Iphone Ipod touch and piracy issues.

Previous topic - Next topic

mykyl66

Hi, Does anyone here have an idea how to perhaps go about detecting if an application being run on the touch devices is pirated or not. I have read some disturbing articles recently on the state of piracy with touch device apps and it concerns me.

I dont want to give anyone who has not bought the app any access to any of the bonus material or online highscore tables etc.

It amazes me that they use the excuse "it gives the player the ability to try before they buy" That excuse was perhaps legitimate in the days of $50 games but when your talking about 99cents or $2 there is no excuse.

Any ideas thoughts?

Cheers

Mike R

fjsantosb

Hi mykyl66,

I am currently looking some info about it.
I think same as you, that piracy on iphone is not a excuse on try before you buy; you always can get free or lite app for trying purposes.
Apple say that worldwide iPhone jailbreaker is about 7%, so it's not very worried about it, but i think they might 'update' his drm methods.
My game was on piracy web, applous, 2 days after my release.

This was my 2 cents.

King Regards, fjsantos.
Francisco Santos Belmonte founder of Tip Tap Games.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tiptapgames
Facebook: http://dld.bz/dYVd
iPhone News & Sales: www.gamesappetizer.com

FutureCow

As with any platform, people will pirate anything and they will find a way around any protection you put in place. Nothing a small developer can do is likely to make it any harder for them.
There are things you could do to make your data less accessible (i.e. make it harder for someone to rip your graphics) but as far as stopping people copying your game goes, you've already lost the war.
My suggestion is to put on your website in big letters that you're keeping the price cheap so everyone can afford it and won't need to copy it. The best you can hope is that people who would otherwise copy it will buy it as it's cheap.

codegit

I HATE people that steal software. The laws should be MUCH stricter and authorities should prosecute offenders MORE often.  :rtfm:
------------------------------------------
1 X Acer TravelMate 4270, laptop, XP PRO
1 X Dell Studio 17 laptop, Windows 7
1 X MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 9400M
2 X iTouch
1 X HTC Desire (Android 2.1)
iPad soon to be added

Kitty Hello

In the next update there will be a hidden function you can call to chack if someone fiddled with the info.plist. That's a pretty good start.
Then, if the program is cracked display a message "You must not steal software", but after a few minutes of gameplay.

mykyl66

Thanks for the replies folks. I fully understand that piracy is the norm now. If it happens and they play the game then so be it. The only thing I want to be able to control really is the ability to join the legitimate users in the highscore tables.

Thanks again.

Mike

fjsantosb

The anti-piracy method mentioned will be a great start!
There is a interesting article about piracy nowadays here: http://smellslikedonkey.com/wordpress/?page_id=274

King Regards, fjsantos.
Francisco Santos Belmonte founder of Tip Tap Games.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tiptapgames
Facebook: http://dld.bz/dYVd
iPhone News & Sales: www.gamesappetizer.com

Why0Why

It isn't a major issue on the iPhone.  If only 7% are jailbroken, then the number in that 7% that are interested in your software is going to be pretty minimal.

mykyl66

Quote from: fjsantosb on 2009-Oct-27
The anti-piracy method mentioned will be a great start!
There is a interesting article about piracy nowadays here: http://smellslikedonkey.com/wordpress/?page_id=274

King Regards, fjsantos.

I saw that exact page and it is what made me think about ways around it.

Thanks

Mike R

trucidare

there is a lib for detecting 4 types of cracks and the crackolous method. Cant find th elink, will post it if i found it.
MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 8600M GT
Core i3 - 3,07 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 2.5 TB HDD, Geforce GTX 260+ OC