virtualbox

Previous topic - Next topic

jtassinari

Hi there,
I have been looking around to get some info about mac and virtual box, but it looks like i'm not getting anywhere.
I'm going to say goodbye to my old pc, and i'm planning to buy a Mac. Probably it's a mad choice, but it's quite cool a mac-laptop.
My question is about VirtualBox within win xppro, where i'd like to run GLBasic in a shell.
Had anyone succeded in this?
Does anyone think it could be done?
Should i better consider bootcamp instead of a virtualbox with windows xppro on it?

thanks everyone for any suggestion,
cheers,

jTassinari
- [ http://www.absolute-line.net ] -
(please forgive my bad English)

Ian Price

I don't know about VirtualBox or bootcamp, but I can heartily recommend Parallels on the Mac. I've got XP (and its software) running flawlessly on there, including GLB.

It's not cheap though - look on eBay for a deal; that's how I got mine. There is a free 30day demo version available too IIRC.
I came. I saw. I played.

Neurox

Ciao,
ti rispondo in italiano che così è chiaro per tutti e due :)
io uso iMac (Snow Leopard) con VirtualBox e WinXP da oltre due anni e non mi ha mai dato
problemi. Tutte le APP che ho sviluppato con GLBasic/XCode sono state create così.

Bye bye,
Paolo
Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for screen printers | www.4pellicole.it

jtassinari

Grazie Paolo,
sei stato gentilissimo!!!
Ora sperpero i miei miseri risparmi e mi prendo in macnook i3, vediamo cosa mi succede :D

Ian, i have seen Parallels, so far it's not a freewere (while virtualbox it is) so i'm not sure i'll think of it for a while having in my mind to buy a new macbook, but thanks indeed for your replay =)

ciao,

J

Gary

One issue I found with virtualbox is if you are running a dual monitor set up with one on top of the other. I have my bottom monitor with all the taskbars on it and the top as extra workspace. When I move the VB window to the top screen and click on it to give it focus the mouse pointer goes all over the place and ends up being mirrored on the bottom screen!

This of course is the windows version but as they use the same base source it may well be there in the mac one as well. Parallels does not have this problem. The other bonus with parallels is dragging files to and from the virtual machine window or running windows apps while giving the impression windows is not running (I.E. they look and behaive just like a native Mac app). yes it may seem a chunk to shell out but it is much better than using bootcamp (load, compile, shutdown, load OSX, compile in xcode, find it doesnt work, shut down, back to windows and repeat).

mentalthink

Hi jssatari, I use Virtual Box and Paralells Desktops, and it´s too much better paralell desktops, have an option to fuse the 2 desktops Mac and Win Xp or 7, you can drag and drop from Win to Mac osx, hyper-easy. Virtual Box don´t have this 2 little but powerfull options.

Virtual Box is good becuase it´s free, but Parallels ins´t too much expensive, i think round about 70€ if I´m not wrong

jtassinari

Hi Gary, Mentalthink,

thanks for your suggestion!
Drag and drop from a system to another sounds great, copy and paste looks like a nice options too, really usefull most of all if I'm using something like a rdp on 2 computers over a lan or internet.
BTW, when I have a work-folder shared on the same machine, among 2 OSs running, it's faster, and this would avoid also to have different version of the same file (and a SVN is always a great  friend :D).
Btw, i'll give a try to Parallels to see if i feel it comfortable.
Here is a question about it =) does anyone know if i can run the guest-os at full-resolution fullscreen without the "mac features" to pain my work?

cheers,
jTassinari

mentalthink

jtassinari, I don´t rembenber well about the resolution about the host and client OS, but I stay sure this is yes. Well how I comment you can have the 2 desktops fuse in only One, you can see your mac osx, but you can make anything like windows, for me it´s the better virtual Machine, too much more than Virtual BOX, a part, the fact you can drag an drop files between Mac os and Windows, it´s very very useful and quikly in the pipeline of the work.

Iván J.