News:

*NEW* Current Version on STEAM16.793

Webchat:
Visit the chat

Mappy

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

This is my first beta for my Mappy routine.  Just really need to add in the collision detection code.

Quite a simple demo, just use the cursor keys to move around.

The graphics are processed from within the FMP file itself.

It uses a bit from Moru's routine (converted to C), and will use the collision detection routine when I get around to it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Moru

Nice work :-)

Can the included grafics handle an alpha channel?

Marmor

MrTAToad

QuoteCan the included grafics handle an alpha channel?
What I do is write the RGB values to a screen (with a sprite), and set the transparency to 0, although I'll be changing that to use the transparency value in the file.

Kuron

Very nice work!  Runs at 1 FPS, but that is very good for not having hardware GL support on this clunker  =D

Moru

Ow, what sort of computer is that? 386? :-)

Kuron

Close: Athlon 1.4GHz  :D  (1GB RAM, GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB, XP SP2.  The speed is because I am just using the drivers that came with XP SP2 (ie, no hardware GL support).  No biggie as it is an internet only machine.  I keep meaning to install the drivers, but I never get around to it.)

Moru

Hmm, even the 200 MHz GP2X gets at least 30 FPS with 8 layers of tiles... Has to be the drivers.

MrTAToad

There may be a few more efficiency savings I can add to make it up to 2FPS

MrTAToad

This should produce a fair speed increase.  Also give the second one a go too :)

Ian Price

That second demo is nice, but there is significant slowdown when scrolling diagonally, which is quite odd.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Cant say I noted that...  :S  Will have to have a look there...

See if this is any better...

I've reduced some error checking that wasn't really needed, but beyond that there isn't much else to improve speed...

Kuron

Tested the latest on my two dev machines.  Very nice and extremely smooth.  :good:

This is also a good advertisement for Mappy (which I haven't touched in years).

Kitty Hello

very strange. It's not all that smooth for me, here. It's smooth, but when I scroll to where there's less stuff, it scrolls faster.

Ian Price

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Apr-14
It's smooth, but when I scroll to where there's less stuff, it scrolls faster.

Yep. This ^^^. Speed definitely reduces when there are more tiles on screen, especially around the animated features.
I came. I saw. I played.