, at least, reasonably close to the object.

I am only a beginner here myself, so just trying to throw out any suggestions that feel like they might help :)

Cliff3D

Ah! I suspect this post may be significant:

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=2313.msg17383#msg17383

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2008-Sep-08
It should all work. But limita are:
No BumpMapping
No CelShading
Lights might not be perfect
Z-Buffer problems. You must specify a narrow range for the z-buffer (1 to 100 or so) to work.
Apart from that it should work.

That would be the znear# and zfar# parameters that I referred to earlier.

XaMMaX

Allready try this ( even rly low one like 1-10 etc - same result (

Is there any way to get it right? Maybe there is some old ver of glbasic in which one gp2x don't have blinds(or something, see vid on youtube) like KermEd said? If not, i will just give up on that project.. so sad  :(

Maybe i should w8 for Gernot post?
Sry for my english

Cliff3D

Gernot is the man, if he can't help you no-one can!

hardyx

The reason is that GLBasic 3d on Wiz works by software and the engine has many limitations. I think Gernot done this to reutilize the GP2X and WinCE code, and because was difficult to manage the GPH Opengl-es libraries.

Making 3D in Wiz using C/C++ and Opengl-es works very good, and has many effects. The 3D is similar to medium and high smartphones. Watch this video:

XaMMaX

So you suggest to use c++ opengl commands in glbasic or without it in some c++ compiler?
Sry for my english