Perhaps not the most powerful: Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0

Previous topic - Next topic

Yodaman Jer

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, and unfortunately I still have not purchased GLBasic. However, the discovery of the Samsung Galaxy Player has gotten my interest up again!

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-players/YP-G70CWY/XAA

It has a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory, with the ability to add a 32GB microSD card for even more storage. And here's the real kicker; it's got a 5" screen! Sure, it's not the most powerful device, but it looks like just the portable media player I've been shopping for, and it looks like a decent thing to start developing Android apps and games with. :D

Has anyone here even heard of this thing? Apparently it's been out since October but I have NEVER heard of it, nor have I seen one in any stores. Then again, it looks almost exactly like the Galaxy phones, so maybe my brain just skimmed over it? :P

What do you guys think about using it for app development?
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

Nathan

Nope, I've never heard of this, is it Samsung's version of iPod Touch?  (Not that Samsung copy Apple of course).
Looks really good, but if there's an equivalent phone with similar specs then is it really worth buying one.
The iPod Touch is significantly cheaper than the iPhone so it is worth it.

Youkaisan

I have the YP-G70 apd by Sumsung.

I must say, it's pretty powerful except it has no 3G, and the battery lasts VERY long, a very cost-effective Android Device.

The name of this device is Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 5.0, and I msut say it very good for most purpose.

Yodaman Jer

@Nathan: Yup, it's basically the first Android music player to compete with the iPod touch, although there are a couple floating around. Just not nearly as powerful as this one!

@Ocean: You are correct, it's WiFi only. No 3G/4G or anything like that. But that means battery life is kept up since you can't accidentally turn on Mobile Data. :P

Wampus

It has the same GPU as the iPhone 4 and iPad 1 a similar but better GPU than the iPhone 4 and iPad 1. Should be plenty powerful for developing purposes. If there was a clip-on control pad and buttons it would make a lovely all-round handheld gaming device.

The number of different file formats it supports makes my iPod Touch seem far too restrictive by comparison. I want one.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Wampus on 2011-Dec-06
The number of different file formats it supports makes my iPod Touch seem far too restrictive by comparison. I want one.

That is an impressive collection of file formats supported
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Wampus

Yep :) I especially like the FLAC support. Its part of the reason I use my ancient, tiny and indestructible Sansa Clip instead of my iPod most of the time.

Hatonastick

Ooooo... I want one!  I think I'm turning into a bit of a Samsung fanboy (sort of). :)
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Yodaman Jer

I LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE Samsung. Every phone I've ever owned by them has been virtually indestructible. Sadly, I've never owned one of their smartphones (I have the LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile, a rather poor phone on a poor carrier!), but I hear they got a pretty powerful one coming out soon with ICS... :P

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ocean on 2011-Dec-08
I own a Samsung SGH-i780 - a Windows Mobile job.  I'm not impressed - should put it up at eBay...

I hear that a lot about Windows Mobile, seems definitely a love or hate scenario with them.

Lee 
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Yodaman Jer

I looked into Windows phones and honestly, I HATE the look Microsoft's been going for as of late. What's with the flat, square buttons and thin-but-huge typeface they've been using?

I think it started with the Zune. Not sure why they want to model the UI after something that failed. :P

fuzzy70

Am pretty sure the one my friend had did not rotate all the menus if you rotated the phone into landscape mode, was a HTC I think although what model am not sure. Might have been a version 7 not the 7.1, oddly enough the same happens in my Win7 phone emulator that comes with the SDK.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

Yodaman Jer

Apparently I'm not the only one who hates Windows' new UI.

That only means Windows 9 will again, look entirely different, that is if Microsoft listens to the feedback from everyone. :P

Anyway, back on subject, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the 4 inch version of this. It has a better screen and virtually same features, albeit a slightly shorter battery life and no camera flash. I'm not gonna be using the camera that much though. :P