mac alternatives

Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Hi all, first I'm not sure if posting this kind of things is bad, if you think it is, just remove. :noggin:

I came across this article:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/how-to-build-a-mac-for-300-907499

it's how to build a mac with 300$ using ebay parts or so,
now I believe buying the original stuff is the way, specially a mini mac for glbasic development por i-stuff.

But the article is cool and you can read on further and read the links it provides about pc/mac parts compatibility, now that I believe may come handy for those mac users out there as you may replace defective parts with cheaper pc parts and so on.

Whichever way, I believe it is a good read. :good:

XanthorXIII

I tried this a long time ago and also bought a Mac for myself as well. There's a real difference to actually owning a Mac as opposed to building a Hackintosh.
The biggest is that you don't have to worry about updates that get put out. The other is the look and feel of a Mac is fairly nice.
Having said that I can still see why some folks want to build a Hackintosh and I really do wish them well on their en devour.
Owlcat has wise

erico

definitely agree with you, I'm looking to get a mac mini myself.
But around the article you may see some links to sites that show compatibility information, it may be usefull in case you have to replace something, like for example a DVDrw or power suply, and can't afford the price of the originals.

Of course original parts are the best, but just in case someone can't afford or something. I hope no one get's offended by this, the idea is always to help and share material to study/research.

Ian Price

I considered doing a Hackintosh myself, however I got lucky with the GP2XSpain comp, so I used the prize money to partially fund a  Mac Mini. I couldn't be arsed with the hassle that went along with building one - especially since there's no guarantee that everything will work properly now or in the next OSX update.

TBH this guy paid £300 for all the componenets - you can get a used fairly new oldstyle Mac Mini for the same (or less) on eBay. Seems a bit pointless to me.

I have to say though that I'd still rather use a Windows pc than a Mac. I don't think the OS is the most advanced in the world. Give me Windows 7 over Snow Leopard any day. A real shame that Apple hold the reigns so tightly on their baby :(

What I would love though is a pc/Mac/whatever to be as ready to use as quickly as an iPod. Why do pcs take soooo long to boot up? Apple has proved that you can have access to your apps within a couple of seconds of turning the machine on. Even hibernate on desktops and Mac doesn't recover that quickly. My mobile phone takes longer than iPod and has less functionality. I know the iPod lacks functionality and certain drivers, but still...
I came. I saw. I played.

XanthorXIII

@Ian - Yeah I agree. The functionality of Mac OSX leaves some to be desired, especially their Window Management. I still don't get how people can be completely in love with something that can become so disorganized.
Owlcat has wise

erico

as an opinion, and pardon me for this...

applications you use are what counts,
I have never seen any plataform rock graphics on photoshop like macs do, never, gimp or whathever, macs rock with photoshop and illustrator and final cut and so and so , again , pcs have their share when it comes to render 3d images and precision control to open gl cards....

I love all platforms, I stick to pcs as pioneers applications tend to appear on them first , like sculptris , dp pro, curvy 3d and so many others.
wouldn't  wanna have another mac x pc thread here, we all know they are aces, it is just for research...

Ian Price

Quotewouldn't  wanna have another mac x pc thread here, we all know they are aces, it is just for research...
I was talking purely about the OS, not app software. Hence I mentioned the iPod OS.

I don't give a toss what machine I use - for gaming or other, I have pretty much every system available, so I'm not a hardware snob.

Anyway, what's wrong with hardware wars? ;) :P
I came. I saw. I played.

XanthorXIII

The only way I rock is through my Timex Sinclair 1000.
If I only had one though.......
Owlcat has wise

Hatonastick

I say bring back the Amstrad CPC series!
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

erico

all together with the coco II hehe