md2 to ddd

Previous topic - Next topic

SnooPI

Why the difference in size is so important when converting a .md2 to .ddd ? (for example 1.5mo  MD2 --> 8.5mo DDD   :blink:)

I think the converter doesn't convert only the keyframes, but convert all.
But i'm not sure  :(

mentalthink

Yes it's the problem of the exporter in DDA I think you get less wigth but it's too much high too.
I think the converted is thinked for static objects, when I did some animation only with 50 frames the weight of the file it's reallly HIGH.

I think Gernnot have to put the .DAE option it's a easy importer , exporter and you have in only 1 or 2 Mb grear animations... and prectically al the soft in the 3D have this exporter---

SnooPI

Mentalthink it's not with the .DDA (ascci format of .DDD) but with the .DDD
That is why it's very strange.

Quote from: mentalthink on 2014-Apr-21
I think Gernnot have to put the .DAE option it's a easy importer , exporter and you have in only 1 or 2 Mb grear animations... and prectically al the soft in the 3D have this exporter---

yes good idea...

but I think to make a program that reads and draw directly .ms3d format.
the problem is that after I also should reprogram all the functions of collisions ( yes with the skeleton animation I also should do any collision with OBB : oriented bounding box... big work  :()

mentalthink

yes Snoopy the curios it's in DDA it's ASCCI sometimes the files are less weight than DDD...

About your exporter and colliision , I don't have to much idea, but if you get the size and width of the mesh and put a simple box or sphere?¿

For measure the distance really I don't know how do it, but I always thinked in make for boxes , from the sides and boottom of tob and then make collision whit the mesh , and looking distance between the boxes in the same axis you have the width and heigth, I think this have to works, never try but,,  :noggin:

I continue saying the best it's put the .DAE, the problem it's in the forum not too much people do 3D with GLbasic.

erico

A DAE is pretty good and a very trustworthy format. It is the only format so far that goes around multiple 3d packages without problems. :good:
I also think it can also carry scene infos, parenting, animation and the likes.

SnooPI

to have good collisions with a skeleton animation : ABB or just one OBB is not sufficient :

..... NOT GOOD.....

..... NOT GOOD.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnpKI1ejQg
.... GOOD ......

the second problem if I make a ms3d loader (or DAE) is that we can no longer use a shoebox  :(

I don't know what is the best solution   :S

SnooPI

another solution :  improve the MD2 converter but for this we should perfectly know the DDD format.

it's easy because md2 and ddd both use a vertex animation system.

with this solution we can use a shoebox.

SnooPI

in fact, after several test, the only format that is perfectly converted by the glb converter, it's the obj format  :(

decidedly the ms3d format (or dae) might not be a bad idea.

erico

OBJ is fine, but (as discussed before) only triangles. A quad capable format would not be bad while looking into the future. :whistle:

GLBasic Converter gasps with a few OBJ outputs from some programs around. In my case, I have to pass my OBJ through blender before GLB accepts it.

I would not know anything about collision in 3d but the sphere and box settings, and then we have that skeleton problem you showed.
If I´d have to do a 3d game today, I´d probably try to work with full models (no skeletons) and then set a bunch of collision cubes around on important object parts per frame, ye, suppose it is a 3d fighting game. It would be just like box2d, but box 3d :S

I have seen bullet physics library stuff wrapped into GLB. Would it be possible to use its collision part? Or maybe from another physics lib?

SnooPI

your idea is good for a 2.5d fighting game, but I'm not sure for a full 3d game.. the collisions will not be accurate enough.

Quote from: Snoopy on 2014-Apr-21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHnpKI1ejQg
.... GOOD ......

I can do that without a 3D physic engine (I already made a 3d engine with this system in C)  I could translate it in GLB.. but:

1/ I am lazy  =D
2/ The failure to use the shoebox is a big problem for me. This problem doesn't motivate me  :(

The best solution : Gernot give the DDD file format specifications! :rant:

:D ;)

Then we could convert in any format we want  :)

SnooPI

I already know the response : 

Gernot  : "use DDA format... looser" 

:D

erico

I would like to know the reasons.
I mean, we can poly things inside GLB, what is the deal with converting externals?

The only reason I see is that there may be plans with the format, and releasing it soon might branch it way too much.
Would there be other reasons?

Don´t be lazy looser! :D :D :-[

mentalthink

Snoopy and make an Opengl exporter, I read and I think can't have to be complex, make an exporter from cinema or Blender have to be easy, only it's put the triangles like in OpenGL...

The 3d Physics engine I think will be available in 2300 A.C  :D :D :D, we have a port of Bullets, and it's done completly, only the problem in devce moviles don't works, but seems it's a lazy thing..

SnooPI

Quote from: erico on 2014-Apr-22
The only reason I see is that there may be plans with the format, and releasing it soon might branch it way too much.
Would there be other reasons?

I understood nothing  :D
Are your sure it's in english?  :P

Quote from: erico on 2014-Apr-22
Don´t be lazy looser! :D :D :-[

I understand that  :D 
:P

Even if I don't understand everything:
Erico Yes you can convert a poly inside GLB with the X_OBJSTART function, but I want to use the shoebox. And the shoebox is only for LOADSPRITE, LOADSOUND, LOADFONT, LOADBMP, BLENDSCREEN, GETFILE... I can't read directly md2 (or my format) in a shoebox  :(

Quote from: mentalthink on 2014-Apr-22
Snoopy and make an Opengl exporter, I read and I think can't have to be complex, make an exporter from cinema or Blender have to be easy, only it's put the triangles like in OpenGL...

The 3d Physics engine I think will be available in 2300 A.C  :D :D :D, we have a port of Bullets, and it's done completly, only the problem in devce moviles don't works, but seems it's a lazy thing..

:D
One day I will make (or translate) a physic engine in GLB for all devices. (if I translate,  it will be probably the Tokamak physic engine)

When?
When I'm less lazy  (in 2000 A.C)  =D

In waiting, someone would be interested by a .ms3d loader in GLB? (without the use of shoebox of course  :()

erico

hehe :D

I meant. Why would Gernot not share the DDD format specs? Maybe he has plans with it for the future.