News:

*NEW* Current Version on STEAM16.793

Webchat:
Visit the chat

Remake

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Why not simultaneous 1 to 4 players on HTML5?...we can read keyboard, joysticks and mouse right? As for mobile, only with a net play I guess.

Anyways, even if one player only, consider the Y dimension at least. :good:

Edit: Perihelion style 1st person sequences with Y level would be cool :)

Ian Price

Snoopy. You seem to be consumed by the "quality" of the game (to me the quality of the game is dictated by the gameplay, not thte graphics). I'm talking purely about the game core - the code, not the presentation. It is possible to make a Dungeon Master (or even GrimRock) style game in GLBasic. The mazes themselves are constructed purely of 3D cubes. There's nothing in either game that couldn't be replicated in GLBasic.

Just look at Nabz32 3D game on the Pandora (which seems much more advanced than Grimrock) - that shows that 3D games can be created in GLBasic and that they run well, even on lesser machines than pc.

The media assets are something completely different and are not created with or by GLBasic. That's the presentation part, not the core.

Why do you feel that GLBasic cannot replicate these games?

[EDIT]

@erico. 4 player split screen games are indeed possible in GLBasic. I was working on one recently for OUYA (see attachment).

Use keys 1-4 to select screen

1   2

3   4

It also works in 2 player mode, but that's enabled in code. You only get 2 screens in 2 player mode.

Press SPACE to create explosion/crater
Press ENTER to fire weapon

This shows 4 independent scrolling  view points, destructible terrain all in real-time.

The player character is randomised each time.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

playing multiplayer on a single keyboard is not that way on a normal keyboard, due a lots of keys can been stucks, but its could works on a keyboard encodes as uses typical used in a M.A.M.E. Cabinets. This is why we not see that happens so much today, and of course using LAN or WAN to playing today. That even on tablets.

Some games might have good uses of split screen MP of course, like those dunguon crawler, which is designed with that in mind. Those game can been replicate quite easiy by using VIEWPORT command.

Objects Orientation code its self is how over better handled in blitzmax than in glbasic, which would been easier to create mp games.

PS. In your example, up/down is swapped for some reason.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

SnooPI

Ian Price when I talk about Game core, I talk about Game Logic.. the game logic in dungeon master is powerful.

I make many 3D game (in assembler and in C, in software and in opengl) and one in GLB. I mastered the 3d and I know very well that GLB is capable of making good 3D (I think I have said enough in the past)
I also know that the phones and tablets are much much slower in 3d, especially on Android.

You compare the Nabz32's 3D engine and the Grimrock's 3D engine... it's not good.. these are two different engine.
I already made ​​engines as the engine of Nabz32, so I know how it's difficult, and that's why I congratulated him many times (Master nabz32  :))
But the Grimrock's 3D engine is more difficult that you say, it's not just few 3D cubes.

Have you ever programed a 3d engine? (not just a small demo, but a full engine)
it's not easy, and which is why in the video games companies, there are a R&D specifically for that (I know very well what I mean  ;))

Moreover, as I said, I don't intend to do in 3D but in false 3D for better portability to HTML5.

At this time, this remake it's just an idea but I strongly believe in the potential of HTML5.
I think that android market (or others) is monopolized by big societies. There is no more place for small developers. I think HTML5 can help them  :)

PS: sorry if my english is bad  :P

Ian Price

My 4 player game was not created for pc, but for OUYA. It could be playable on pc via joypad. I've only used keys in the WIP for testing purposes only - I don't have 4 OUYA pads, so hot-swap camera viewpoints to accommodate this. 

The scrolling was designed to follow the player movement (once it's implemented), hence why it appears swapped.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

are you intend to do a FirePower (Amiga) remake (which was a 2 player splitscreen game)? Here using humans rather than tanks and using dual stick? That could been fun really.

On iPad the style here could change to been 2player, head to heard like a old arcade tablet game.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

It was going to be closer to Liero than firepower, but it was more of a tech test than anything else.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

Very nice demo Ian...

Tried it ...

Snoopy ,
sorry that Poopy bird game is by someone else... mine are soley Android at present...

http://goo.gl/fDN7UY

http://goo.gl/gPLpxY

http://gazzapper.com/games/

Viking Raiders to be released soon also...

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

SnooPI

very good work MrPlow  :good:
I have a preference for "Galaxy Storm: Galaxian Invader" but I like your "Pooper Bird" icon   =D

10 000 - 50000 installation :P imagine if you had sold  "Pooper Bird" for one dollar  :enc:

SnooPI

Quote from: erico on 2014-Apr-26
Edit: Perihelion style 1st person sequences with Y level would be cool :)

I had never heard of this game... it seems very particular.

mentalthink

Another game, I'm thinking for doing, perhaps can be useful... it's this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3mpTIxYOw

This it's cool for tablets, because you can use your fingers like the weapon... A game for quick movement, perhaps adding something, or can buy money, or guns, for a freemium game.

About the graphics, I think the same says Ian, a best choice it's buy some stuff, really today it's very cheaper buy very good quality, 3d or 2d art, if you know a bit of PS or Gimp, or a bit of 3D, you can add to your games very good quality graphically... Really all people says doesn't important, but if you see for first time a game and the look, don't make feels something, practically you don't buy this game... OK after 5 minuts the graphics are something you don't put too much interesting.

spacefractal

That game have lossy remake of that in few years ago (its was one of the first app im purchased for iOS). Its named West Bang on iOS and its works quite very well for the touchscreen. In that time its was on 3gs.

mentalthink

Yes Spacefractal I knew from the 80's, in Amstrad really I don't like too much, but I think it's something easy and quick to finish... Perhaps the trick can be change the ambiantation... Not West another thing... the problem really in game development it's make something newer... But how many games have to be in the market and old markets.. millions, I think it's very very extrange find a good formula for make money...

HamishTPB

I guess this is the stuff Erico was talking about?  :good:

Seems great minds think alike, I was thinking of a Dungeon Master / Xenomorph engine idea using GLB for GP2X-Pandora systems. Probably android too since it is not much more effort with the great GLB  :-*

Grimrock has set the bar very high but I am not bothered too much about technical wizardry and glossiness (although they are always a good thing) as much as I am in a good RPG engine for my favourite handhelds.

Hamish The PolarBear
GP2X F-100 :: *Broken* Caanoo :: GNU/Linux :: Android 7" Tablet :: Android 10" Tablet :: Android Phone

erico

Yep, also Matchy is figuring a system too here (closer to the last pages we talk about it):
http://www.glbasic.com/forum/index.php?topic=9675.0