argh.. Android woes..

Previous topic - Next topic

mrplant

What can I be doing wrong here ...

Has to be me and has to be something simple.

I have a small project compiled for Android - using proper case but the .mp3 file just wont play.

Same with my larger game I am doing an Android build for - some of the .WAV files come over as static/distorted very badly and the music mp3 files just dont play...

I have set the environment variables in windows settings for the Java SDK but the installer does not get installed on my Nexus 7 tablet - I have to copy the files over manually and run the debug app myself.

The MP3 files are in the Media folder and work fine when I explore the device with file manager app and play them - just GLBasic won't play them..

Marmor

use ogg or wav with 44100.

spacefractal

Its a Android issue, not glbasic issue. mp3 is well known issue which not play on Android. You cant use mp3, so use ogg instead. For Wav make sure to use PCM, since ADPCM or other format is not supported. Here I use mono 22kz which works fine.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mrplant

Thanks. is there a good mp3 to ogg converter out there?
Whilst on the subject, if I convert all my files to .ogg format - will that work on windows mac and ios platforms also?
I could test this myself but figuered it be quicker to ask.. Time I get around to doing it..
So stereo .ogg is out then.. pity...
Thanks for the replies so far.

I was trying to get my game to work with the PS3 controller. Quite a lot of android games natively support this controller.
You just need a usb OTG cable and it plugs into my Google Nexus 7.
Most emulators and big games support it.
Sadly the joystick diags I ran don't seem to support it - I take it this would require GLBasic support in much the same way it handles the iCade controller...

MrTAToad

Ogg will work on Linux and Mac, but not (usually) on Windows

Stereo OGG should be fine

Yes, it probably would require something like iCade support for PS3 controllers

spacefractal

You need both ogg and mp3 depend on system. Put them in each own folder and use the exclude feature, so you don't have both versions.

Wav mono was for soundfx meant.

As long there is no user java communication, ps3 controller would not been possible.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

mrplant

Thanks spacefractal.

I have looked into this Exclude feature -  Sounds like what I need to do.
I take it this only wokrs for subfolders inside the main Media folder...

thanks.

mrplant

got two sound files in my game - both 32,000 16 bit mono uncompressed PCM no codec, .WAV format.
Created and saved by sony sound forge.
One plays perfect the other just plays garbage - on Android only..

Cant figure out why when they are exactly the same length - about 1 second or less and same format but one works and other doesn't..

weird.

erico

Maybe one of the samples is kind of blown out or noisy or poorly converted? It usually sounds worse on smaller speakers as tablets/phone.
...or maybe I guess not, since you are using sound forge I take you can see its waves... :blink: