Chaos Rematch - WIP thread

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

Chaos: The Battle of Wizards is a classic. There are a lot of remakes on the PC but nothing available for iOS. The Android version is OK but its so faithful to the original it includes many things that weren't great to begin with. Anyway, I've always wanted to play a newer Chaos game on mobile devices. I also expected there to be a version for iOS by now since various people have announced an ambition to do it, which has made me reluctant to do the same. Well, I'm done waiting. My next project is my own take on Chaos: The Battle of Wizards. Work has already started.

What I'm going to do: Keep the essential gameplay that made the original fun then add to it while removing some elements that weren't good. True network multiplayer will definitely be a feature, although an option to use the old hotseat multiplayer of the original is also planned.

What I'm not going to do: The look and feel of the original will be gone. In particular the UI is going to receive a major overhaul. Graphics will be 16-bit era or better. It won't be 3D

This version is going to kick ass.  8)

r0ber7

Nathan

Is that game similar to Laser Squad?  I had it on my Amiga 500, it was a superb game, and multiplayer was really good fun.

erico

Great, I remember this one from CU AMIGA magazine, but I never got it.
Seems to be great fun to play! keep us posted! :good:

Wampus

Chaos is similar to Laser Squad and by the same guy, Julian Gollop - a very talented guy.

Today I was working on player wizards. The original had several types and colours available. There were also special magical enhancements like amour, weapons, wings for flying and stuff like that. To allow for all that and more I am creating a system that 1) allows you to have great control over your wizard's appearance, and 2) allows for many changes to the main sprite's appearance to reflect their in-game enhancements. The possible combinations will be vast. Here is a small example:-

The wizard on the left has the magical staff enhancement - something you'll be able to get during a battle if you're lucky. The wizard on the right has magical armour enhancement. I've only got one type of clothing so far. Many other types are coming.

r0ber7

Wampus

Thanks! The trouble is I actually hate doing gfx. It can drive me up the wall. I much prefer the analytical problem solving of programming or the conceptual creativity of game design.

Since this game will involve a lot of animated creatures and similar stuff I was feeling worried about how I was going to cope. Luckily the girl who writes music for my games suggested she could help. She will illustrate and animate while I will pixelate the results. Below is a sprite of a wolf we produced last night over a couple of beers. I'm happy that with her help I'll get through the gfx much happier and quicker:-

erico

Ian Price

While the image looks great, it looks more like a fox than a wolf, due to its colouring. Make it grey or blue and it might look more like a wolf.

It still looks great though :)
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

this is what I like when doing remake when whet commercial and its unofficial. Look like he is aware of all spikes around copyright and stuff, so its can been a nice take and inspiration from that game.

I have not played the game, but I do loved Laser Squard.

Anyway its the wolf can been threated like a fox, but lits it been a fox since its look pretty nice, hehe.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Yep the colors make it look like a fox, but I didn´t notice/bother when I first saw.
If you would allow me to express personal opinion, I think the final could do with less antialiase, and the wolf´s teeth could be placed closer to the right on the month instead of the left, like when dogs get angry/show teeth kind of stuff.

But this is not that important, the art already carries a style, that is difficult to pull out. congrats.

Wampus

The amount of antialising was/is partly due to re-scaling. I've changed the sprite sizes to a max of 96 pixels width and max of 128 pixels height. That should help a little. Some devices will struggle with the gfx when zoomed far our but this is a turn-based game so occasional dips to 20-30FPS shouldn't cause strife.

We have greyified the direwolf:-

I like this little guy:-

Everything I'm doing with this turn-based game should help my bigger project: a real-time mixed-genre game with lots of robots in a fully mechanised world. The gfx for the bigger project will need to be very good. I'm hoping to find a vector artist who is good at drawing cartoon robots in a Megaman style.

Ian Price

That wolf looks so much better now - the animation is top notch too :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

I wish I would be 5% of such an artist.  :nw:

r0ber7

Just curious. How is this one going?