I wish I'd written this...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Voxatron -  http://www.lexaloffle.com/voxatron.php

Retro pixel graphics inspired arcade game, with a mouth wateringly good voxel engine. Love it!  :good:

It's still in Alpha but well worth picking up already IMHO.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

I have this one for a looooong time.
Recommended!!

Its 3d voxel modeler is excellent!

mentalthink

Really it's a nice game , I got a lot of time ago, and really in very difficult in somparts, in the video the Stages seems static, but really some have scroll...

I think do this job in GLBasic can't be very complex, only it's do and Voxel Editor, I think in someone sells a simple voxel Editor, Hark0 have info about this, then export with a .txt or something similar can be very usefully for do the game, perhaps GLBasic can move all this quatity of Boxes... I don't know...

If you don't have it matchy, buy it, it's really really fun, I supposse in Steam they have got, and sure the price will be very cheaper this game have more than a year saw the light.

bigsofty

I never actually noticed it had an editor before, this is a lot of fun in its own right! The voxel technology used here is pretty refreshing to see when your used to the traditional polygonal view. The amount of destruction that is available at a per pixel(voxel) level is also astounding. This does requires quite a bit of CPU/GPU power though, so its gonna be a while before this is seen on a tablet or phone I think.

Gameplay-wise it's right up my street being and old Robotron fan-boy that I am!  :P
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

I believe the editor can deal OBJ, import and export, so it should work fine as a blocky modeler for us GLB users.

bigsofty

Yes, this is true Erico. I wonder what the native file level file format looks like, structure wise?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Bah but really Do an editor for this kinds of graphics not it's too much complex... I occurs an Idea for go more faster , you can draw a "helper Box great" then you can divide in the X number of little boxes occuped for the great Box.

Doing a classe can be easy and apply in example box2d or another simple physics for the  bounces.. and we have to think don't have textures only are colors.

I don't know if in tablets can works, all this polys but not it's necessary in a tablet make the game exactly equal than this.. this it's something similiar when in 8 bits the people did a Amstrad game and port to zx, somethimes they get off some graphics, or the music... it's simply adapt to the properties of the machines...

About the Editor, I think Hark0 buy a Editor, but not it's part of the same game.

This perhaps can help you...
http://code.google.com/p/sproxel/     FREE

This I don't know wich format save... (I have to login)
http://www.3dtin.com/#    This it's more a 3D modeler in the Broweser, but adding only boxes it¡s the same. FREE

Aha and good luck for Erico Bigsofty and me...
Here we have a very very interesting tools, they have 3 different tools.
http://www.minddesk.com/products.php

Perhaps Bigsofty can be more interested in this:
http://www.minddesk.com/qubicle_constructor.php

Qublicle voxelizar can get a 3Dmodel standard and convert into Voxeles (I find some c4d plugins but are discontinued), and this programs really aren't expensives about 40$..

:good:

Schranz0r

Is a Voxelengine with Polygons or "billboards"?
I tried to write a Minecraft-Clone but had realy big problems with performence....
I only draw the surface on the top but the performance was realy bad at all :(

Is there any realy realy good tutorial on what a voxelengine realy is and how to write it in OpenGL?
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

mentalthink

It's really 3D Schranz0r , just I did a ball and apply the Voxels, and it's fun you can change the size of the grid then you have more or less resolution in the Mesh.

I find this https://sites.google.com/site/letsmakeavoxelengine/ perhaps it's a good place for starting...   :)

Moru

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2013-Sep-23
I tried to write a Minecraft-Clone but had realy big problems with performence....

For a minecraft clone you have to create the world like big sections, putting together the blocks to bigger blocks that you can load into the graphics processor once instead of every frame.

bigsofty

There's some nice links to voxel utils there Mentalthink, thank you. I kinda like the traditional voxel as a square billboard as opposed to the minecraft cube-word approach. Although I see the advantage when it comes to using OpenGL as the render API. I do feel that voxels are the future, maybe far future at this rate though! :P After all we live in a voxel world, the spaces between the voxels are just to small to see! ;)
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

You are Welcome.!! =D

Here I found this, very easy and works fine with GLBasic, the only thing I don't know how import the "colors" material of a .obj, but runs very pretty I did a simple figure and appears all in the same position and all fine...

But I continue with the Idea, do a Voxel Editor in Glbasic it's the better, really this it's simple to do.

erico

One chap was making a voxel to cube converter tool (ddd and obj) here in the forums.
I tested a bit, it did achieve a good result.

You would feed the program with a set of image slices and voila.
IIRC it respected colors.