Woo hoo! Running my little program on Linux.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

I guess this is GLBasic related, but didn't think it really fitted in with the usual questions and answers since it's neither.  I'm just sharing my elation at getting my first (very alpha) little GLBasic test program running under Linux (erm not that it was hard mind you - I love GLBasic!).  Last night, on a whim, I turned a spare old Dell desktop PC into a Linux box.  I've decided that I want to try my hand at developing small games for Windows, Linux and MacOS (will need to track down a MacOSX box next).  I haven't touched any UNIX or UNIX-like operating system in some time (only one other time in 8 years, but all it did was sit there and gather dust); which is sort of odd as I used to be a Systems Administrator for an IT company that wasn't big on MS products.  Glad to see I haven't completely forgotten how to use a shell command-line, not that you seem to need it anywhere near as much these days.  Anyway I like the fact that my program looks exactly the same on both my WinXP and Linux systems, despite one having a NVIDIA card and the other some dang awful Intel integrated video chipset.  Got to love GLBasic. :good:

Kitty Hello

how soothing. Thanks for sharing.

Kuron

I am glad to hear it.  I am looking forward to trying my GLBasic stuff under Mandriva  =D  You give me reassurance that all will be well.

I do wonder about OS X though since I do not have access to a system for testing...

Wild_Duck

I run GLBasic on XP and err..vista on my laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 on both of them. The only thing thats not 100% (on Ubuntu)is the Help(menu or F1)but hovering over a command gives the syntax so its near enough.

Hatonastick

Yeah, I wish I still had access to a Mac myself for testing purposes.

So far I think the only trouble (if it can be called that) I've had with Ubuntu was getting the latest stable version of Code::Blocks running under Ubuntu.  Had some mucking about because Code::Blocks uses a newer version of WxWidgets than my version of Ubuntu had in the "official" packages.  Got it all working now though.  My only interest in Code::Blocks, a GNU C compiler and a return to C programming for me is for a couple of small DLL's I'm looking at writing to go with a couple of my GLBasic games.  Hmm although I may be able to avoid that if I can do as much as possible in GLBasic itself.  The two DLL's I was looking to write myself just add a couple of encryption routines (not just TEA/XTEA which are fairly straight forward in almost any language) and some raw simple TCP/UDP networking commands (to supplement NETWEBGET).

Kuron

Hmm... You bring up a point.  I think I will stick with releasing Windows only versions.  I am too unfamiliar with Linux to provide tech support if people run into problems running the game/app.  I would not be good at deciphering what runtimes are missing and how they should be installed.  The same goes for OS X.

Ian Price

Quote from: Kuron on 2008-Aug-29
Hmm... You bring up a point.  I think I will stick with releasing Windows only versions.  I am too unfamiliar with Linux to provide tech support if people run into problems running the game/app.  I would not be good at deciphering what runtimes are missing and how they should be installed.  The same goes for OS X.

I said the same to someone that wanted B'lox! ported to OSX and Linux - I couldn't offer support on those formats, hence my decision not to compile for them.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

You might get support for these platfoms here, though.

Kuron

Hmm... Gernot makes a good point.

Hatonastick

Gernot makes a very good point as the GLB forums are a good place to test things before you do a full release to the public ie. the Beta Test forum.

Ian if you want to have a go at getting your game to run under Linux, I'd be happy to test it and provide feedback if you like - as I'm sure others will too.  Can't hurt to try it at least once. :)

I more setup a Linux box because a) I miss having some form of UNIX machine around and b) I'm playing with the idea of writing a server for one of my games and using GLB as the client which uses information from the server.  Not an MMO, more along the lines of information sharing such as the way BBS door games used to handle things.  Could probably get away with PHP, SQL and a webserver.  That could be interesting - only ever set those up for other people, never done any development with them. =D

Ian Price

Last time I tried, B'lox! wouldn't compile to OSX. Haven't tried for Linux though. Nope, still can't
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: for architecture i386
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libGLBasicUni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libpng_uni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: for architecture ppc
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libGLBasicUni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/Bin/../libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: table of contents for archive: /cygdrive/C/Program Files/GLBasic/Compiler/platform/Mac/OSX/Lib/libpng_uni.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
powerpc-apple-darwin8-lipo: can't open input file: /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/TEMP/cccP39bV.out (No such file or directory)
*** FATAL ERROR - Please post this output in the forum

Linux just compiled fine though.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kuron

FWIW, I get similar when I try to compile any of the examples for OSX.

Kitty Hello

Something seems broken.
I try to fix it, when I update the WIZ support (soon). Is that OK?

Kuron

I am not losing any sleep over it  :good:  That sounds fine to me  =D

Hatonastick

Quote from: Ian Price on 2008-Aug-29
Last time I tried, B'lox! wouldn't compile to OSX. Haven't tried for Linux though. Nope, still can't
Linux just compiled fine though.
Could I please try the Linux version out and see how it goes?  Assuming you don't mind me trying it out.  I only remember playing the beta under Windows.  Was B'lox the one my cousin helped out with the Japanese to English translation?