Darmakwolf returns! with.......................

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

**see latest post for beta download**

Kodai no Chikara (Hidden Power) - an RPG game, and possibly the only Final Fantasy inspired RPG for GLBasic!
I know I was on hiatus for a while, but I returned because I found some free time. In that time, I played some
Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, and decided to make a game of similar simplicity. The project is unique because
it is rendered in SNES standard resolution (256x224) so when it is played on a CRT television it's like a true
classic. (The game has zoom options, you won't be stuck with a tiny window!) So far I have finished the mapping
system, the inventory and item database, complete with item database editor written in C#. Equipping / unequipping
armors and weapons, and using items with effects is complete. Next step is NPC system and battle system, then I'm
all set to make the game playable! Another important note: The game will be playable 2-player, like FF5/6, where the
second controller can be set up to command the third and fourth party members for more co-op fun. Here's some screenshots.

Ian Price

OOhh! Feelings of joy-joy here! Anything resembling FF gets a big thumbs up from me. As does SNES (and PRE-SNES) style gfx and sfx.   :happy:   :good:

Is it done yet? :P

Welcome back BTW. Why C# for the editor and not just GLB itself?
I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

Welcome back Darmakwolf!
The game looking ace :)
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

mentalthink

Welcome again, and the game looks very very cool, but for which platform, it's only for PC?¿

Darmakwolf

Mentalthink, I will compile for Windows, OSX, Linux, and Android.
Ian, I used C# for the editor to get some practice in! Also it involved TONS of controls, which GLBasic doesn't handle too easily (DDGUI is sometimes not what I need...)
Thanks for the compliments! It's the most code I've ever written in a project so far - I'm over 10,000 lines. I am hand-drawing all of the graphics in a pixel art program. Having fun making the code, too! :) :booze:

mentalthink

That's it's cool perhaps in Steam or the Greenlight market you can sell the game... I read a lot of C# and I have the doubt of learn C# or Java, I read the compatibility whit C# it's a Hell...
I get out the hat, make the graphics whit pixel Art, it's really really difficult, I think much more than do 3D...

No development Blog?¿...

bigsofty

WB Darmakwolf, you've been very busy and it looks great!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Darmakwolf

Thanks Mentalthink and Bigsofty! I may just put it on the steam greenlight thing. I'd give it to GLBasic forum members for free of course!

Darmakwolf

Mentalthink - C# is not meant to be "ported." The entire .NET framework is meant to be a Microsoft exclusive deal. It's still quite popular because most businesses don't care that their server program doesn't run on Mac OS. For better or for worse, Windows dominates the business world. I think Java is still the most commonly used language for business though, because it's 100% portable and many people can help manage it.

Hark0

http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Darmakwolf

Quote from: Hark0 on 2013-Sep-01
Oh my God! Very nice! Any video?

Sorry Hark0, not yet. Once I finish the battle system I'll likely have a demo available though, which is even better! :good:

Darmakwolf

I am not finished with the battle system, so this demo version is to demonstrate the inventory and walking around the map.
When the game begins, if the window is too small, click the little gear in the upper-left corner to adjust to the proper resolution. (I've set it small by default so basically any old computer can display it properly)

How to test this demo:

Use the mouse at the title screen (It's being revised, it'll be entirely keyboard/game controller only soon.) and click play. Use arrow keys to move about. Return/enter opens the inventory. The character graphics are obviously placeholders. Use the arrow keys to navigate the menu. This game, without a game controller, uses Z and X as its main input buttons (much like RPG Maker games would.) Z is generally cancel/back, X is generally accept/ok. You can currently enter the Items, Equips, and Status menus. In items, press X once to get a description of the item and pick it up. you can then move to another item cell and drop it to swap its position, allowing for inventory customization much like FF5/6. Instead of moving it, press X a second time to "use" the item - a window will pop up allowing you to select a party member to use the item on.

In the equip menu, you can select a slot to equip (weapon, for example,) and press X. You are now in a list where you can press up/down to select a weapon and compare its stats. Green indicates the item in question raises that particular stat. Red means it is worse, and white means it is just as good as what you have on. Note that items that alter VIT may affect your HP differently from what is shown because VIT affects HP, same with INT affecting SP. Press X to equip it.

Use the left/right arrow keys when selecting a slot to swap to another character in your party.

That is all! Nothing special, just something to have fun with. The item descriptions are sometimes a laugh. I created all of the pixel-art by hand on my tablet with a stylus!  =D

p.s: this is a very early build, don't expect much. Also there's a few known bugs. Equips that lower your HP/SP can bring you into the negative maximum, which would just constantly kill you in battle, etc. Also I was nice and gave you x1 of every item there is so far. The secret crate is an inside joke - however it gives you x1 random item from the database. Have fun! :P

Hark0

Quote from: Darmakwolf on 2013-Sep-02
I am not finished with the battle system,...

Hi!

What formula uses you for the game?

I'm are using a variation of roguelike system formula combat.
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Darmakwolf

Quote from: Hark0 on 2013-Sep-02

Hi!

Full real-time Active Battle Systen (RTAB,) same as FF6!

Hark0

Quote from: Darmakwolf on 2013-Sep-03
Quote from: Hark0 on 2013-Sep-02

Hi!

:good:
Full real-time Active Battle Systen (RTAB,) same as FF6!