Bonkers suggestion

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Daft idea but... command line extensions commands for the GLB editor?

For example "EditorE.exe /C myGame.gbap"

This would compile the "myGame.gbap" and write any errors to the console, then exit.

This would allow for the basic use of 3rd party editors on existing GLB projects.

Using the current GLB editor as a "middleman" to preserve copy protection yet free people to use any IDE/editor they wish.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

not too hard to do IMO. Is the editor that bad, huh?

Sokurah

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Jun-07

Personally I don't think it's too bad. Sure, it's nowhere as good as BLide for BlitzMax (but that's third party) but still 100 times better than the original BlitzMax/Monkey IDE. Still, who knows - if command line extensions are possible then someone might make a kickass IDE one day?

However, one thing I don't like is how it handles external source files. I don't like that 'Files' tab and how it's used. I'd LOVE if you could make it so they could be included in code - like: INCLUDE "src\movement.glb"...or something like that.
...that would make me happy. ;)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Slydog

Considering GLB is mostly a one-man operation, the IDE is pretty amazing at what it can do.

But there are times when I miss a certain feature that I've gotten used to from the 'big' IDEs. (Visual Studio etc)
Or the feature works differently or better in the other IDE.
Here's some items missing/not working for me in the GLB editor:

• <CTRL>+<TAB> hardly ever works, just at IDE start
  • Code-Folding still eats a byte for me, so is unusable (GLB 9.04 and/or GLB 9.089)
  • Search and Replace All Project Files - Would use this daily, instead of manually doing it for each project file
  • Jumps List and Files tab not both usable at same time
  • Compiling - Incredible still doesn't know when files change properly - may not be IDE related
Each item is not a show stopper, and I understand some may be hard to fix or add.
Over the years I've gotten used to the limitations and quirks so it is no big deal. 
[Edit] Ha, over estimated this one!  Only been using GLB for a year!  Figure of speech?

I found this text editor with a quick Google search:
http://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/
It is open source and has Syntax Highlighting, Code Completion, etc., and seems straight forward to configure.

If it were possible to configure a generic text editor to be fully compatible with GLB I would give it a try.
Otherwise I'm happy with the GLB IDE.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Jun-07

No, no, I really like the GLB editor but adding this feature would allow me to add my own custom features.

For example "Fold All", "Type" folding, code beautification, code snippets, macros, spell checking, multi-monitor support, SVN integration(although this looks like a feature that is coming!)... basically more flexibility when doing basic editing.

This is one of my editors that I use (it has a nice simple SVN/DIFF feature BTW ;) ) http://www.editplus.com

Its not essential but it would be nice to have, if its not too much bother for you Gernot.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

ampos

IDEal! I want IDEal for GLB!  :P
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

MrTAToad

The GLBasic editor is very nice, although it can do very odd things after a lot of compiles & runs (ie, no menu options are selectable, no characters displayed).

It would be a Windows 7 thing though

XanthorXIII

I've been working with the GLBasic Editor and haven't found much to complain about except in the cases of code collapsing causing me Compiling Issues now and then which I have stopped using.
If this can be fixed that would be awesome.
Owlcat has wise

Leginus

So how does the compiler return errors at the moment??
I don't understand how a 3rd party ide would receive the error messages from the compiler in order to relate these to the ide screen.
Are these written to a log?

Kitty Hello

I think it would have to be a console program like "glbasic.exe" that can do:
glbasic.exe /PLAT=WIN32 /DEBUG "path to gbap file"

Leginus

Ok, i get it, i think.

I didnt realise it didn't do that at the moment.
I read in the documentation that you could now use a 3rd party ide and send a command line to the GPC.exe file.
So that doesnt currently write a log file?

Kitty Hello

GPC compiles GLBasic code to C++.
Afterwards you have to kick a GCC C++ compiler.
And then the "MakeApp" for some platforms to pack everything where it should go.

I think some advanced build tool would be required.

Leginus

Sounds like that could be a lot of fun integrating into a third party :)
But just to clarify, I have no problems with the current IDE.  I think it is fine and I never use code folding anyway.

Moru

Can't you just close all windows in GLB and load up the files in the editor of your choice? Alt-tab to GLB and press F5 to test and then alt-tab back again.

kanonet

No this wont work, 'cuz GLB just compiles when you made some changes in its window. And before it compiles it would save, so alls changes, that you made in a diffrend ide, were lost.
To do it you way would be like:
open in your custom ide -> work -> save -> open GLB -> press F5 -> read errors -> close GLB -> do some changes in your custom ide -> save -> open GLB again -> ...
A bit to much work. ;)
But i have no problems with the ide, it looks a bit old, but it does nearly everything i want, in the way i want it. So its ok for me.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64