Glue an object to another

Previous topic - Next topic

nabz32

Hello,

If you want to glue an object to another one, here is a nice code snipped for you:

Code (glbasic) Select

// --------------------------------- //
// Project: genericGlue
// Start: Wednesday, June 10, 2015
// IDE Version: 12.312

TYPE vec3D
x#
y#
z#
ENDTYPE

TYPE object
objID% // could store a previously loaded objects ID
x#
y#
z#
anX#
anY#
anZ#
glueDist#
glueInit%
rootGlueObjAnY#
myOldAny#
glueObjAnY#
glueObject%
ENDTYPE

GLOBAL Objects[] AS object

main()

FUNCTION main:
LOCAL ObjectMax% , finished%
ObjectMax = 10 ; finished = 0
DIM Objects[ObjectMax]
// create some objects
WHILE finished = 0
// you could change glueDist and glueObjAnY before the calculateglue() call for relative movements
calculateGlue()
// draw those objects here
WEND
ENDFUNCTION

FUNCTION calculateGlue:
LOCAL rotate AS vec3D
FOR i = 0 TO ObjectMax - 1 // parse through all objects
IF Objects[i].glueInit = 0 AND Objects[i].glueObject > -1 // initialise gluing
// get glue Dist by using pythagoras on the x and z difference between object A and object B
Objects[i].glueDist = SQR( ( POW( ( Objects[i].x - Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].x ) , 2 ) + POW( ( Objects[i].z - Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].z ) , 2 ) ) )
// get the original Y Angle of the object where object A is glued to ( of object B )
Objects[i].rootGlueObjAnY = Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].anY
// save the original Y Angle of tobject A
Objects[i].myOldAnY = Objects[i].anY
// get the Y Angle between Object A and Object B
Objects[i].GlueObjAnY = 360 - ( ATAN( ( Objects[i].z - Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].z ) , ( Objects[i].x - Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].x ) ) + 180 )
// get the Y difference between object A and object B
Objects[i].yDistRoot = Objects[i].y - Objects[Objects[i].linkEvent].y
// set glue initialisation variable
Objects[i].glueInit = 1
ENDIF
IF Objects[i].glueInit > 0 AND Objects[i].glueObject > -1 // calculate coordinates for a glueing initialised object
// calculate a vector which originates in ( 0 , 0 , 0 ) and has the Objects new X and Z positions as endcoordinates
rotate.x = Objects[i].glueDist * COS( 360 - ( Objects[i].glueObjAnY - ( Objects[i].rootGlueObjAnY - Objects[ Objects[i].glueObject].anY ) ) )
rotate.z = Objects[i].glueDist * SIN( 360 - ( Objects[i].glueObjAnY - ( Objects[i].rootGlueObjAnY - Objects[ Objects[i].glueObject].anY ) ) )
rotate.y = Objects[i].yDistRoot
// rotate the vector, which is stored as rotate ( the call order is important here )
RotateCoordAroundOrigin( 0 , 360 - ( Objects[ Objects[i].glueObject].anY + 180 ) , 0 , rotate )
RotateCoordAroundOrigin( 360 - ( Objects[ Objects[i].glueObject].anZ + 180 ) , 0 , 0 , rotate )
RotateCoordAroundOrigin( 0 , 0 , 360 - ( Objects[ Objects[i].glueObject].anX + 180 ) , rotate )
// add the rotated vector to the real origin ( the real origin is at the coordinates of object B )
Objects[i].x = Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].x + rotate.x
Objects[i].z = Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].z + rotate.z
Objects[i].y = Objects[Objects[i].glueObject].y + rotate.y
// finally also change X and Z angles of the object
Objects[i].anY = Events[eNr].myOldAnY - ( Events[eNr].rootGlueObjAnY - Events[Events[eNr].glueObject].anY )
Objects[i].anX = Events[Events[eNr].glueObject].anX
Objects[i].anZ = Events[Events[eNr].glueObject].anZ
ENDIF
NEXT
ENDFUNCTION

FUNCTION RotateCoordAroundOrigin: rotx# , roty# , rotz# , point AS coord // point is called by reference
LOCAL result AS vec3D
result = point
IF rotx > 0
result.y = point.y * COS(rotx) - point.z * SIN(rotx) ; result.z = point.y * SIN(rotx) + point.z * COS(rotx)
ENDIF
IF roty > 0
result.x = point.x * COS(roty) + point.z * SIN(roty) ; result.z = point.x * SIN(roty) + point.z * COS(roty)
ENDIF
IF rotz > 0
result.x = point.x * COS(rotz) - point.y * SIN(rotz) ; result.y = point.x * SIN(rotz) + point.y * COS(rotz)
ENDIF
point = result
ENDFUNCTION

With the Object will always stay in the same position and angle to the object it has been glued onto,
no matter how the object which "carries" the glued object turns.

I used this to glue my event objects together, to make even more interesting Bossfights and it works nicely.
You just need to preload 2 objects and set the variable glueInit to 1 and the calculate glue function will do the rest.
Of course you will also need to draw those objects using the information stored in the object type,
if you want some visible results.

You can also change the glueDist and glueObjAnY Variables over time, to make one Object orbit the other one or do other cool
stuff with it.

Schranz0r

It's called Parenting and Child setting :D
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

nabz32

In dbpro its called glue object

kanonet

Wouldn't it be easier to just use X_PUSHMATRIX+X_POPMATRIX? And of cause every Enity System can do this too (Schranz0r named it). But of cause, well done, still.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

mentalthink

I'm not sure guys but I think in the 3Demos comes an example similar ins't?¿, I think appears some torus and boxes turning around itself.

erico

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2015-Jun-11
It's called Parenting and Child setting :D
Quote from: nabz32 on 2015-Jun-11
In dbpro its called glue object

You guys are all wrong...
the proper name is "3 dimensional silver taping". :P

Code looks interesting, bookmarked for when I get to 3d.
Thanks for sharing.

nabz32

Well good to know, that GLBasic supports matrix tranformations. :-[
It is very nice to have many events glued to another one, i.E. for different scripts for every weapon system of a boss.

I have even made one who has blinking buttons on the back, after some time one of those starts to blink green,
then you have to jump on that and another will turn green, hit all in one combo jump in the right order for a real hit on the boss.