Blue bordes on sprites !

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Edit: Never mind.

Anyway tried it, don't like it.  Guess it's going to be Graphics Gale after all.  Or Paint.net (which is easier and more intuitive to use to be honest).
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

Ian Price

Personally, I stick with MSPaint (borrowed from XP, not that horrible Windows7 shite). I only really use GIMP for adding alpha to my Wiz icons.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2010-Jul-22
Edit: Never mind.

Anyway tried it, don't like it.  Guess it's going to be Graphics Gale after all.  Or Paint.net (which is easier and more intuitive to use to be honest).
Yes, I didn't like it much either :)

Kitty Hello

I have Corel Photo Paint X4 now... And I don't know how to work with alpha. I'm getting old.

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jul-23
I have Corel Photo Paint X4 now... And I don't know how to work with alpha. I'm getting old.
You can complain about that when you get as old as I am.  Or actually Ian because he's one year older than me.  =D

I'm looking at buying my first digital pad in years.  This time I'm getting a Wacom instead of a very cheap and nasty knock-off.  It's going to break my bank for sometime (despite being the lower end of the scale for their pads) but it's going to be worth it.  It also comes with Photoshop Elements which will be the first time in years that I've used that.  Whats Corel Photo Paint X4 like?

Kitty Hello

Corel Draw (Vector) is the best vector program IMO. But I never was good at the pixel program the offer. It's sort of photo shop. For pixel images it's not that good. I prefer MSPaint (XP) for that.

backslider

Paint.Net is good, too for Pixels because you can add alpha to each pixel (if you want) :)

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Jul-23
Corel Draw (Vector) is the best vector program IMO. But I never was good at the pixel program the offer. It's sort of photo shop. For pixel images it's not that good. I prefer MSPaint (XP) for that.
Hmm really?  I used to do all my cartoons in vector form and have been looking for a replacement product for what I used to use ie. Macromedia (products now owned by Adobe I think) Fireworks.  I used to push the limits of the program a lot because I also used to do 'paintings' in Fireworks even though it was really only designed to make creating simple graphics for webpages, but I did them as vectors instead of bitmaps because it meant I could easily edit and make rather interesting changes on the fly.  However it would take aaaaaaages to load each time and if I decided to select all it would almost cause my computer to lock up.  Fireworks wont even load some of the pictures now but thankfully it saved all pictures in a sort of dual PNG format that allowed other programs to see them as bitmaps so I can still load them. =D

Only downside is that all the Corel stuff costs an arm and a leg.

PS My avatar is a vector 'painting' done in Fireworks.  Even though this particular version is only 80x80 pixels, the original PNG file is almost 2Mb. :)

Moru

I used CorelDraw 8 a lot but mostly black/white or simple colors for logos, maps and similar stuff. Great program but a bit overpriced for the stuff we used it for :-) I'm not sure how good it is for sketching though.

Kitty Hello

I get the version 2 releases behind every now and then. About EUR 99 a pack.

matchy

I use Adobe Illustrator and have found it useful to export shape points with VBScript and import to GLB polyvector. :)

Wampus

I've been using Graphics Gale to put together some animations but I've been saving as BMP, i.e. only been using a single colour as transparency and no alpha channel. Because of that I've not seen problems but thanks for the head's up.

ketil

I use PhotoImpact or Gimp (depending on what i want to do), but I hear very good things about Pro Motion from some of my friends in the demoscene.

They say that Pro Motion is very good for animations, and it that it got "the DeluxePaint feeling".
It also includes an integrated Map/Tile editor for levels (thats why I'm probably going to buy it).

But ... for now: PhotoImpact, Gimp and Tiled (this is so cool) for doing graphics and levels.
"Sugar makes the world go 'round. Caffeine makes it spin faster."

Hatonastick

Quote from: Ragaril on 2010-Jul-23
I've been using Graphics Gale to put together some animations but I've been saving as BMP, i.e. only been using a single colour as transparency and no alpha channel. Because of that I've not seen problems but thanks for the head's up.
Yeah seems to be tied into the PNG library they are using.  From what I could see it's pretty ancient.  I think I'll be going BMP's from now on myself with GG.

aonyn

Personally, this is my vector graphics editor of choice.
http://www.xara.com/us/

I have been a CG guy, both 2D and 3D since about 1992.
I was a long time adobe guy, until I discovered Xara, and really have not looked back.
I never touch illustrator, and only occasionally do I need photoshop.
I also used Corel many years ago.
Xara is just very fast, easy to use, and priced very reasonably compared to the others, especially adobe.
And it handles alpha for png very simply.

For 3D work, I use modo.
http://www.luxology.com/
A bit on the expensive side, but still a bargain compared to max or maya, and very nice interface.

I know this was off topic, but figured I would point out Xara since the topic of editors was mentioned.
For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. -Ephesians 2:8-9