Roguelikes

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

This is a nice article I recently came across and I would like to share the link...

https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2018/10/how-to-make-a-roguelike/

I've always been interested in Roguelikes but I was always baffled by the RPG mechanics and the general scope of Roguelikes. There a real 'coders' genre IMHO, almost no graphics or sound to mess around with, just code. I'm seriously thinking of giving it a go myself.  :noggin:

If anyone is really interested in this subject I would heartily recommend this subreddit too... https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

Good video - watching it now!

Might also delve into this - Moria on the Amiga was one of my favourite games....
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

I´m super interested.
I have started something roguelike before that I want to finish this year still. :)
thanks! will get to it now.

bigsofty

Moria on the school Apple 2 was the first computer game I played that blew me away. I used to compare computer games to the arcade(Defender, Pac-Man, Gauntlet etc.) but obviously computers at the time could not compare, so I was generally left unimpressed. But this Moria blew the arcade games away in terms gameplay, immersion and atmosphere. It was my first hint that computer games where not just "quick fix" type of games, they could be relaxing and you could pour time into them and get some very rewarding results. Even today, the scope of the actions that a player can do is still pretty well unmatched in graphical action RPGs.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrPlow

It was one of the first games where I feared for my characters life...Permadeath!
Rooms filling up with fast-breeding creatures and the further down in the depths you went the freakier it got!

Truly a classic!
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

bigsofty

Yup permadeath, simple idea but what tension it adds to the game, the more your character evolves, the more invested you become in his safety. It becomes an increasingly nervous endeavour to send you little guy to the lower depths.

The skills required in writing the game, should in every game coders arsenal too IMHO. Procedural level generation, RPG skill progression, ranged & melee fighting, objects(with skill levels) manipulation etc.
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)