Last chance to grab a Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega Plus Console tonight...

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

Hey guys forget this and buy this product... done for the people of my retro forum.
http://www.verkami.com/projects/14074-zx-uno

The cool of this device is a lot of things, but I love the pins out for make electronics projects....

Only in 7 hours they arrived to the money needed.

bigsofty

If your going down fpga route the the well established MIST FPGA is the way to go. It already runs many micro cores (including the Speccy) and arcade ones too...

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96

But this is a different beast, Lords of Chaos in my pocket was simply too hard to resist.  :happy:

@Ian: Go on Ian, you know you want too...  ;)
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

@bigsofty

I resisted. I have other devices that emulate the Speccy already, but...

The problem really is that I have too many games, for too many machines and absolutely no time to play any of them. I've still got games from a couple of years ago, still in their shrink wrap. I haven't coded anything other than small demos in the last year+. Adding something else to ignore on top of my playlist isn't going to turn anything around.

It's a cracking looking machine and seemingly worthy of the £100 by the look of things, but it would just gather dust in my house right now. :(

I'm even holding off getting a PC Engine - my dream machine. One day. One day...
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Fair enough, I'll drop a mini review back here in the forums when it finally arrives in September.

My dream machine is an arcade Tempest machine, my favourite game from the 80's, I've hung back to long though over the last 10 years, they've went from a few hundred to a couple of grand, maybe one day... 
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

The original Tempest arcade game is awesome, but definitely bettered by Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar and TxK on Vita. The PS1 version (Tempest X3) is also excellent, but the music is miuch better in the Jag version.

Having an arcade game in your lounge (or whatever) is great too, although mine has long since gone (Jamma 60 in 1).
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

I agree Tempest 2000 and TxK are great games, I was lucky enough to have been able to buy a copy of TxK before it withdrawn.

I'm a big fan of vector XY monitor games in general, probably the first game I played was Asteroids and I lost a lot of my dinner money on Battlezone too. For me Tempest though, the game design, colour vector graphics, spinner control and sound fx, were all spot on.

Bitmap graphicswise, well Defender was a gloriously frantic work of art, although I could never get any good at it, Salamander and Truxion were games that I remember favourably.

I suppose I'm just an old shmup fan. I would love any of these machines TBH but there getting rarer than hens teeth recently, with prices to match.  :S
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Ian Price

BattleZone and Defender. You're definitely talking in the same language as me :D

Do you mean Truxton? I had that on the MegaDrive BITD. Awesome shooter.

I enjoyed Gradius/Nemesis, but never got into the sequels as there was only one aracde near me when I grew up and it didn't have the cabs. Speaking of similar games, the only time I ever played R-Type was when the travelling fair arrived one year. Had a few games and never played it again in arcade form. :( Obviously I've made up for it since in MAME etc.

My absolute fave arcade games though are RoboCop (I played it so much I could complete it in one credit), OutRun, TumblePop, Space Harrier (gotta be the sit down version) and Rainbow Islands, with sprinklings of AfterBurner II and Operation Wolf  thrown in for good measure. Golden Axe too. Nearly forgot that one. Bit of a SEGA arcade fan...

Ho hum, back on topic - please do keeo us informed about the Vega+ :D
I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Aha!, Truxton, that was it, it's been a few years BTW, but what a great game, I remember the lovely arching plasma pickup that obliterated anything on the screen. Robocop, yes great game, it captured the 80s film mega violence well iirc.

Yup, good times, I'll drop you a review of the Vega+ as soon as the postie drops it off Ian! ;)
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

I got Red myself :)

I backed it early on!

Looks super!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.