Android development with GLBasic.

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Do you have to register as a developer etc. before you can test anything on an Android device?  See the last two days have been interesting for me.  I scored an Android tablet for free (it's going to run really, really badly if at all -- I have no illusions since it's obviously Chinese in manufacture) and today I got a Galaxy Mini mobile phone (again low-end, I want an Android phone with an external physical keyboard but they are hard to get here) as my Nokia C6-00 is kaput already.  So I'm thinking I'd like to give this whole Android development thing a go.  I wasn't planning on ever programming again, but this could be an interesting opportunity.  Even if it's going to cost me to register as a developer with Google or whatever first.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

ampos

No, you dont. Just when you want to publish.

Anyway, if you dont want to pay the $25, find someone here who is already registered, and let him publish it for you.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Hatonastick

I've had a quick but not extensive look around, but couldn't find this: there a guide on how to get things compiled and onto an Android phone for GLB yet?  Hmm hang on I haven't checked GLB itself...

Crivens

I just followed the guide from the GLB help pages. If I remember rightly after install I had to reset the PC and the Android device but after that it worked fine.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Hatonastick

Aha!  Yes found it.  Sorry about the daft questions, I'm a little frazzled at the moment.  ::)  So... Android 2.2 and up...  My mobile is fine but I think the tablet is 2.1, although I did read somewhere there's 2.2 as an upgrade for it.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. :)

Actually I do have another question: Looking at the PC software for connecting my phone, it talks about a Samsung App Store -- does this mean there's no actual unified App Store for Android devices like iDevices have?  So all manufacturers have their own stores?

Kitty Hello

Yes. It's "awesome" like Linux.
The Google Market is the biggest store. Try to get into that. Others have also markets, but that's a bit like the Cydia Store for iOS.

okee

QuoteI scored an Android tablet for free (it's going to run really, really badly if at all -- I have no illusions since it's obviously Chinese in manufacture
If it's the ZTE you were talking about in another post, they have a pretty good reputation.
They have one or two phones on the market in Europe for a while, but they're rebranded
i.e. the Orange San Fransisco
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/orange-san-francisco-901915/review

Modaco is a good site to subscribe to (for this and other devices)  if you want to root it but also
to connect with other users who have the device.
http://android.modaco.com/forum/534-zte-light-v9-lightv9modacocom/
There's also info and download links for a 2.2 update

okee
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Crivens

I dunno, I have a M710 which is a pretty standard Chinese effort with resistive screen etc. At first I thought it was pretty weak, but after upgrading to 2.3 (was 2.1) then it's a *load* better. It's still not amazing, but is more than good enough for most things. Even GLB seems ok on it.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Hatonastick

Quote from: okee on 2011-Oct-20
QuoteI scored an Android tablet for free (it's going to run really, really badly if at all -- I have no illusions since it's obviously Chinese in manufacture
If it's the ZTE you were talking about in another post, they have a pretty good reputation.
They have one or two phones on the market in Europe for a while, but they're rebranded
i.e. the Orange San Fransisco
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/orange-san-francisco-901915/review

Modaco is a good site to subscribe to (for this and other devices)  if you want to root it but also
to connect with other users who have the device.
http://android.modaco.com/forum/534-zte-light-v9-lightv9modacocom/
There's also info and download links for a 2.2 update

okee

Ahh ok, yeah the tablet is a ZTE.  Runs nicely, just that I'd been reading other sites that were saying the Chinese manufactured Android tablets weren't much good.  Mind you they did mention a particular chipset.  I would find it hard to believe that Optus would be selling a tablet that was garbage.  Wouldn't be much good for their reputation.  Anyway I was probably misunderstanding. :)

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Oct-20
The Google Market is the biggest store. Try to get into that. Others have also markets, but that's a bit like the Cydia Store for iOS.
Oddly enough the software Samsung provides to connect the phone to my computer says that the phone isn't supported when it comes to the Samsung App Store, however on the phone itself it has a link to the Google Android store and that works just fine.  So, yeah I'll go with your advice there I think (not that it seems I have a choice anyway :)).

caffeinekid

My Android phone is an Orange San Francisco (re-badged ZTE Blade) and it's pretty nice even if it's not amazingly powerful.

I've run a few GLBasic projects on it without much in the way of problems. :)

As far as Chinese Android stuff goes I thnk ZTE are some of the nicer ones? :)

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2011-Oct-20

I managed to totally miss the sarcasm in your remark there Kitty. :)