Any interest in these, or should I get a move on and make a game instead?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Guess this would be better on my blog, but that doesn't seem to support polls as far as I can see.  =D

Ok here's the deal.  I've done my usual and got too many projects running at once -- all in GLB.  I could do all these mini-libs (which are currently in various stages of incompleteness) and other bits and pieces, but if there is no interest, what would be the point?  I'd be better off moving onto making a game.  So, hence the poll.  :whistle:

A more in-depth explanation of some of the entries in the poll:

Enigma: The crypto libraries include: AES, Blowfish, Cast-256, SAFER, SHA series, Sober-128, Twofish, Whirlpool, TEA and XTEA.  Each Block Cipher supporting ECB mode and a couple of others.  I might also include Yarrow the CPRNG.  Each of these is a separate file.  I might not include all the above.

Backpack: Small compression library.  Nothing fancy. ie. not Zlib.

Butterfly: Small PRNG library.  Mersenne Twister is part of this.  Like Enigma, consists of separate files rather than one big file.

Code Wheel: Shareware license library based on a couple of the above crypto routines, and a couple of other bits and pieces.

Zero: A _really_ simple embeddable BASIC-like (actually it's loosely based on the original TinyBASIC) script system that compiles source to a form of 'P-code' to speed up runtime.  Really don't expect much of this, mostly being written for use in my MUD for NPC control.

Ian Price

Something's wrong somewhere, as it won't let me vote. :(

QuoteEither that poll doesn't exist, the poll has been locked, or you tried to vote twice.

I would have voted for make a game. Show us what you're made of! :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Hmm I think you are right -- something is wrong.  I went to edit the poll and I got an error message telling me the board doesn't exist. :)

To be honest, although I've got quite a few game ideas, I suspect I'm better at making libraries and utilities.  :(

Ian Price

Now's the perfect time with the RR mini-comp just about to start. It doesn't have to be complex and you can rip all your media (literally). Go on. You know you want to. You can do the libs later ;)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Heheheh, ok I'll have a look into it.  The details are on the RR site already I'm guessing?

Kitty Hello

bigsofty

Can't vote :(

If I could it would be for the Scripting thingy... I have a soft spot for interpreters ;)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Feb-27
too bad. Can you try recreating the poll?
Hmm create another thread and then get a mod to delete this one?  I'm wondering if I accidentally clicked on Lock Voting at some point.

Hatonastick

Quote from: bigsofty on 2009-Feb-27
Can't vote :(

If I could it would be for the Scripting thingy... I have a soft spot for interpreters ;)
Wouldn't get too excited, probably wont be much good. :)

FutureCow

I tried to vote for the shareware library. If I ever get around to completing the goal of writing a decent enough original game then I might need some sort of tool to protect it.

Having said that though, I'm of the mindset that 1000 copies of a $1 game is better than 10 copies of a $100 game, and if you make it cheap enough that people don't stress about buying it, then copy protection becomes reasonably unnecessary.

Otherwise, my suggestions would be
1) Make a game
2) Go back to the extremely cool avatar you used to have of a hat sitting on top of a stick on a hillside. That was very cool! :D

Hatonastick

Quote from: FutureCow on 2009-Mar-04
I tried to vote for the shareware library. If I ever get around to completing the goal of writing a decent enough original game then I might need some sort of tool to protect it.

Having said that though, I'm of the mindset that 1000 copies of a $1 game is better than 10 copies of a $100 game, and if you make it cheap enough that people don't stress about buying it, then copy protection becomes reasonably unnecessary.

Otherwise, my suggestions would be
1) Make a game
2) Go back to the extremely cool avatar you used to have of a hat sitting on top of a stick on a hillside. That was very cool! :D

Actually that's a very valid thought.  Why bother with such a library?  It's better to have two versions ie. a demo version and a full version.  Full version is available when they pay a small fee eg. $1-5.  I agree with that.  Then the onus is upon the developer to come up with a product decent enough to appeal to more than 10 people -- the other obstacle of course would then be advertising your product somehow to increase your chances.  Well that's one library that goes into my abandoned projects folder. :)  It was sufficiently complex that I wouldn't be bothered doing it unless I'd also use it myself.  Anyway I think I might end up going with Ians suggestion and just make a game.  Currently looking at some of my older, simpler game projects that were never completed and converting what little existed into GLB and then (hopefully) finishing them.  The other option is I go back to playing LOTRO. :)

Sorry I got bored with that avatar.  That and the fact that it's only 1.5 - 2cm tall and looks odd on this forum.  I'll have a look at it and see if I can update it, but I suspect your memory of it is better than the avatar actually is. :)

FutureCow

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2009-Mar-04

Actually that's a very valid thought.  Why bother with such a library?  It's better to have two versions ie. a demo version and a full version.  Full version is available when they pay a small fee eg. $1-5.  I agree with that.  Then the onus is upon the developer to come up with a product decent enough to appeal to more than 10 people -- the other obstacle of course would then be advertising your product somehow to increase your chances.  Well that's one library that goes into my abandoned projects folder. :)  It was sufficiently complex that I wouldn't be bothered doing it unless I'd also use it myself.  Anyway I think I might end up going with Ians suggestion and just make a game.  Currently looking at some of my older, simpler game projects that were never completed and converting what little existed into GLB and then (hopefully) finishing them.  The other option is I go back to playing LOTRO. :)
I think the library would still be useful to someone (if you were looking at selling it I think you'd get some takers). Games are always welcome though!
Why not make a game about a copy protection library?  =D

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2009-Mar-04
Sorry I got bored with that avatar.  That and the fact that it's only 1.5 - 2cm tall and looks odd on this forum.  I'll have a look at it and see if I can update it, but I suspect your memory of it is better than the avatar actually is. :)
The combination of the forum nic and the avatar were very cool! There was just something about that avatar that really worked with the name, I can't isolate it other than that unfortunately, but the combo was funny.
Where'd the idea for the nic come from?

Hatonastick

I think the library would still be useful to someone (if you were looking at selling it I think you'd get some takers). Games are always welcome though!
Why not make a game about a copy protection library?  =D
Well I might look at doing it another time.  Yeah well in all the years I've been programming, I've not finished (at least not released) one single game on any platform from Amstrad CPC to now. :P  Might be time I did.

Interestingly enough, I do have a game idea vaguely along those lines. :)  The working title is CORE, and it's (very loosely) a cross between Core Wars and an old BBS door-game which I loved called NetRunner (which was based upon the pencil and paper RPG Cyberpunk).  The intention is for it to be an action-puzzler in 3D with simplistic retro style graphics.  Can't make my mind up whether to make it multi-player or single-player (NetRunner had an interesting slant on the multiplayer side, as did most BBS door-games).  Come to think of it there's a few door-games I'd like to update or remake such as The Pit (which I have a remake in progress of, but with extensions), Operation Overkill (which by the looks of it is already being remade) and others.

Where'd the idea for the nic come from?
Some time back when I signed up for the original XBox Live I think from memory.  Tried all my usual nicknames and they were all taken.  It was just something random that popped into my head, which has since come to mean more to me than just a random bunch of words. :)