Runner [Done]

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Atlas

Hello everyone, i finished my first game...  finally. :)
And i don't want to hold it back to you, if you have some time left to test this game i would be happy.
Some feedback would be really nice, maybe i will consider making the changes to the game still.

http://games.zeewolf.org/

Knowing Bug:  :whistle:
Before i start telling you 'How to play' the game: If you reach a big score you can upload it to the database, the only thing you need to do is having your firewall configurated that allows you to send the score over the net, otherwise the game freezes and it crashes after a while. You can visit the homepage to see what Position you are at the moment. :)

** Fixed **

How to play
-----------------
This is simple and easy to explain.
- Use yor Cursor Keys to move the marble.
- You have to collect all Bombs in a certain Time.
- You have to be careful not to slip off the Track.
- You will loose Energy otherwise and if the energy reaches Zero you loose a Live.
- If your Timer runs out you will loose a Live too.
  But you will gain some time back for the Timer.

Have fun playing and testing.  =D
- Greg
.... Homepage ....

Ian Price

That's a nice little game that is. An excellent start at GLBasic game making :)

The only issue I have with it (and it's nothing major) is that there is no warning (other than watching your health bar) that touching the water/space/black stuff? causes you harm - OK, it's pretty obvious really that you should stay on the path, but only because other similar games imply the same. Perhaps you could have had the character state (on first contact) that this is bad in some way - sound, speech bubble, voice etc.

Also, why collect bombs? The items could be fruit, coins or anything. Bombs don't makes much sense (as you'd run away from them really). If you wanted to induce panic and add extra thrill to the game, I would give the bombs a timer. After you collect a bomb, the next in the series starts counting down, meaning you have to rush to get it before it explodes, and then on to the next.

However, it's very playable and looks and sounds good.
I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

are you the Chat-Greg ?
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Gregory Atlas

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Nov-29
That's a nice little game that is. An excellent start at GLBasic game making :)

The only issue I have with it (and it's nothing major) is that there is no warning (other than watching your health bar) that touching the water/space/black stuff? causes you harm - OK, it's pretty obvious really that you should stay on the path, but only because other similar games imply the same. Perhaps you could have had the character state (on first contact) that this is bad in some way - sound, speech bubble, voice etc.

Also, why collect bombs? The items could be fruit, coins or anything. Bombs don't makes much sense (as you'd run away from them really). If you wanted to induce panic and add extra thrill to the game, I would give the bombs a timer. After you collect a bomb, the next in the series starts counting down, meaning you have to rush to get it before it explodes, and then on to the next.

However, it's very playable and looks and sounds good.

Hello Ian, thanks for the response and ideas.
- The energy should get some sound effect, like its kind of a warning to stay on the track, thinking of a sound effect right now.

- Seriously my first idea was to change the bombs all to fruits, then i thought afterall i keep the bombs for now that way.
I`m thinking about it, but then the timer wouldnt be necessary? Since you have a limited Time for collecting all bombs in every level.
If i strike the bombs then i will use Fruits and stuff, maybe i let him collect enough stuff to give him a key for the end of a level?
Dunno yet, but the game is still rewritable. :) Ideas i need now.

- The idea to give every bomb a timer would be a good thrill, just get to level 15 and then you know i cant do that. :)

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2010-Nov-29
are you the Chat-Greg ?
Yep
.... Homepage ....

Moru

When I play it I see it as I'm disarming the bombs before the timer runs out.

Ian Price

QuoteWhen I play it I see it as I'm disarming the bombs before the timer runs out.
There is that, but why would the timer reduce just because you stray from the path? ;)

I know games are illogical anyway, but there's always some logic holding them together, hence my suggestions.

But whatever the game stays/becomes, it's still a fun little title. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

The energy gets reduced if you stray off the path, but the timer stays the same. Perfectly logical to me so far :-)

Ian Price

Are they not the same? I missed that - I obviously never ran out of time. :P

D'oh!
I came. I saw. I played.

Gregory Atlas

Quote from: Ian Price on 2010-Nov-30
Are they not the same? I missed that - I obviously never ran out of time. :P

D'oh!

Maybe i should rename Energy to Shield?
So you know what you are loosing at the moment.
.... Homepage ....

Gregory Atlas

I had some strange bug yesterday, if i typed in the highscore "Nobody" as it is written here, the game crashed.
All other words were working. I wonder what this caused, after Windows 7 noticed there is a problem, i clicked on Solving the problem on your own. After that it worked again with the word.

Couldnt reprodruce this, anyone had this trouble too?
.... Homepage ....

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Gregory Atlas

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2010-Nov-30
Quote from: Gregory Atlas on 2010-Nov-30
Quote from: Schranz0r on 2010-Nov-29
are you the Chat-Greg ?
Yep
Alter SACK! :D
Correction = Old Sack [english forum thread :P]

Young Sack! :D
.... Homepage ....

Gregory Atlas

ToDo List:

- Fixing the Knowing Bug. If you reach a big score you can upload it to the database, the only thing you need to do is having your firewall configurated that allows you to send the score over the net, otherwise the game freezes and it crashes after a while. You can visit the homepage to see what Position you are at the moment. :)
** Fixed **

- Server update for the Highscore table
** Fixed **

- Highscore entry with Name "Nobody", crashes the game. Happens only to Windows 7, tried it on Windows XP and its working without crashing the program.
** Fixed finally **

- Changed Energy to Shield
** Done **

- Sound if you get off track and loosing shield.
** Done **

- Adding more Levels
** 5 levels more **

- More pics
** Done **
.... Homepage ....

ampos

Quote from: Gregory Atlas on 2010-Dec-01
ToDo List:
- Highscore entry with Name "Nobody", crashes the game. Happens only to Windows 7, tried it on Windows XP and its working without crashing the program. ** Looking for a solve still **

Code (glbasic) Select
If name_entered$="Nobody" THEN name_entered$="You are someone!"

You can use also:

"hope phone number", "are you depressed?", "go out and search for a girlfriend, geek!" and many more.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Gregory Atlas

Quote from: ampos on 2010-Dec-01
Quote from: Gregory Atlas on 2010-Dec-01
ToDo List:
- Highscore entry with Name "Nobody", crashes the game. Happens only to Windows 7, tried it on Windows XP and its working without crashing the program. ** Looking for a solve still **

Code (glbasic) Select
If name_entered$="Nobody" THEN name_entered$="You are someone!"

You can use also:

"hope phone number", "are you depressed?", "go out and search for a girlfriend, geek!" and many more.

Thanks, i did that already. I tried different ways too.
Code (glbasic) Select
If name_entered$="Nobody" THEN name_entered$="Nobody "
i put in an extra space at the end, SQL ignores this space later so the space doesnt matter anymore.
It will be like "Nobody" as it was typed before. I just wonder if there are other names i cant use.
.... Homepage ....