Android - V10 release candidate

Previous topic - Next topic

BigAnd

Cheers for that MrTAToad and cheers Kitty for the fix  =D

bigsofty

How stable is this release, anyone tried it a largish project? I don't see anyone complaining lately, which is a good sign.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Crivens

I was going to ask that. I've been avoiding it and the latext XCode just incase I have problem. If people are getting stuff onto the app store with it then I think I'll upgrade. Or does anyone have a good idea of when it should be released?

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

MrTAToad

I released my Spots demo - I've had as of today 17 total installs and 6 active installs and no comments or rating  Its been available for 2/3 weeks now.

Contrast that with 4373 downloads for webOS, with most people disliking the graphics (or somehow finding it hard to navigate  :blink: ).  However, with the help of Erico (who is kind enough to be re-doing the graphics), I'm hoping the next version will fair better...

bigsofty

Ah cool, its feels quite stable, no bother with my rather large project, even my amateurish inline C gubbins all worked fine. The only problem was the update seemed broken but I found your link fixing that MrT.   :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

felix330

if I try to compile for Android I get this Error: "*** Error: Environment variable JAVA_HOME must be set to JDK path
Please install the Java Development Kit and set the variable.
Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.xx"
But how do I set the environment variable? I have tried: "GLOBAL JAVA_HOME  = "C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_26"" , but it still won't work.

MrTAToad

The JAVA_HOME should be set in Windows Environment Section

felix330

Found it, thanks! :)
EDIT: Is it also possible to install the APK on a virtual Android machine? I don't have an Android device to test it on.

Kitty Hello

Yes. Just install the SDK and run the emulator. The uploading is done by GLBasic.

MrTAToad

NETWEBEND doesn't seem to be working on Android...

mentalthink

Hi I like to have multitouch active in Android, if not it´s a hard job.

Iván J

Kitty Hello

It's on the ToDo list. My device should be able to deal with it now, so I can test it.

Moebius

I've noticed that GLB copies all the media files (a necessary step).  After the first run everything loads quickly, but the user is left looking at a blank screen with the app name for a very long time on the first run, and it would be great if instead of a blank screen there was a splash screen...

Fiddling around with SDLActivity.java, setContentView() can be used for views defined in the layout xml files (making it easy to create a splash screen using graphics in the "drawable" folder).  However, the view that's been set doesn't become visible until after everything is initialised - at least until after onCreate(), onStart(), and onResume(), ruling out putting the copyAssets() call in one of them...

Is displaying a splash screen possible?  The two ways it could be done seem to be: getting a view to be displayed during initialisation - which from I can tell isn't possible, or calling copyAssets() just before GLB code, after initialisation.
If that can be called, setContentView(mSurface) could be put in copyAssets() (or a better named function) so that the splash screen is displayed right up until everything is copied and GLBasic code is reached...

The second option doesn't seem possible to me either as the compiler complains if copyAssets (and the other copy/delete functions) are declared as static...

Anyway is it possible?  I can't get any further with my understanding and with the code I have access to.  :giveup:  Any ideas?
Endless Loop: n., see Loop, Endless.
Loop, Endless: n., see Endless Loop.
- Random Shack Data Processing Dictionary

Kitty Hello

OK, I think a splash screen should be possible. I will think about a way to display it and what about different screen sizes?
Phew.