Tile maps on PDA...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Before I spend to much time on it. What experiences, if any, has anyone had with a scrolling tilemap on the  PDA platform? Is it a practicle method of scrolling the screen, has anyone managed more that 1 layer? Should I go with the old fashioned flip screen arcade adventure aproach?

Any info apreaciated,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

See Wumbo's Adventure.You can compile a PocketPC port of it. ToGi did a great job improving it. So, it's 1 layer scrolling 320x240 by 30fps. But it does a lot of stuff in the backgorund (including: moving monsters, boxes, toggling states of blocks, keys/doors and so on...)
The 2nd layer has been dropped due to speed reeasons, though.

bigsofty

Ah, ty Ill have a wee look.

Oh, byt the way, cling on the websit Wumbo link gives this URL in Firefox...

/data/games/http://www.glbasic.com/files/wumbo_ce.zip

I got the file tho.

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

Having a little trouble the exe in the rar wont run and if I try and compile the Wumbo prohect I get...
Code (glbasic) Select

GPC - GLBasic Precompiler V.2006.137 - 3D, NET
compiling...
MainGame.gbas (40 KB)
Editor.gbas (15 KB)
Wordcount:2552 commands

compile+link:
C:/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/gpc_temp0.cpp: In function `int
   __GLBASIC__::__MainGameSub_()':
C:/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/gpc_temp0.cpp:14: error: `ShowDemo'
   undeclared (first use this function)
C:/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/gpc_temp0.cpp:14: error: (Each
   undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears
   in.)
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

In maingame.gbas - at the to, there's a call to "ShowDemo" - kick it!

bigsofty

Linking error, seems to be trying to use win32 linker.

This is a recurring problem I have been having in GLBasic, no matter what you set the target platform as in the project options, it seems to default to Win32 in the project options. I set the platform in the project options, apply, save it and go back to project options dialog again and its back to Win32?!?!

The only way I can set another platform is to compile for multiplaform and then deselect 3 platforms, leaving my target.

Code (glbasic) Select

GPC - GLBasic Precompiler V.2006.137 - 3D, NET
compiling...
MainGame.gbas (40 KB)
Editor.gbas (15 KB)
Wordcount:2551 commands

compile+link:
success

linking:
C:/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Win32/Bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/../../../crt2.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Compile for WinCE is Shift-F8 + Select WinCE + OK.
Do not press a compile button twice or something.
If the error happens all the time, reinstall GLBasic and get the latest updates again. the crt2.o file problem seems strange...

bigsofty

I think Ill try a re-install, thank you for the advice.

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

Reinstallation helped a lot. Wumbo 2, is very inpressive on the PDA! :)

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)