A Game a week with the power of GLBasic.

Previous topic - Next topic

quangdx

Quote from: monono on 2012-Mar-20
I like that pacman clone of yours. Sound effects are high class. The fighting game is lovely trashy.

One thing that came to my mind playing your games:
The worst thing in keyboard layout for a game is using the z or y (at least for the german forum members). They are switched in Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slowakia, Bosnia & Herzegovia, Croatian, Serbia ,Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. It is damn hard to use the key more right if you want to go left  :rant:
I always wanted to find out which keys are best.

.......I know I could switch keyboardlayouts in seconds  :nana:

thanks for the feedback. You make a very good point regarding the keyboard layout.
No idea if GLBasic reads the key position, or the letter.
Can someone with a non-standard QWERTY layout keyboard tell me if key(20) and key(21) respond to the two middle keys on the keyboard?
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

Moru

If you ask the computer for the scancode of a key, you should (almost) always get the physical position of the key. Not all keyboards are physicly identical though so some keys are strange. But all letter-buttons should be the same even if it's french, german or english. Or Dworak for that matter.

fuzzy70

How about a simple "Define Keys" option?. If you made the function flexible enough you could just include or paste it into future games that require it.

TBH nearly every game I play I end up changing the controls or some of them because a muscle problem in my hands certain keyboard control layouts can cause my hands to cramp up. Take the cursor keys, while up/down & left/right are fine for me as separate controls having to use all 4 like in Doom 2 for example gives me pain after a short while. Whereas Q/A for up/down & O/P for left/right gives me no problems at all.

Must be that I am just odd  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

quangdx

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2012-Mar-22
How about a simple "Define Keys" option?. If you made the function flexible enough you could just include or paste it into future games that require it.

A redefine key option would be a good idea. just gotta get around to coding one.

quangdx

Game number 11 (only 41 left to go)
Oldskool space shooter.

http://asobitech.com/a1up/a1up11.html