Licence for old versions of GLBASIC

Previous topic - Next topic

loftcat

I've been testing my games with an old version of GLBASIC (v12) to compile for Mac OS x86. I'm looking to make the game available for vintage Macs and I've had some success with compiling and running on my old Mac running 10.11 El Capitan. However I'm getting the demo message flashing up in the top corner of the screen. I'm a paid up user of v16 via Steam, is there a way to get a licence key to use the older versions as registered? :)

dreamerman

Generally GLBasic licence code is kept in 'AppData\Local\Temp\glbasic\glblicence.inc' file, that's generated with project compilation, it contains 'encrypted/hashed' email and licence code. Old (standalone) version code differs a bit from Steam version but after decoding should be usable to use in pre-Steam version.
In short: maybe ask Gernot for proper licence code for old version (submit your Steam profile for verification), decode licence.inc to use Steam credentials in older version (not sure how difficult it will be), or try using my code editor (works with GLB v14/15/16, but I didn't test compilation for all platforms). Another workaround but not tested, would be compile any project with Steam version to get 'glblicence.inc', use properties-advanced to set that file to admin created with 'read-only' flag for other users, so your user account would not be able to overwrite/delete it when you would use older GLB version.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

loftcat

Thanks for the reply  :)
Not sure about my decoding skills with the licence file but I've sent Kitty Hello a message so hopefully I'll hear soon.

By the way I think the contact form for Gernot on the website contact page is broken, I'll let him know hopefully when I get in touch through the forum.

loftcat

Quick update, Gernot's been in touch with a licence key that I can use with v12, and the good news is newly compiled versions of my game now work on my Mac without 'Demo' appearing on the screen - success!  :booze:

dreamerman

btw. wasn't v14 or v15 last version to support MacOS? You just needed to download additional platforms from GLB website in zip packages. As I'm curious later (post v12) additions/updates were also added to Mac part as core code for iOS/Mac still exists in GLB source, so maybe it could be possible to prepare Mac project with newer GLB version with some changes to platform.ini or something.
So you are running your project on M1 mac? Are there any graphical issues/glitches?

loftcat

I think I can compile my project for Mac OS in GLBASIC v14 but I've only used v12 so far. I've been compiling v12 because, as far as I know, there's no difference in terms of Mac OS compiling in v14, but I happy to be corrected on that  :)
I've not been able to compile for Mac OS in GLBASIC v15 or v16. If it's possible in some way I'd be interested to know how. I ran into compilation errors, some of which I found on this forum but couldn't find any suitable fixes.
In terms of running the project on Mac OS, I'm only getting it to run in older versions of Mac OS. I'm using 10.11 but I think I'm okay up to 10.14. If anyone has got a GLBasic project running on a later version of Mac OS I'd be interested to know how. With my M1 Mac using MacOS 12.3 it's out the running. However I don't think there's any fundamental problem with the hardware - my project runs very nicely on the M1 in Parallels and Windows 11 (as does GLBasic v16 for Steam).

Kitty Hello

The CMake build (WIP) should give you a solution you can compile in XCode.
I don't want to support Apple any further, because it's been a PITA. You write code, works, then Apple updates anything and you have an hour of extra work JUST TO GET A WORKING APP running again. I'm done.

loftcat

For me not being able to compile for the latest Mac OS isn't a deal breaker. It's a nice to have but as long as it works in Windows there's always things like VMWare and Parallels :)

spacefractal

Glbasic is a OpenGL project, but Apple has deprecated it.......

Genius Greedy Mouse has finnaly no longer working in the newest iOS, property due that.

MacOS mightbeen not that has than iOS me think throught, but im do no longer have a Mac or plans to get one.

Howover the html5/Javascript one might works in a sovlution, but newer checked it, rather than doing it native code.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

dreamerman

There were some generals language fixes/additions from v12 to v14, so that's why I advised it not sure how core Mac stuff changed between them.
I'm curious if newer MacOS systems can run such old OpenGL code with some tweaks, or only Metal stuff is allowed, as it would be nice to have proper MacOS app that would run normally - even in some compatibility layer on newer M1 devices, mainly because that would give additional platform for Steam store build, Apple store is out of reach (html5 target could be used as workaround).
That's something to test some day, in better times :>

Ian Price

LOFTCAT - why are you using my avatar? I created that character and he's mine and me on every forum and FaceBook. Please remove/alter/amend it.
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

LOL, I assumed that was you Ian, simply that you changed your account name... so it is a bit confusing TBH  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Yeah, that's one of several reasons I want it changed - I don't want others to think he is me.
I came. I saw. I played.

loftcat

For anyone following I've sorted things with Ian.. certainly not my intention to masquerade as an experienced forum admin :)  For those interested I had simply chosen a stock avatar, so it does appear user uploads are added to the this list.

Ian Price

Indeed. Many thanks Tony. No worries :D
I came. I saw. I played.