Getting a Linux program up and running #2

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuron

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Apr-07
I don't think I said that it wont work under Mandriva -
Apologies, I was referring to this post by Moru.

Moru

If I remember right that was due to my program having some windows-specific inline code left in it.

Kuron

MrTAToad: 

1.  I am guessing the main problem is tracking the hard to find libs for the old version of GCC that Gernot is using?
2.  You also mentioned difficulty under 64 bit versions.  Could you extrapolate on this?

MrTAToad

With the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, you can't use the standard libraries - you need the 32-bit versions (otherwise things wont work).  Which means slightly different files to get install - if I remember correctly, it has -32 at the end of the filename part of the file.

The main problem was finding the correct files (and any dependencies).  With Ubuntu its fairly easy (and some nice chappie had written a utility to find the needed files), but with Mandriva and even more so with CentOS, it gets a bit complicated - never did find everything needed unfortunately.

Schokobecher

kittie:
You ever thought about a Virtualbox with a fresh Ubuntu?
Maybe I could assist you, but I'm kinda busy so don't expect too much :/

MrTAToad

It's more like getting the required files together - the only thing I can suggest is get all the required files from the repository (including all depenacies) and use those.  The problem will be getting all the depenancies, although I think they may be listed too

Kitty Hello

I do have a recent GCC here. But I need all the libraries required. That means I have to get them to my windows PC in the cygwin style. I must copy them with ssh I think. But I have no idea how to do that.

Moru

You can install a VirtualBox, install the OS you want, install the share-cd included with VirtualBox and then you can share folders on your windows and just copy files over. Let us know on IRC and someone can guide you :-)

As about finding what files you need, I have no clue... :-)

Kuron

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2010-Apr-09
I do have a recent GCC here. But I need all the libraries required. That means I have to get them to my windows PC in the cygwin style. I must copy them with ssh I think. But I have no idea how to do that.
Gernot, would andLinux be of any help?  Unfortunately, it is not using the most recent version of Ubuntu, but it does integrate Linux into Windows in a way that many things on one OS can be accessed by the other OS.

*edit*  updated for hyperlink

Schokobecher

Yes, I guess andLinux would work also.

Kuron

MrTAToad:  Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and for sharing your insight.

Kuron

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Apr-11
Kuron,

thank you for pointing me to andLinux!
NP, I hope you find it useful.

I am hoping Gernot may find it helpful to do what he needs to do.

Kuron

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Apr-21as of yesterday I ditched andLinux.  The configuration hassles were no less than just using a Linux client on a VirtualBox emulation.  I must admit though, that the andLinux solution is a much thinner one.
Like any distro, it is not for everybody. ;)

MrTAToad

The included file contains the deb package needed to get Linux GLBasic programs running.  I dont think it includes the clipboard package, but that isn't usually needed...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kitty Hello