Boardgames - Submbissions

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobiag

Quote from: FutureCow on 2010-Feb-20@Nobiag,
I've taken on board what you've written, thank you for the feedback. I think you may be using the term "polish" incorrectly (at least in my book anyway!  =D) - to me polish is all the little details that round out a game. They're not necessarily graphics. Polish includes things like getting all your sounds the same volume, having clear and concise instructions, making sure there's no icons getting chopped off or breaks in consistency. It does include graphics, but it doesn't mean graphics.

i know it doesn't mean graphics, but to be honest the graphics are the only thing bad i see in Battleship. And i just realized its the same thing with almost all the other games too. So Mastermind just stuck out to me, because its fun, the gameplay is good and in addition to that the graphics are great.

- Don't be Angry Human has nice ingame Graphics, but plays too slow and i don't like the menu graphics.

- Stop the Thief is hard to control and it just crashed. So i have to admit i didn't play a full round of it. (and there are some graphic issues again^^)
Just a little example of where the graphics really affect the gameplay: In the instructions the text is hard to read, so its no fun to read the instructions, but you definitely need to read them. And its very confusing, that you need the mouse to control in the game, when you can't use it in the menu.

- Happy Happy Hippos is actually quite fun to play. But when a round ends there could be a better way to show the winner. (and well... the graphics...^^)

- Draco looks overall very good, but there are some minor graphic issues (for example the menus aren't perfectly readable because of the background and the font). Big thing is that the rules don't work, of course he wrote them in this thread now, but they would have been important for that game. Oh and btw i like some details in this game, like the jiggling(?) dungeon pieces, when you drag them with the mouse.

- 4gewinnt: Worst thing (besides the graphics) is that the game ends after one round. But i like how the game window is called "main_tetris", made me laugh  :D

oh and i really do appreciate the work that was put in all the games, especially since i did not participate and i almost never finish the games that i've started. So Neurox is right, i should stop the nagging when i can't make it better.

ynbniar

Quote from: Nobiag on 2010-Feb-20

- Stop the Thief is hard to control and it just crashed. So i have to admit i didn't play a full round of it. (and there are some graphic issues again^^)
Just a little example of where the graphics really affect the gameplay: In the instructions the text is hard to read, so its no fun to read the instructions, but you definitely need to read them. And its very confusing, that you need the mouse to control in the game, when you can't use it in the menu.

Thanks for the feedback  :good:

In fact I'm changing the control system right now...the entire game will be playable with only the mouse (hopefully  ;) ).

I have not had the build I made for the competition crash yet sorry about that...can you remember what was happening? Was it human player turn or CPU turn?

Kuron

As somebody who mainly writes "board games", I found this competition very interesting.

Nobiag

Quote from: ynbniar on 2010-Feb-20In fact I'm changing the control system right now...the entire game will be playable with only the mouse (hopefully  ;) ).

sounds good :)

Quote from: ynbniar on 2010-Feb-20I have not had the build I made for the competition crash yet sorry about that...can you remember what was happening? Was it human player turn or CPU turn?

I believe it was after a cpu player caught a thief.

oh and btw: did you take photos of the games figures and cut them out?

ynbniar

Quote from: Nobiag on 2010-Feb-20
oh and btw: did you take photos of the games figures and cut them out?

Yes...2 reasons for this...

1. It was easy and quick.
2. I like the way they look, though I think a shadow would be good if I could make it look OK.

In fact my original plan was to use ALL the original 70's artwork from the game but it turned out I had to draw the board myself.

Kitty Hello

In the German forum people find it unfair if only 3 judges vote. So, it would be something like "Pop Idol" shows.

So, who wants a public poll instead of that?

Albert

It's a good idea, maybe.
Gernot: I thought games will be recompiled with a full SDK, but some games still contains the DEMO watermark.

WPShadow

I think a public poll is a good thing! The 3 jugdes are fair too!

I think Gernot should make the decision, how the voting goes!
AMD X2 4600, 2 GB Ram, ATI X1950 XTX, XP PRO SP2: GLB Premium 10.beta_dingsi, <(´.´<) Kirby Dance (>`.`)>
http://lostrevenant.blogspot.com
alea iacta est

FutureCow

I think the competition rules stated that Gernot would judge and 4 months down the track is a bit late to be complaining.  :)
It doesn't worry me one way or the other though!

Neurox

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Feb-22
So, who wants a public poll instead of that?

Hi Gernot,
for me one way or the other are equal!   :|

Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for screen printers | www.4pellicole.it

FutureCow

Can we have a poll as to whether we should have a poll?  :blink:

Kitty Hello

No idea. Should we have a poll?

Albert

A poll about the poll?  :help:

Schranz0r

A poll sounds fair!  :booze:
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

LQ75

"I think the competition rules stated that Gernot would judge"
agreed