GLBasic IDE Font

Previous topic - Next topic

S.O.P.M.

Hello everyone,

today I would like to know what font are you using for the GLBasic editor. The reason I ask is because I changed it from time to time and till this day I've never found the perfect looking one for me. There's always something that I don't like. Sometimes it's a spacing issue for certain chars or the anti-aliasing doesn't look always good depending on what line/column/char is displayed or what size the font has. Currently I use a font called "DejaVu Sans Mono" whereby I've the best looking result for my liking. I think I'll keep it until I found a better one.

Maybe you can also tell me what are the best free fonts for coding and where can I download it?

Thanks for your attention :)

S.O.P.M.
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

kanonet

Lucida Console, Standard, Size 9. Using my custom colour set, see image.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

MrTAToad

The font used does change on which platform you use - it tends to be different on XP than Windows 8.

But Lucida Console is the one I use the most.

S.O.P.M.

Kanonet, your settings are quite nice, very eye-friendly. That's one good reading! I think this is because of the white background. If I use this font with the default blue background, the anti-aliasing makes the chars a little bit too blurry. Maybe it works better with a white background or it's just an optical illusion.

Now I think I've found a very nice font for coding: Source Code Pro. You can get it for free from Adobe. It looks similar to Lucida but has a larger line spacing with increases the readability in addition.

Download Source Code Pro

mentalthink

I normalyy work with this colors, about the font, I always want works with some font in Bold, but from version x, the bold fonts doesn't works...

Really the style I think it's the most confortable for the eyes it's the Sublime Text Editor, the font it's uses it's really really confortable for me, very rounded...

PS: Can be nice put a thread for sharing our "Themes" in Glbasic, the same the people done in Blender, or another IDE's, and the good point it's if the computer crash and you don't saves your theme, here it's...

S.O.P.M.

I created a new setup and I'm really happy with it, since I changed the colours. Now it's a crisp and clear display and coding is more fun now.

Don't ask why I never changed the colours before... :blink:

My colour setup:

WhitespaceRGB 248, 248, 248
BackgroundRGB 248, 248, 248
NormaltextRGB 0, 0, 0
Sel:marginRGB 192, 192, 192
Sel:backgroundRGB 128, 128, 128
Sel:textRGB 255, 255, 255
KeywordRGB 64, 0, 255
CommentRGB 0, 128, 0
OperatorRGB 255, 128, 128
StringRGB 255, 96, 64
User def. keyword   RGB 164, 0, 96
inline background   RGB 208, 208, 255

MrPlow

I use similar to Mentalthinks layout.

I think the forum default style should be changed to that look also - It will make all the code scattered throughout the forums much nicer.

It is easier on the eye strain and curious developers / newbies wouldn't be turned off by the gaudy blue backgrounds.

Code (glbasic) Select
FOREACH ns IN shots2[]

ns.y = ns.y + 3*speed
IF ns.y > shipy+20 THEN DELETE ns

NEXT

(Reminds me of an MS DOS editor from the <90s)
or

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

I like the easy style by Mental, but I prefer that for the likes of photoshop or lightwave, more on programs that are more visual then wordy.
I still use the standard GLB layout, but Kanonet´s style is really tempting.

I kind of think that a wordy program, like a coding tool, needs to have the words in strong appearance, in a way that while making a dinner over by the kitchen, I can just glimpse at my monitor far away and find a bug on the code...

Quote from: MrPlow on 2014-Jul-29
It is easier on the eye strain and curious developers / newbies wouldn't be turned off by the gaudy blue backgrounds.

But I think that gaudy blue style is really cool that way. It strikes fear in the heart of my friends when they come over and both my monitors are showing DOS style wall of texts code. They don´t even stare at the monitors let alone touch the mouse or get close to my worktable. It is amusing. ;)

The strong bizzare colors also make it look like I´m really busy and doing very important work in which the future of human race depends upon...even if the same screen is sitting there a few days already and I´m just procrastinating. It also puts away unwanted visitors in a very cool way, like I just have to say "Look, I would love to attend you but I´m really busy right now" and the unwanted visitor will be ashamedly sorry and get on his way without the need for me to be unpolite.

MrPlow

lol!

Yeah, the blue background can intimidate people alright - only recently changed from it myself but mainly because I was getting a sore head from the scrolling screen and needed a change. To us older coders the ms dos look is cute...but younger gen is like *aaarrrgghhh*
:)
Comp:

erico

Nah, it is better that way.
Long is the time gone when code in bizarre colors were deemed a nerdy thing.

Nowadays get a t-shirt with your printed game code in that gaudy blue and you will see all guys nervously shrinking away while the girls mud-fight to be by your side.
It is perfect for party! ;)

Look at the appended picture, have that on your monitor when the tax man comes by and he will return your taxes and apologize...I think I might even be able to not pay my rent if the landlord gets a glimpse of that.

+1 for alien code colors!

MrPlow

:nw:
My Sweet Amiga! Where are you now?

I do have one of these bad-boys...
Comp:

mentalthink

Guys the true of GLBasic it's blue it's simple.... The best machine of 8 bits...  :D :D :D :D

I normally use dark colors, I think them have to be better for the eyes, sometimes I use the Blue Background for a while and then change to some more dark...

A question , anyone works the Bold type, or can install another fonts... for my this it's really extrange sometimes I installed in Windows new fonts, and GLbasic don't see, and I never can turn on the Bold fonts....

For me the best Style, I think it's the more affordable for the eyes, it's the default uses Sublime Text, really this font it's cool very easy to see...

erico

Yeah! you can see from the Amstrad...Alien blood colors is what makes it all happen! :booze:

The terminal hardcore yellowish green on the COCO is also a great one! Don´t forget its rainbow cursor flashing frantically.
It is the kind of thing you could use as a wake up alarm in the morning...powerfull stuff! :D

MrPlow

Can we get a "flashing" cursor for GLB IDE?
:o
Comp:

S.O.P.M.

And a rectangular cursor of course ;)