Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

matchy

In regards to clearing up the straight or slang tounges of here; 'chuck' is when you throw something or vomit. 'Chook' is chicken, as in alive or dead animal chicken or human old lady. A chick is a baby chicken or young lady, which is common.

hey r0ber7, got any videos updates?

r0ber7

Quote from: matchy on 2011-Dec-12

Probably somewhere the end of this week / beginning next week. I want the endboss fight and level 3 to be in there. I've got some real world stuff going on. Three christmas celebrations to prepare for, job, a get together with friends to do some jammin', girlfriend. But I think I can get most of my ideas roughly worked out before saturday, so that's when I'll post a new vid (hopefully). Most of my spare time goes into this game, but that's cool. It's fun.  :good: And maybe, maybe, maybe, I can give you guys a christmas present too. ;)

As for the chicken, on TIGSource a few people have mentioned that it doesn't really look like one. I figure they have a point, the size of the head isn't very true to proportions. But I'm not changing the shape of the bird. So I could change the sfx and call it a viking pigeon, but then again I really like the chicken sounds. And I don't want to call it a viking bird, doesn't have the same jazz to it. So, even if it doesn't look like a chicken, it'll make chicken sounds and I'll call it chicken. Or better yet, it's a chicken human cross breed...

Yes. Loki, the viking god of the underworld, has been crossbreeding vikings with animals. And so the story starts forming.  :D

Ian Price

You call it what you like - it's your game :)

And for those doubters (if they don't like it, tough), just say it's stylized.

Probably the least chicken looking chicken I've ever seen, but you know it's supposed to be a chicken.
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-11
X fix weird glitch with powerups (game thinks coins are keys?)
X fix glitch in text system (possibly linked to the one above)
X draw a nest for the chicken (if possible, with human skulls in it  :O)
- conjure up level 3
X link villagers to text system so they can talk
- draw some intro art for beginning story
- pixel sheep herder
X "falling" platforms
- draw bigass tree to climb in level 2

Got some coding done, worked a bit on chicken animation.

Edit: added sfx for chicken and the exploding eggs. Finished merging code of NPCs and the text system. Linked to animation, so this will make it very easy for me in the future. If I want to have, for example, a sheep herder that walks around and stops when you're nearby to tell you a story, I just have to draw his animations and edit his info in the level editor, and I'm done. :)

r0ber7

Today I had a day off. Result:

- added code for animated rays of light (same as in last vid, except now it morphs around as thin rays appear/disappear at random) looks quite nice.
- pixeled all remaining frames for the viking chicken
- pixeled a nest for the chicken (skulls included)
- pixeled a sheep herder / old man villager

I've set my focus on getting everything done I want to get done before a first alpha release. This list may change somewhat, but here's what's left for now.

- design level 3
- draw intro art for storyline
- set up story in game
- draw big tree for in level 2
- add HUD gfx & code
- balance things out a bit

Trying to get a public alpha out before the end of december. Wish me luck.

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-12
Probably the least chicken looking chicken I've ever seen, but you know it's supposed to be a chicken.

This one took me more time to catch then the original. Although I agree the original first looked like a hawk baby for me but a second later I got it. But I like the looks.

r0ber7

Thanks, I prefer the last one. I like the ring of feathers. Had work today, but I pixeled a HUD + added code for it anyway. Also ran into a slight problem with the animated lightbeams, but I'l figure that out tomorrow.

r0ber7

- added mana & tweaked HUD
- pixeled more villagers
- pixeled small death anim

Villagers:

r0ber7

I've made level 3 today and fixed some more glitches that appeared around the text system and enemy movements.
Planning to improve the level editor a bit, making level 3 took me longer than it could have, and what I'm thinking of would reduce loading time too, I think...

matchy

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-12

Probably somewhere the end of this week / beginning next week.

:zzz:  :whistle:

r0ber7

Quote from: matchy on 2011-Dec-18
Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-12

Probably somewhere the end of this week / beginning next week.

:zzz:  :whistle:

Still sunday here. ;)

Alright, here's level 3. The endboss isn't very strong yet cause I'm testing stuff with attack patterns and whatnot, and it's not very polished yet, but I said I'd give you a vid so here you are. :) I'm saving the music for the demo release so no music yet sorry. :P

New:

- viking chicken endboss (gfx still needs some refining)
- village & villagers
- HUD
- sheep
- more stuff but you can't see it, it's under the hood

Speaking of which, today I optimized loading times.

Level 3 grew quite big because I wanted a mountain, so I introduced some new algorithms. Result:
Tile processing: from 6441 ms to 42 ms
Parallax forest processing: from 1724 ms to 50 ms
Loading time of static objects: from 1652 ms to 369 ms

matchy

The latest video demo looks very cool so well done so far. I say, I love the fire attack!  8)

erico

lovely so far, the boss chicken is great, maybe it may fly a little? just to try avoid attacks?

...you could sure get rid of heavy words like death kill and so on, I would try to keep it into fantasy but avoid hardcore stuff.
try mold the story to something that can be away from hard violence, like took them away instead of killed them and so on.
just my opinion :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2011-Dec-19
lovely so far, the boss chicken is great, maybe it may fly a little? just to try avoid attacks?

Yep. Coming up.

...you could sure get rid of heavy words like death kill and so on, I would try to keep it into fantasy but avoid hardcore stuff.
try mold the story to something that can be away from hard violence, like took them away instead of killed them and so on.
just my opinion :good:

Good point. Will do.

Worked on a climbing animation today. Looking halfway finished. I have little motivation these days, I think I need a break. But...

I bought GLBasic today! Multiplayer here I come!  =D =D =D

matchy

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2011-Dec-20

Worked on a climbing animation today. Looking halfway finished. I have little motivation these days, I think I need a break. But...

I bought GLBasic today! Multiplayer here I come!  =D =D =D

I don't understand why you note schedules and you are now placing pressure on yourself and then telling us when we are just spectators. No one has mentioned your timeline before. Relax...GLB is supposed to be FUN!!!!

Congrats on your purchase and multiplayer is certainly an exciting way to be motivated. ;)