Linux editor

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

I was wondering whether anyone has thought about doing a GLBasic editor for Linux.

To save doing everything from scratch, I think the easiest way would be to create a custom wizard in Code::Blocks along with a custom lexer setup.

The only downside is how to get it to handle a GLBasic projects...

Kuron

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-02
I was wondering whether anyone has thought about doing a GLBasic editor for Linux.
I have thought about it, but it would not be a lot of help without a Linux-based compiler, would it?

I currently use Microsoft Small Basic in the classroom, and I have been been working on a Linux IDE for Small Basic because one of my students only has a Linux-based netbook at home.  This way he has no excuse for not doing his homework ;)

MrTAToad

It could either use GCC directly (after using GPC) or call the C compiler than GLBasic uses...

It would be handy especially as there is/will be a dedicated Mac IDE :)

Would make it more appealing to the average Linux user...

If you need any testing with your IDE, I may be able to help!

Kuron

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-15
It could either use GCC directly (after using GPC) or call the C compiler than GLBasic uses...
Unfortunately, GLB only ships with a Windows-based compiler.  There is simply nothing that can be called from a Linux app, is there?

Wouldn't you have to write a hybrid app so that the Linux editor called GLB under Wine in which case you might as well use GLB's editor?

MrTAToad

Probably need to do it the same way Windows does - creates a cywin drive and compiles using that with the Linux libraries

Kuron

That would be beyond my pay grade.  I am very much a Linux newbie.

MrTAToad

Yes, that part would present a slight challenge :)

MrTAToad

The average Linux user :

• Knows how to switch the computer on and off
  • Doesn't need to jot down passwords onto easily viewable bits of paper
  • Knows how to update Linux
  • Isn't afraid of using GUI nor the Terminal
  • Can install packages without help

I think that should define it :)

Kitty Hello

I can make a linux GPC quite easily. I did one for Mac - it's pretty much a console program without any special flavour.
I think it would be really easy to compile on Linux. The only problem might be the project handling. But code::blocks can do that, can't it? I have no idea if a lexer/parser would be possible to make.

ketil

Why not make such an editor in QT4 using QT creator (maybe even use the opensource QT Creator as an foundation).
QT-script for plugins  :)

You could compile the editor to all QT supported OSes.
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."

MrTAToad

Never used QT, myself...

Cliff3D

Personally, I'd have thought making an editor in GLBasic would be amusing - if only to show where GLBasic could do with extending? It could mean that the result is exactly as cross-platform-compatible as GLBasic is, if the compiler portion can be compiled for all the platforms as well. An amusing thought for someone like me who has previously enjoyed tinkering with a version of FORTH which was written in its predecessor.

Kuron

QuotePersonally, I'd have thought making an editor in GLBasic would be amusing
A text editor was one of the very first things I wrote with GLB many, many years ago.  IIRC, I had the source on my old GLB tutorial site.

MrTAToad

Would you be able to get a (basic) Linux version of GPC going ?  I'm writing a (linux) editor (using DDgui), and aside from needing to find an XML system that works better than mine, it would be handy to see if I can get the Linux program to compile on Linux, for Linux...

It wont be able to do a lot of things, like code folding, code completion etc - the idea is to be able to load, save, compile and run on Linux.

ketil

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Sep-23
Would you be able to get a (basic) Linux version of GPC going ?  I'm writing a (linux) editor (using DDgui), and aside from needing to find an XML system that works better than mine, it would be handy to see if I can get the Linux program to compile on Linux, for Linux...

It wont be able to do a lot of things, like code folding, code completion etc - the idea is to be able to load, save, compile and run on Linux.

There are some XML libraries for FreeBasic (www.freebasic.net).
Those should be quick to port.
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."