LF Game Developer/Programmer

Previous topic - Next topic

lunarstudio

Hello. I'm new to this forum but I was looking for a partner with game development knowledge and programming skills for the iPad/iPhone that would be looking to profit share and have fun on a side project. Later on, I suppose it has potential to be ported to other OS. I figured this was a good place to ask as I was reading up on GLBasic.

I have a somewhat simple idea that I would like to become a game. I can create the images, maps, concepts, and 3d models (in a program such as 3D Studio Max.) I'm pretty much just looking for a side scroller type of game that has collisions and can tilt. However, I lack the programming skills to make the game actually happen/interact.

You can check out my 3d work at my website so that you know I am serious about my 3D work: http://www.lunarstudio.com/

If you are interested and serious, please email me with a link to a portfolio of projects that you have worked on:
cleo@lunarstudio.com

Thank you,

Chuck

Hatonastick

If this isn't some sort of spam (we've had a lot of it lately pretending to be legitimately interested in GLB and yet more interested in posting a link to an external website and any posts like yours with a single post count is suspicious), you might want to whack together some game type objects, eg. a spaceship or similar, as it's likely to be a better example of what you can do regarding game related artwork -- there's just a bit of a difference between the two is all I'm saying.  Not unless your game involves flying chairs, tables and ovens.

I await your (non) reply to determine whether or not you are legitimate.  Not that I'm interested in helping either way.  My bet is you are spam.  =D
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Ian Price

Whilst I suspect that HOAS is indeed correct, I would like to be proved wrong. And like him, would love to see some game related media to show that you are really interested in game deelopment and not just a spammer.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hemlos

Email him to make some $$$ appstore games?
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

lunarstudio

Understandable. I am very serious. I wouldn't have more than one post count here simply because I am not much of a programmer (HTML, CSS, old school ActionScript, and some PHP if you actually count those...) I'm a little disappointed in what I perceive as slight hostility to a newcomer to this forum that's trying to actually make something happen.

The reason why I got into 3D to begin with was because I love gaming. Only reason I focus on architecture is that it sort of pays the bills. And I'm not going to "whack together" something in my off-time (trust me, you get burnt out doing 3D after 8+ years - especially considering the economy, interior design, and architecture) - would rather spend little time I have with my GF or playing SC2/WoW. I think my website shows my skills as-is and if you can't see the potential or that I know what I am doing, then there's no point in trying to impress. The Apple platform opens up a lot of possibilities for game artists and developers to collaborate on a more independent basis. I've been wanting to create a game for it since the first phone was released.

My main issue is that I can do 3D, concepts, websites, and the graphics - I just can't "assemble" the game itself into a cohesive working piece. Fortunately/unfortunately, I kind of need a good partner to hold my hand there a little. As for finding that right partner to make that happen, that's going to be the trick. I have a few friends that say they can do something - but I'm quite skeptical to be honest. I'm not entirely sure if the GLBasic website/forum is a good place to look. I saw a few impressive screenshots on the iPhone announcement section and that's why I thought this might be a good starting point.

The type of quality game/graphics I'm looking to create is something similar to the www.gameprom.com website.

QuoteEmail him to make some $$$ appstore games?
^LOL what he said...

It would be nice to make money - don't get me wrong. I think we could all use some (I have bills to pay but I'm sure mommie will take me back into her basement or I could join a commune.) But, if the game isn't fun - then it's not going to happen.

MrTAToad

Someone doing that kind of graphics would need quite a bit of time - which probably rules out most people here, although those who have already released may be able to help in that department.

lunarstudio

Well - I guess my next question would be - how much of the graphics portion is the programmer and how much of the actual art falls upon the artist? I'm fairly quick on the graphics, mapping, and 3D modeling portion. That's the part I would like to/prefer to handle. However, I don't know what are the acceptable formats ie. texture maps, obj, and/or 3DS models.

The second question would be - is this even the right place to look?

ampos

Did you gota my email?
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Scott_AW

Well if you can provide all the resources but just need someone to put it together?  Sounds like you just need a basic engine.  Try creating something with concept art simulatong your game idea.

Got a chance to browse some of your work, it's pretty nice stuff.
Current Project, Orbital Contract Defense
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/code-name-ocd/9887/

BlackShadow now open source/resource(requires duke3d)
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/black-shadow-3d/9885/

Hatonastick

Not hostile mate, cynical.  Cynical on two counts actually, but I'm glad to see at least one of them (and I'd say both) is wrong.  I guess the fact you had an avatar should have clued me in that you weren't likely a spammer, but just so you know the typical spammer we get here posts some generic 'I want to make a game' or 'this is really good' and has a link to a website that sells a product or a service.  Was just unfortunate in this case and the fact that they've been on the rise lately hasn't helped.

