Wiz games - music stutters?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Hi Gernot

I've just got myself a Wiz and compiled B'lox! to run on it. All is fine except the Wiz stutters while playing the music, even when nothing is happening on screen. B'lox! certainly isn't a CPU demanding game.

I'm not sure if this is a Wiz issue or GLBasic, but other Wiz games (which are far more demanding) don't have the same problem.

Here's a link to the Wiz version (identical at the moment to the GP2X version). http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/Wiz_Blox.rar

Wiz firmware 1.0.0 BTW
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

Sorry, i dont have a wiz myself.
But i know a little bit about sound....

Curious, are you using wav files or midi?
midi might be better since they are tiny little files?
Perhaps the sound files are too big in filesize?
Are you using multiple buffers in the editor options?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Ian Price

The music files are .MP3s and all run fine on GP2X - it is unlikely that filesize is an issue.

I don't use MIDI files in my projects as I can't tolerate them. Most sound awful nowadays. They were acceptable in the 16bit era, but not now.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

Are you using multiple buffers in the editor options?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Ian Price

I hadn't tried altering the values before, but I have now -

It doesn't make any difference, whether the number is 0 or higher - it still stutters and speeds up/down. :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

If 1.0 still the current version?
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Ian Price

No: 1.0.1 is the current firmware version, but the update only fixes screen tearing when playing scrolling games, so I haven't updated it yet.

I came. I saw. I played.

Steinbock

Try to play the music as OGG instead of MP3.
Time will come. It's just a matter of time...

Ian Price

@Ocean: While this is indeed possible, other languages also use extra threads for sound/music output and I've seen/heard nothing about them having similar problems. Dunno.

@Steinbock: I've already tried that - .OGG doesn't play at all, on pc, GP2x or Wiz.

Does GLBasic actually support .OGG? I know the online help states -
Quote"All music-formats with installed codecs are supported. (midi, wav, mp3...)"
but I've never had any luck getting .OGG to work.

Gernot... :(

[EDIT] Actually, I've just discovered something else that might be causing the problems - key polling. If in-game you bring up a menu, the music plays fine. In these menus, the program is not polling as many keys. Hmmmm...

I'll have a looksee and let you all know.
I came. I saw. I played.

Steinbock

By me it works with OGG (MP3 stutters too). WIZ-FW 1.0.0 and newest downloadable glbasic demo-version 6.247.

Ian Price

Steinbock: Are you saying that the game stutters for you too? That doesn't surprise me, as someone else (who knows a lot more about Wiz than pretty much all of us put together) says it does too.

I am using the full GLB with latest updates.

Maybe my .MP3->.OGG conversion program (Audacity) isn't converting the music format properly? Hmmm...

Anyway, I'm just testing my first theory first and then will try to get .OGG working.

Cheers :)

I came. I saw. I played.

Steinbock

QuoteSteinbock: Are you saying that the game stutters for you too?
Yes.

With my own program MP3 stutters but OGG works fine.

Ian Price

Would you mind sending me a small working .ogg file so that I can test with that then please?
My attempts at getting working .OGGs from my .MP3s are constant failures. :(

My email addy is - iprice AT supanet DOT com

Are you using PlayMusic "XXX.OGG",1 to play your music?

[EDIT] Even using a different converter program, I still can't hear .OGG music in GLB.
I came. I saw. I played.

Steinbock

OGG-File is zipped in attachement (maybe other need it too).

I'm using
Code (glbasic) Select
PLAYMUSIC "./isdo/sfx/music.ogg",TRUE
MUSICVOLUME 0.8

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ian Price

That's still not playing on my laptop, however it plays fine on my Wiz - I'll convert the other stuff now (with the other converter) and give it a try :)

I wonder if my laptop is missing a codec or something? .OGGs play fine in other apps. though. Strange.

Cheers Steinbock :)
I came. I saw. I played.