3D file format for skeletal animations

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Might be good to have it, yes.
Although you should not expect it to be available too soon. I've got lots of other stuff on my desk, too.

FutureCow

Hmmm... I've got very little 3d experiencel but thought this would be a simple one.

It appears that B3d has the capability to play a full animation sequence and to stop an in-progress animation sequence, but not to advance frame by frame through it.
I could create a program to load multiple single frame animations and then play each animation sequence (ie a single frame) in order when you pressed a key.
Would that work?

Kitty Hello

yes, great. I just need it to see if I swapped arms and legs by coincident.

FutureCow

Sorry Gernot, I'm not getting much time on the computer at home. I'll do this when I can.

jessejohnston

Do you still need this? I can help you

NRasool

Hi Kitty

Any chance of letting us know if .b3d is going to be supported soon? Like Kurgan I also have a lot of b3d files, so it would be great if you added support for .b3d  =D

Kitty Hello

No, not in close future. Use blender to convert.

toprngr

I would have to say that there are actually a quite a number of file formats that could support what you are doing here. But there are quite a few common ones and there is no specific file format that is specifically assigned to this task of yours. In fact, b3d is one of the file formats that are commonly used. I recommend you to start working on that first and see how it work out later.

sluff-bucket

Any news on this B3D support? I'm asking because I am planning my second game and so far would like to use GLbasic - but the lack of skeletal animation is an awful restriction :(

Kitty Hello

I won't get skeletons in that quickly, sorry.

sluff-bucket

Thanks for the swift reply, but what do you mean by 'that quickly'? Is the work to implement B3D a reality? Is it happening now? If so, can you give me a rough estimate (be generous) for when you think it might be ready?

I'm sorry to gnaw at you like this - but I'm dithering about what to do, which way to go and how etc. right now, and I have a big publisher snapping at my heels for a new game after publishing the first. Blitz3D has stagnated and Bmax is too much hassle for cross platform 3D (as well as too thinly spread out) for a small developer. Not that this is of interest to you I suppose, but I'd like you to know where I'm coming from. GLbasic seems to be very, very impressive.

I need to hammer out a plan and schedule.

Kitty Hello

I can't make any promise on that. I'm really sorry.
Is bone animation really such a must feature for you?

sluff-bucket

It's an almost vital part where animations are concerned yes.. I need to find bones, attach objects, spawn particles etc.

The characters for the game I'm planning are very simple by normal standards, but even so - direct control over bones really simplifies things. Accurate bipedal collisions will be needed in some situations.

I can imagine how I can make work arounds, but I can also see the workload becomes exponential and really slows the whole development process down the more control and access I 'might' require to animated meshes.

Bones really helped me in my previous project - from picking things up to putting on new boots. Again my new game will be a simpler for more cross-platform compatabilty,  but to know at any moment further down the development road I can access any skeletal hierachy and do stuff to it is a hefty weight off anybody's mind I think. This MD2 type of frame by frame stuff is very limited from what I can see - also, the anim files in B3D are so compact!

Anyhow - I'm not knocking GLbasic at all, it seems to be a fantastic - in fact a breath-taking indie game language from what I've seen so far. Animations seem very limited without skeletons that's all. I can see lots of people here have no problems with it, but for me, to turn around and tell this publisher that I can't blend anims or access an animated hierarchy with out some memory & time consuming work arounds (as far as I know presently)... well they won't understand.

Still, that's my problem and I respect the fact you can't give everybody everything they whine about :)

Vampire

Was ist daraus geworden, Gernot?
haste völlig abgehakt?