DAW for game music

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Anyone here using a DAW for there music?

If so could you recommend one and give your reasons why?

I'm looking into it but my head is spinning with the different ones available.  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Schranz0r

Take a look at LMMS.
Its free and like Fruity Loops.

https://lmms.io/

I think it's a good way to start, and there is a 8-bit Synth in it :P
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

bigsofty

Is this the one you use Schranz0r?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Looks interesting, will check further.

spacefractal

im used flstudio, mostly with older version like version 11, because im is fan of block patteren and the newer version changed all shortcut. anyway you can download any older and newer version from thier homepage. so its not a problemo what version you ends using.

Recetnly im have do used Vortex Tracker 2.5 for doing various AY based music.

But there is various dac and no one is perfect. So its taste in mind.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

bigsofty

Some excellent suggestions but I may go a more comercial route.

Looking at Tacktion Waveform, Mixcraft or Reaper. Thinking of maybe using one for non-game music too but its too early to invest in the big boys(Cubase, Ableton etc.)  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Schranz0r

Quote from: bigsofty on 2021-Aug-03
Is this the one you use Schranz0r?

No, i use Reason from Reason Studios (former Propellerhead).
But Fruityloops is also a nice place to start with. (Tons of tutorials!)

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

bigsofty

Thanks Schranz0r, I'd forgotten about Reason. I'm still working my way through the various demos. So far Mixcraft is nice, simple to pickup. Waveform is great but it's very buggy with 3rd party VSTs. Reaper is also great but the interface is a bit clunky. I will try FL and Reason next. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that there may not be such a thing as the perfect DAW, the one with the least amount of usability compromises may be the "best" at the end of the day. Still it's a bit of fun window shopping all the same.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

bigsofty

LOVED Traktion Waveform but I tried a few VSTs and quite a lot didn't work(failed to initialise).  :'(
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Schranz0r

You have to look if its 32bit or 64bit versions of the VST/VSTi.
If you have a 64bit DAW you can normaly use both.

PC:

spacefractal

late repley. Im have since last month converted most of my songs to been playable in FL Studio 20.8. Fl Studio 20.9 is out, but still not tested. Just damn, because... its have finally included Sound Font player in 64bit, hehe.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/