Kindle Fire HD: Orientation Oddity

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

It seems by default, GLBasic apps run upside-down on the Kindle Fire HD 7". I have to use SETORIENTATION 3 in order to see it right... but this makes the initial loading dots go backwards until it changes orientation, and exiting the app shows the homescreen switch back to rightside-up. Is there a way to force it to be the other way around before the app initializes, and does this happen on other devices?  :giveup:

Darmakwolf

Actually if there's just a way to force an orientation in the android package somewhere that'll solve my problem... anyone know how?

Ian Price

The HP TouchPad has pretty much the same issue. I don't know about the loading dots - is that the Kindle or your app? If it's your app, can you not set the orientation before displaying the dots? Dunno.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Are you using one of the latest beta's ?

Darmakwolf

Well I'm using the link provided for the beta, downloaded it a few days ago. "GLBasic IDE, Version: 11.261"
The loading "dots" just appear... I don't see any other app do this, just GLBasic on my tablet. So there's no way to set the orientation before them. In fact, the very first block of code in my program checks for ?ifdef ANDROID and does SETORIENTATION 3. Changing that does nothing to the loading dots, those are always upside down...

so yeah. latest beta as far as I know, and setorientation only semi-fixes the problem. Like, on a normal android device it's right side up... it's detecting the wrong default orientation... KITTY HELP ):

MrTAToad

The loading dots were included to provide a display whilst loading.

Darmakwolf

Yeah I figured maybe. But they go backwards because of the incorrect orientation detection :P

spacefractal

You cannot trust setorintation alone, since portrait and landscape defaults behaive different and is not correctly handled by glbasic.

The optional plan is using java communication and checks the orientation of a special java command, which was destribted in the bug section as well In the java communication tread.

That why I'm in my game is locked to portrait mode only due that issue.

That issu can been clearly seen with landscape mode for htc desire and hp touchpad.

By now you could also check the device name directly throught java communication me thinks.

Ps. It's some time ago I reported the issue and thinks its allready fixed in next version.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

You have the java code to fix it. Try to delete trash and rebuild? Also, get the latest v11 sdk. I dont know the version off my mind.

spacefractal

http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg73172#msg73172

Is a fix to checks it's current orientation. Howover there is a swap y/x issue, which need to been fixed first. It's fixed long time ago, but still no new beta.

Etc display.getOrientation() is required to been used to check current orientation.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/