Red Wizard Island

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

I have just always "rolled it into one" so to speak, just like human can mean male or female that's the same way as I classed chickens & never really thought of it in a gender way.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

Chicken is indeed the correct generic term for a non-specified gender.

It's like a geese, swans, ducks, dogs, cats etc. You can see the difference between males and females, but we don't generally call them by their gender descriptor.
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

Code (glbasic) Select

FUNCTION chicken : age, gender$

IF age > 1
  SELECT gender$
    CASE "male"
      term$ = "rooster"
    CASE "female"
      term$ = "hen"
      term$ = "chicken"
    ENDSELECT
ELSE
  term$ = "chick"
ENDIF

RETURN term$

ENDFUNCTION

r0ber7

before:

after:

What you think? Still WIP.

Zapp

The Feathers look a little more like cracked ground. I dont really have any suggestions to fix it though :/

r0ber7

I'm gonna try making them bigger and less "sharp" tomorrow. Also gonna spice up the shading. It's the first endboss so he has to look the part. :)
Just got back from work, drew level 3 in my sketchbook while I was there. I've also coded all of the chicken's AI and attacks and so on. So I'm getting pretty close to a video of the wizard vs. viking chicken battle. If all goes well, I'll have that up and running after next week.

matchy

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-10
Chicken is indeed the correct generic term for a non-specified gender.

It's like a geese, swans, ducks, dogs, cats etc. You can see the difference between males and females, but we don't generally call them by their gender descriptor.

Is a chicken = rooster? It confuses me when I go to Red Rooster. I think the confusion is that the slang word "chick" refers to a young female human. Poultry could also be vaguely used to label chickens but then we could be called Earthlings.

Ian Price

An adult male chicken is a rooster/cockerel; we don't tend to use the term rooster over here (UK), but it is widely known and accepted.

Australians tend to call chickens chucks - not sure if that's just a slang word or that's the generic term over there, instead of chicken.

Earthlings could be a generic term for any life form living on this planet... :S We call ourselves humans, but Martians (etc.) might have another term for us. Probably a swear of some sort! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

r0ber7

This one's a she. She drops explosive eggs on wizards.  :O
What do you think of the gfx? I like this one best so far.

Ian Price

That's much better than the "feathered" one :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Ruidesco

That giant hen looks so disapproving of your magical shenanigans. :D
The only thing she lacks IMO is some separation between the proper helmet and its horns. Great work! :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Dec-11
That giant hen looks so disapproving of your magical shenanigans. :D
The only thing she lacks IMO is some separation between the proper helmet and its horns. Great work! :good:

Thanks. The horns are a good point, it had crossed my mind. Will work on that and the remaining frames tomorrow. Then I've got all the necessary ingredients for a good boss fight. Some other things on the agenda:

- fix weird glitch with powerups (game thinks coins are keys?)
- fix glitch in text system (possibly linked to the one above)
- draw a nest for the chicken (if possible, with human skulls in it  :O)
- conjure up level 3
- link villagers to text system so they can talk
- draw some intro art for beginning story
- pixel sheep herder
- "falling" platforms
- draw bigass tree to climb in level 2

If I'm not mistaken, after I've checked these off my list, it may be ready for a small public testing.  :good:

LineOf7s

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-11
Australians tend to call chickens chucks - not sure if that's just a slang word or that's the generic term over there, instead of chicken.
At the risk of getting bogged down in this   ;)  the Australian term is "chooks" (rhymes with "books") and is a slang term for chickens - of either gender.

Hatonastick

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Dec-11
Not in my Australia.  Anyone starts using words like that around me they are likely to end up getting shot.  :P

Seriously though, I've never heard that one before and I grew up on a farm.  Might be an east coast thing maybe.

Edit: Erm ok I'm slow, you are talking accents aren't you.  I had to say it out loud (in my head) before I got it.  ::)  I don't talk like that, neither does anyone else I know but then again I live in South Australia which has a different accent (generally) to the east coast, north coast or west even.  According to an Irishman I met once, I sound English not Australian.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Ian Price

Maybe it's spelled chooks. But several Aussies I know say it. I don't know which parts they come from though. Like I said it might just be a slang thing. Dunno.
I came. I saw. I played.