GLBasic Export/Konvert Thread

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

GLBasic liefert ja bereits Exporter für AC3D und Blender mit. Wer (wie ich) aber mit Blender nicht kann und bei wem (wie bei mir) AC3D ständig abschmiert (oder wer es sich net leisten kann), der muss auf den Konverter von GLBasic zurückgreifen. In diesem Thread sollen verschiedene Einstellungen für verschiedene Programme erörtert werden, mit denen man seine Modelle letzten Endes in das ddd Format bringen kann.

Anim8or
Code (glbasic) Select
- erstellt euer 3D Modell
- exportiert es als 3ds
- Convert3D.exe aufrufen, +KeyFrame klicken, die 3ds Datei auswählen und 1 Frame markieren: FERTIG!

Nendo
Code (glbasic) Select
- erstellt euer 3D Modell
- markiert das fertige 3D Modell und skaliert es runter, sonst wird es in GLBasic riesig sein (ausprobieren mit dem DDview hilft!)
- exportiert es als 3ds
- Convert3D.exe aufrufen, +KeyFrame klicken, die 3ds Datei auswählen und 1 Frame markieren: FERTIG!

Silo 2
Code (glbasic) Select
- erstellt euer 3D Modell in Silo
- markiert das gesamte Modell
- skaliert es etwas nach oben (anders als in Nendo wird das Modell sonst etwas zu klein sein)
- speichert das 3D Modell als 3ds ab

Wings3D
Code (glbasic) Select
- erstellt euer 3D Modell in Wings3D
- markiert das gesamte Modell mit Object-Select
- File > Export Selected > 3D Studio > das Kästchen hinter "3D Studio (.3ds)..."
- Swap Y and Z Axes (Y und Z Achse ist bei OpenGL anders als bei DirectX) markieren
- Import und Export Scale können bei 1.0 bleiben, je grösser das Objekt in GLBasic sein soll desto höher den Export Scale setzen
- Sub-division steps auf 0 setzen, wenn das Modell genau so aussehen soll, wie es in Wings3D aussieht
- Export normals/smoothing groups markieren
- Export UV Coordinates auch markieren
- Ok klicken und den Dateinamen der 3ds Datei festlegen

Kitty Hello

gamedesigner

Hello,
I'm a Swiss game designer (http://gamedesigner.ch) and I've bought glbasic because I liked the features list and I would like to use Glbasic for my next big serious game.

The most important feature for me from the GLBasic features list is:

"...Works with all Common 3D Formats (3ds, md2, md3, ac3d, blender, x)..."

Well, I've seen just a lot of posts and still can't find any solution to import all the models made in Blender 2.66a to GLBasic.
The exporter script don't works with this version and I've not found a way to import blend blender files to glbasic as you've wrote. I've even tried the 3Dconverter tool and the other tools, but the results are really bad.

Can you please write/redirect me to any pipeline/tutorial to export the models that I've already made in Blender 2.66a? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rosario

mentalthink

HI Gamedesigner Welcome!!!.

For Blender you have an exporter, but I think only works whit 2.55(Really I don't know the version, but it's Blender whit the new UI, NOT the old)... the better way you can use it's export to .3ds, the problem it's you can export animated meshes, If you make a mesh caché then no problem you can export each frame whit the 3D convert tool.

PS: Another way it's 3ds max, have a very very good exporter, did for Vladimir, and exports all, bones, animted meshes, textures..

Kitty Hello

Oh no. Another Blender version that won't work? Any phthon experts? XD

gamedesigner

Hi and thank you for your replies.

Yes, I've already tried blender version 2.55 (the only one that is working with the current glbasic plugin). The only problem is that I've alredy made all the animated models in 2.66a and if I try to Append or import or convert the animated models made with Blender v. 2.66a to Blender v.2.55 they become wireframed even if you choose solid or the textured option for the 3D viewport.

C'mon GLBasic dudes, don't you want GLBasic to become famous and popular??? I have to finish a first prototype of a new serious game in next months. If I still don't get a good solution/pipeline to export my animated models to GLBasic in next days, I'll have to switch again to Air/Away3D.

I don't want rebuild or risk to break my models importing them to 3DMax and then hoping that they work again with GLbasic.

Anyway.
DDS and DDA are really heavy. Supporting natively Fbx?

Best,
Rosario

fuzzy70

Perhaps a post on the blender forums asking why they keep changing their format may help.

Lee

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

Another way I forget... it's using the .obj importer (I'm not sure who did it), but here I think the 3D suites don't export .obj whit animated bones easily... In cinema 4d you have to use a plugin, and don't makes a single file, make the number of frames you have and then exports...

gamedesigner

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2013-May-02
Perhaps a post on the blender forums asking why they keep changing their format may help.

Lee

Well, asking on the Blender Forums why they keep changing their format will help nobody.

Maybe would make more sense asking: "why is GLBasic not really supporting Blender format as written in the features list?"

They do all the best to make Blender even better everyday and listening to a lot of request/wishes.

I did't bought GLBasic from the Blender Homepage/Forum...

So, is GLBasic serious enough to make commercial and professional works, or is just another of the "coming soon" (for years) game engine?

Listen, I've just started with GLBasic and I really would like to give it a chance to become popular.

Don't hit your community just because is asking for help or for what they have paid for.

Best Regards.

gamedesigner

Quote from: mentalthink on 2013-May-02
Another way I forget... it's using the .obj importer (I'm not sure who did it), but here I think the 3D suites don't export .obj whit animated bones easily... In cinema 4d you have to use a plugin, and don't makes a single file, make the number of frames you have and then exports...

Thank you for your help. Very appreciated.
I think I'll try via blender 2.66a -> Fbx -> Fragmotion -> MD2/x or Blender 2.66a -> Fragmotion -> Blender 2.55
And than use the GLbasic converter.

Or even better (and if I'll feel good), I'll rewrite the GLBasic exporter for 2.66 or 2.7

If I'll feel bad...I'll just switch to another 3D/Game engine.

Best Regards and thanks again for your support.

fuzzy70

To be fair not everybody uses Blender or updates to the latest version as soon as it is released. Judging by the version number 2.66a the a would represent alpha if they follow typical naming conventions, which some people skip until a stable version is released.

Thanks to your input of the converter not working with 2.66a it has bought to light a problem with the converter which obviously was not known before.

Lee

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

fuzzy70

Looking at the API docs on Blenders site it seems that 2.55 was the start of the major changes to the API & they even say
Code (glbasic) Select
Warning: The Python API in Blender is UNSTABLE, It should only be used for testing, any script written now may break in future releases.

While having a look at the API change log it only goes as far back as 2.56 which to me says things got a bit more stable and the main core was created. Searching the addons shipped with 2.66 nearly all of them have a version no older than 2.57 including the 3ds & OBJ ones which are formats that have been around a long time and are well documented.

The API is still yet to be completed but judging by the 3ds & OBJ exporters it may be that the relevant parts in the API for those functions are quite solid & subject to minimal change if any.

Lee
- "These go to eleven."

MrTAToad

Generally more people use AC3D, which is rather good, but has no support for animation of any sort...

kanonet

I dont know if you already tried this, but: GLB converter supports at least .3ds, .obj, .md2 and  .x. Did you try all of them if you can convert from Blender?
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64