Getting a Linux program up and running #2

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

With Ubuntu/Kubuntu et al 9.10, the C libraries that a GLBasic executable use are not long (easily) available.  It also a pain getting it working on the x64 version of these operating systems

However, after much hunting around, I found this on the Ubuntu forums :

Quotecd ~/Desktop
wget http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/getlibs-all.deb
wget http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-17ubuntu1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i getlibs-all.deb
getlibs -i libstdc++5_3.3.6-17ubuntu1_i386.deb

And if you're using the Gernot's Clipboard routine, you will also need :

Quotesudo apt-get install xsel

An aalternative way of getting the C libraries is to use Jaunty repository at http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/libstdc++5/download

This will do until either Gernot manages to get all the used libraries statically linked into the executable or more modern libraries are used   :whip:

Kitty Hello

does anyone have a static libC++5.x? please? (GCC 3.3.3)

MrTAToad

Its isn't just a compiling flag ?

Kitty Hello

Kuron

Has any progress been made on this?

MrTAToad

Gernot hasn't had much luck with it...

Kuron

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Nov-23
does anyone have a static libC++5.x? please? (GCC 3.3.3)

Do you still need this?

Kitty Hello

I would. But then, all my SDL libs and such rely on that. I need to throw all the libs away and get totally new ones. The main problem is, that they are so tightly connected that I seem to need a 200 MG package just to get it linking...

Kuron

MrTAToad:  I am curious if you have tried GL compiled games under 10.04 and what steps you had to go through to get it to work?

MrTAToad

Normally I would try the beta, but for some reason I haven't downloaded it yet...

Time to get on it :)

Kuron

Ack, don't do it on my account.  I still consider myself a Linux newbie, but I am wanting to move to Linux only.  However this thread and the previous one make me question whether GLB is the best choice for Linux.

Kitty Hello

It's a true shame.
What I actually need is a set of all libraries on a standard ubuntu system, with the symbolic links kept in place.
I don't know if one can get that with ssh or any other way.
If you can help me get the library files to my PC, I'd really appreciate that.
The Cygwin environment does make the symbolic links just a write protected .lnk file and the "comment" is the target IIRC.

Can anyone assist, please?

Kuron

QuoteIt's a true shame.
I do not know about that, it seems common for Linux.  I have never gotten BlitzMax to work properly on Linux which is why I gave BM away.  PureBasic works with little effort on Linux, unfortunately, it is not the best solution for games.  GLB is the only 3D solution for Linux.

My main GLB concerns are:

1.  A previous post seemed to indicate that GLB programs would not work at all under Mandriva which is one of the most popular distros and my personal distro of choice.

2.  Ubuntu is very good about bundling nice freeware games as part of the official Ubuntu distro.  Unfortunately, with the hunting Toad had to do to find the runtime/lib needed for Ubuntu, it would lessen chances of getting something to be included with Ubuntu, as included programs need to work out of the box on a standard install.

Moru

I didn't have any troubles running GLBasic programs on Mandriva when I tried it last year. But that was on a VirtualBox.

MrTAToad

I don't think I said that it wont work under Mandriva - its just very hard to find the appropriate libraries.  I managed to find some, but not all of the required libraries.  This is the problem with different (and completing) systems - libraries get called different things...

If Moru can tell us what libraries need to be installed, that would be good :)

Anyway, with Ubuntu 10, nothing much has changed - same routine as described at the beginning of this post to install everything needed (and use apt-get install for SDL)