The second reason why I'm cynical is mostly due to the whole 'I draw but can't program, can someone help me make what I want?' deal.  I've been programming for 26 years, online since the 80's and I've seen a lot of changes to the way both work and not all good.  One of those is people popping onto programming websites asking someone to do a lot of the work -- although it's most often kids (if you'd asked for help to make an MMO my cynicism levels would have hit new heights or depths :D) who don't really understand how much work is involved.  A lot of indie/hobby programmers have a pretty good grasp on both sides of things as a number of them, besides being able to program, can also draw to semi-pro or even pro levels -- in fact it's not that uncommon to meet someone who started in art and picked up programming.  Obviously looking at my avatar, I'm not one of those. :)

Now since you are talking more about a business arrangement, none of my initial reservations count.

So that's just where I was coming from with my original post, but since I'm thankfully very wrong I'd like to apologise and wish you well.  I really hope you find what you need.  Take care.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

lunarstudio

@ampos - no, I haven't. Send again?

@Scott - thanks man. To be honest, I hate programming LOL. It's a pain in the butt and it's a lot of work. Plus, my memory is bad in general so I always have problems with syntax. I taught myself, web, print, marketing, SEO, Photoshop, Illustrator, AE, basic compositing, 3dsmax, vray - etc. The idea of filling my head with one more thing will push me off a bridge or will definitely push another program back out. And plus I have a feeling it's a very steep climb - especially transitioning from 2D to 3D using these languages.

On the other hand, some very sick individuals really love to program. I'd rather leave that aspect to the experts.

In 3D, art, interior design, and architecture - I think we get the same response/treatment from others - everyone thinks it's a simple "push of the button" when nothing could be further from the truth. I'm used to getting lowballed and pushed around by others. In turn, I have a lot of respect for programmers and fellow designers cause I think it's quite similar.

As for the art, the concept is already there in my head. There's even somewhat similar games on the market already (not being a programmer, they beat me to the punch years back when I first approached some friends.) I just think we could do a much better job as currently these other games just look like blocks on a piece of paper.

If I can see someone else's work/portfolio that shows they've reached a level of proficiency of incorporating 3D and basic accelerometer features, I'd send off a NDA then provide them with sketches to see if it's possible to work on this together.

@hatonastick - no worries man. In 3D I know of a few amazing artists that are also scripters/programmers - they're relatively few tho. Generally they're too busy doing other stuff to have the spare time to even answer forum questions.

QuoteI've been programming for 26 years, online since the 80's and I've seen a lot of changes to the way both work and not all good.
LOL I was 10 when I had a C64 and hooked it up to a modem, somehow got my hands on a BB number and dialed it without realizing what "long distance" was. Later that month when my dad got a $100+ phone bill in the mail, I was grounded for life.

matchy

Who didn't get in trouble for BBS phone bills in the 80s?  :D

The majority of 3D iPhone and iPad models designed in 3D Studio Max and apps compiled with GLBasic that are on the App Store are published by me. One app even uses the accelerometer but I am interested in the gyroscope! Many of these attributes would not be possible without the help of our community. Some of us need 3D models for games so it's nice to have a 3D modeler around. lunarstudio, that's some really cool 3D work there!!!  :good: :good:

Scott_AW

You should really check out http://www.sculptris.com/

It's a very awesome program that can turn your concept art into 3d models very easily.  It's similar to modeling clay.

If you have a good idea you should do a mock-up, use photoshop to put together some concept shots.

The more you simulate the basics of what you want in a game the easier it is for the programing.  In other words if you know how it's supposed to look and function, then you have clear goals for the program.

Gameplay,graphic style and interface are a good start.  Like creating a side scroller from your own graphics with layers in photoshop to simulate what your trying to image game wise.
Current Project, Orbital Contract Defense
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/code-name-ocd/9887/

BlackShadow now open source/resource(requires duke3d)
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/black-shadow-3d/9885/

Leginus

Bear in mind though that if you did use sculptris you would  have to seriously reduce the poly count of the models before they became useable in any form of game.

lunarstudio

QuoteThe majority of 3D iPhone and iPad models designed in 3D Studio Max and apps compiled with GLBasic that are on the App Store are published by me.
Very cool to have that badge of honor. Interested in seeing how that whole process works (export, texture mapping, etc.). :)

QuoteOne app even uses the accelerometer but I am interested in the gyroscope!
Actually, this is more of gyroscope type of project I think as it's all axis. I think I'm screwing up terminology.

QuoteSome of us need 3D models for games so it's nice to have a 3D modeler around
If I have some spare cycles lying around, feel free to ask. I think I might be slammed the next couple of weeks. When it rains, it pours around here then month-long dry spells.

QuoteThe more you simulate the basics of what you want in a game the easier it is for the programing.  In other words if you know how it's supposed to look and function, then you have clear goals for the program.
The minute I get a good response, I'll bang something rough out in under an hour that should highlight most (95%) of everything. The rest are cool little addon ideas.

@Scott_AW: Pixelogic/Zbrush is a very cool company and modeling tool. A lot of colleagues use Zbrush for character modeling in particular - the way it handles organic shapes, fine lines, and wrinkles. That's something a proggie like 3dsmax falls apart handling. Nice to see they have something free out there. Another somewhat similar program to Zbrush is called Modo.

@Leginus: Polygoncruncher or optimize polys within another app such as 3dsmax can do the trick. Probably the best way to handle things are to not create something so high poly to begin with.