Will this Mac Mini do for iOS work?

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Hi,

Since my old iMac is no longer up to scratch, I am looking for a cheap replacement. A quick look on eBay and this has caught my attention.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mac-mini-2-0-GHz-Intel-Core-2-Duo-/230878900294?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item35c1747046

Is this(Core 2 Duo machine) suitable for the latest OSX and XCode?

Thanks in advance,

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

mentalthink

Hi Bigsofty I have this ...

Mac mini 2.26 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo... runs perfectly...

I only Upgrade the Ram from 2Gb to 4Gb and  I want upgrade to 8Gb, but not it´s needed...

I use Mac and Windows under parallel Desktops... too much better than VMware... I use 3DS Max under Windows 7, and runs very very well, and I do some models whit a lot of polys and the text are about 2048 in most cases...

I can use any soft whit Mac and Win running at the same time and works very well, in fact I use FRAPS, and save the video at 60 FPS perfectly sometimes a little Stop, but nothing important...

Sometimes, the machine goes Slow... but only restar and works again very fast...

About Xcode I havde 4.4.1 I don't know if it´s the last, but runs very fine... I don´t want Upgrade because iPod touch 2nd, don´t accept teh last XCode... Apple and his lazy things.

PS: For make the Windows runs fine and the Mac, I inhabilite some process not necesaries in Mac and Win, thinks like index files, or in Windows I don´t put Aero...

bigsofty

Thank you    Mentalthink, that's just the kind of information I was after!  :booze:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

that mini should run very nice and its upgradabe to Lion.

yes you need to limit what you want to support:
Either iPhone 5 or the older devices before 3gs.

I personly choiced the iPhone 5, since there was no reason doing that, and I have never tested the game on those old device (3gs is the oldest devist I have).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

hardyx

This macmini will work fine with OSX Lion/Mountain Lion. But you must to upgrade the RAM memory if you want to be smoother. Note that macminis motherboards have a maximum of RAM you can put in. Check in Apple site or sites like crucial.com with the model number to know the memory you can put. My Core2 Duo for example, allows 4Gb maximum.

mentalthink

About buy memory, in USA you have OWC it´s an specilized shop for mac... they have a lot of things... the prices are very cheaper

In Spain, I think it´s in Bacelona, we have macnificos another specialized shop... for about 20€ you have 4Gb more of ram...

I say this becuase buy in apple I think it´s an steal, the usb Cable cost about 20$ in China exactly the same 3$ and the shipment it´s free...

bigsofty

OK, handy info, thanks guys. After looking into things it seems that the resale value of my slightly out if date 20" iMac is roughly the same as this Mac Mini, which is good.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Marmor

yap this will work bigsofty but ....

Will it blend ??

bigsofty

:'( Oh if only I had a big enough blender to try...    :D
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Marmor

i like my mini !!  :-*
he is running 24/7/365 since  okt 2010 !

okee

That Mac Mini may not be compatible with Mountain Lion, according to Apple
http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/
QuoteMac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

I have a Macbook that's Mid 2007 and i upgraded to 2 GB,
but can't get M Lion off the App Store, just says it's not compatible with my machine,
I'm nearly sure the only way to get M Lion is through the App Store
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

Marmor

Mini must be early 2009 for mountain lion !!

mentalthink

I found this and seems you can install in the mac 2009 early a mountain Lion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_547707&feature=iv&src_vid=PaixM8sA164&v=jhEN66

Sorry I don´t read fine the previous post... :-[  :whistle:

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)