OpenB3D - Blitz3D for GLBasic

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Any news about this awesome lib?¿...

bigsofty

Sorry nothing substantial to report. I am hoping to try and get something up and running on iOS, if the Windows iOS compiler is made available though.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Excuse my ignorance, but what really is the benefit of having Blitz3D available to GLB? Is there something that B3D does/does better than GLB natively? I used to use B3D and there's nothing I miss from that that isn't available to me within GLB and in a more stable form (I remember MAVs, sound issues etc.).
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

This isn't really B3D, it's loosely based on iMiniB3D, even then it's got extra features that IMiniB3D does not have.

Basically it's a very easy to use 3D engine based on the B3D command set. I would say easier than GLB and in certain situations, more powerful. It is fully quaternion based, so no gimbal lock. It's entity based with full parent child locking. Theres a LOD (ROAM) landscape object... there's lots of little features in the command set. It's pretty well integrated into GLB, so sound, 2D, fonts etc. are all available too.

The real benefit, to me at least, is that it is open source, so if you want to mess about with something you can.  :)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

Ah, OK. Sounds pretty good :)
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Ok, Bigsofty, don´t care... If I don´t rebenber bad I found a 3D engine for blender... working in IOS and now I´m not sure... but I think in Android... it´s a open source project... and perhaps can be more powerfull than this... . Another point if this can be possible to port to GLBasic, but perhaps it´s a titanic Job... sorry, but how I always say... I don´t know too much about programming...

http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/

erico

blender 3d libs would sure rock! :good:

bigsofty

Quote from: mentalthink on 2012-Feb-19
Ok, Bigsofty, don´t care... If I don´t rebenber bad I found a 3D engine for blender... working in IOS and now I´m not sure... but I think in Android... it´s a open source project... and perhaps can be more powerfull than this... . Another point if this can be possible to port to GLBasic, but perhaps it´s a titanic Job... sorry, but how I always say... I don´t know too much about programming...

http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/

Gamekit looks very good, I am continuously impressed by the programming talent that exists within the Blender project.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Yes, Blender it´s awesoming tool, some Proffesional teachers in Barcelona, speak about it, it´s too much better than in example 3DS MAX... the people make things, that a 6000€ software can´t be do...

I told about the library, becuase I don´t have any idea to make a wrapper, I think this will be a huge work... but perhaps it´s something to take account... have this engine render in Glbasic can be awesome, and well I suppose when launchung devices whit the Open Source OS of WEbos, will be implemented in this devices... or not...

How I told you only it´s for advice... I suppose it´s a very hard work, take all the info and make runs ok in Glbasic, in the case can be do it...

Thanks in advance for your answer...

bigsofty

I had a look at the library but I don't think it's feasible for me to write a wrapper for GLB and gamekit, it's not just one library it's a collection of libraries, Bullet, Ogre, LUA etc. Too much for a single programmer I am afraid.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Don´t Care Bigsofty... I think this it´s a huge work... if I know something about C++, I was like help, but I don´t arrives to this level...

Don´t care... and well whit the default Glbasic 3D engine, can be do a lot of thing... but I always comment about Shaders... simple like specular brilltnest... the physics are important, but whit 2D Box, can make in a simple manner a fake 3D from 2D world... and don´t looks bad...