Nd handheld

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Is this an elaborated hoax or is it true? :x
http://the-nd.com/

can´t bother to dig deeper yet, but thought to share anyways.
...anything 320x240 automatically gets all my votes though...

okee

I like it.
I hope it's for real,
They reckon it's so cheap you could develop a game and sell the device
with your game on it :)
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

MrTAToad

I have no doubt it's real all right.   Hopefully they wont fall into the same traps than Pandora did...

However, they dont state when it will be available (and by the look of things they are trying to get funding to actually build the device).

Apparently the processor hasn't been chosen yet  :blink: So it could ARM or MIPS

XanthorXIII

Wait, this is by the guy that made Bob's Game. He was the one that wanted Nintendo to publish his game on the DS but Nintendo wouldn't budge. He ended up tearing up his room and getting police involved. While I wouldn't say he is crazy, this is one of those things where it sound too good to be true.
Neat concept and I like the idea, but need to give this a little time to actually get done.
Owlcat has wise

MrTAToad

He has said that end of the year would be a realistic estimate for the first batch

Ian Price

I REALLY hope this makes it to production.

I love the marketing style in the other vid -"IT HAS BUTTONS" =D
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Yep, that marketing style is quite new on this level, it was really well done, I´m impressed by this.
Got into the forums and read on about things, it seems real.
I hope it makes too... I enjoy the donate button value.

MrTAToad

QuoteI enjoy the donate button value.
Yes indeed :)  I wonder if anyone will mis-read it, press donate, and find that they've just donated $1 trillion dollars :)

doimus

This is awesome! Really hope they make it.

I've recently seen quite a few 16-bit style handhelds in toy stores, selling at 20 EUR, after taxes, customs, store margins and whatever, so $10 is probably achievable, however mad it sounds.

Wampus

Hmm. Comes pre-loaded with Bob's Game only? If they do that its going to fail:doubt:

They need bundled games - games that will be immediately playable to kids and appealing to parents of kids who loved 16-bit consoles & computers.

From the currently listed games I see Doom and Giana's Return. A few more like that at the least and there is some hope. Most importantly, ready & willing console emulators must be working for it. With easy to use emulator support it could potentially trounce the mainstream competition.

Wampus

OK, so I read elsewhere on the website that it will be bundled with several popular games and tokens for others. It just might work. Definitely needs emulators though.

bigsofty

Looks cool, cheap'n'cheerful!  =D
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

I´m not really worried about it being pre-loaded.
The emulator is important for the devs I guess.

What I believe is a hit here, is the price and a fair online store.
If it ends up costing less then 50$ and with an online store ready,
I will be very happy.

I got into their forums so I can watch things closely.
I really think the price basis and a low end (open) system is a wonderful idea! Not to count the dev target at the indies...

Wampus

Quote from: erico on 2011-Jun-18I´m not really worried about it being pre-loaded.

Personally that wouldn't be an issue for me either but we're indie devs. Naturally we would love a platform like this. :)

The big picture is that it has to be a commercial success. With other cheap gaming handhelds, the ones that have proven to sell on the market, there are always a set of pre-loaded games that are playable immediately. That is what sells the devices. People expect immediate gratification from something cheap, even if in this case it is potentially so much more.

Quote from: erico on 2011-Jun-18The emulator is important for the devs I guess.

I guess but its not an nD emulator that is so important, its gaming console emulators.

If people could upload & play NES, SNES, Genesis games on an nD it would be sensational at the price they are asking for the device.

Gaming console emulators would be killer apps. The nD will need killer apps because it won't have big company marketing behind it.

erico

Quote from: Ragaril on 2011-Jun-18
People expect immediate gratification from something cheap, even if in this case it is potentially so much more.

I guess you are right, but that case being it being sold on a supermarket for example, general public.
Now I believe the strongest market they have is among indies and indie´s friends, mouth to mouth stuff.
Least is what the ´style´ of the page and project currently looks like to me.

For sure some emulator would deadly help!
Since most is open, they will be there if the console hits the day.

At the end it would be great for all of us.