3D Car Physics: Turbo Unleashed - Preview #2

Previous topic - Next topic

SBlectric

Finally, the second preview! I have fixed the vast majority of physics issues since the last update.  8)
Pretty much everything is new and VASTLY improved.

Currently, I have implemented:
- Set game resolution (fullscreen / FOV as well)
- Circuit race track
- AI driving routine
- 3D car engine sounds (old fmod library)
- Newton physics
- Tachometer (no gears/transmission yet)
- Race position in the leaderboards (a toughie)
- Stencil buffer shadows (a REAL toughie)

Soon to be implemented:
- Track obstacles (breakable fences, cones, etc.)
- Split time
- Lap counting
- Speedometer
- Gears and transmission
- Transparent windows

In the not-so-far-off future:
- More cars
- More tracks
- More sound effects (even a switch to OpenAL)
- Menus and settings

The project is coming along nicely, but sadly it has been slowed somewhat by my college priorities.  :doubt:
Cool stuff and whatever

Moru

Alex_R

Impressive!! Good job! This game is a great promise!!

erico

Super!

I like the AI and the way you resolve 1st and 2nd. When I thought about a racer I always had trouble figuring out how to approach that.
No need to say the physics are waaay much better then before. Keep it up.

spacefractal

Do a Stunts remake based on that code and graphics. Im failed extractly that for many years ago, when im attempted that (im did a level editor near finished, but did never go to the gameplay, due bad research). Howover that one is and fell very cool!!!!
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

matchy

SBlectric

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the positive feedback!
Cool stuff and whatever

MrPlow

Fab graphics! I'm thinking .. Death Race 2000!
:)
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

mentalthink

WOW, very cool!!! I think when you make the graphics with a bit more work, the game can be very nice... Now have a nice look in fact!!! :nw: :nw:

SBlectric

Something that is bugging me is that one of the problems I ran into with the stencil buffer was the fact that, with the full 20000+ poly car models, it ate up CPU usage to the point where the frame rate dropped from 60-70 down to 30-35 (this is with a high-end CPU and system, so I couldn't accept those frame rates if I were to ever release the game). So, I had to make a reduced poly car model for the shadow drawing, like this simplified code:
Code (glbasic) Select

FOR fx=0 TO 1
    IF fx=0 // normal lighting
    X_SPOT_LT 0, 0xFFFFFF, 0,100,0, 0,0,0, 360
    X_DRAWOBJ car_full,0
    ELSE // stencil buffer shadows
    X_SPOT_LT -3, 0x000000, 0,100,0, 0,0,0, 360
    X_DRAWOBJ car_reduced,0
    ENDIF
NEXT

It works great, but there are a few glitches with the car shadows here and there.
I could always add in the full model to the shadow processing later via a menu option, eg. Shadows - Ultra or something.
Cool stuff and whatever

erico

uh? O_O  how did you reduce the car model for the shadows?

mentalthink

And for the shadow don't be better use some plane with a .png with the siloutte of the car... (I really I don't test never, but I think the game will be too much fuid)

SBlectric

For reducing the car model, I used AC3D's Reduce function, which simplifies your model. I went from ~22,000 polygons to ~2,500 polygons for the shadow model. As soon as I did that, it brought my frame rate right back up to 60. As for more simplification, I don't think using a plane with a .png would work that well, and would like pretty bad.
Cool stuff and whatever

erico

Oh, I see. I asked because most reduction techniques might leave some holes through the model (glitches may appear).
You can probably reduce that even more if you model it from scratch to that purpose, and possiblt glitch free.

But it is a wip as I understand, and it is all looking/moving really cool.
What is the masterplan? track editor maybe? LAN/net play?

SBlectric

Yep, I will eventually make a simple model from scratch to get rid of all the glitches and provide further speedups. The master plan is really open ended. Track editor is a possibility in the far future; while internet play is certainly more feasible in the shorter term.
Cool stuff and whatever