Nag Screen/Box

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

Quote from: doimus on 2010-Apr-15
I would put that stuff in "Project Options".

A checkbox whether the message would appear at all and a field where user can enter a string that will be shown on screen.
Agree 100%   Frankly the text I would want displayed would vary by game, as I would want the game's name on the title bar of the message box.

Kuron

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Apr-15this would also reflect bad on GLB, which is the reason Gernot put in such a message box at all.
The only reason it would reflect bad on GLB is because it is in there.  If this screen wasn't in there, nobody would know a shoddy game was written in GLB.  But since this screen is in there, shoddy games will make GLB look bad because only GLB made games have this ugly screen in their exes ;)

Kitty Hello

ok, deal. I'll implement that it tries to read the text file "opengldriver.txt" from the .app directory. If it's there, I'll display that. If it's empty I'll display nothing.

Ian Price

QuoteThe only reason it would reflect bad on GLB is because it is in there.  If this screen wasn't in there, nobody would know a shoddy game was written in GLB.  But since this screen is in there, shoddy games will make GLB look bad because only GLB made games have this ugly screen in their exes ;)

I've seen shoddy games with shoddy messages written in every language - why shouldn't GLB be allowed to compete? ;) :P

A shoddy game written in any language doesn't put me off the language itself - just the developer. ;)
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

Thanks Gernot!

Now we can write driver warnings in Klingon! Qapla'!

backslider

S. P. Gardebiter

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Apr-15
ok, deal. I'll implement that it tries to read the text file "opengldriver.txt" from the .app directory. If it's there, I'll display that. If it's empty I'll display nothing.

Hm. I don't know if I like that o:
Because it has disadvantages:

1. You can't define more than one language.
2. The opengldriver.txt is readable for everyone. If everyone can read a errormsg trough just looking at the textfiles the program comes with and is able to modify it, it will probably make a nonprofessional impression. :/
3. Showing no error message, isn't an option for me too D:

I would like to display it in multiple languages, without giving the user the possibility to modify and read it D: Couldn't you make a function that checks for it and returns either true or false? Please? D:
Because then I could program a function which only displays it once and so on.
~ Cave Story rules! ~

Kitty Hello

OK, I'll do both. I'll do a command for that and if there is no call to that and you have software, it tries to load noopengldriver.txt and if that's not there you get my message.

Kuron

QuoteOK, I'll do both. I'll do a command for that and if there is no call to that and you have software, it tries to load noopengldriver.txt and if that's not there you get my message.
Although I do not use Shoebox files on Windows (I prefer Molebox), the noopengldriver.txt should be able to be read from shoebox files for those who use them?