Speech Synthesis with GLB?

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatonastick

Hi there, can anyone recommend a speech synthesis library that I should be able to get working with GLB?

I was hoping for cross-platform, but my extensive search this evening suggests there is no such thing.  Closest I can find is Flite which I already knew about, however it seems to be geared exclusively for handhelds.  I'm more interested in Win32/OSX/Linux, or if I have no choice, just Win32.  I tried to compile Flite but for some reason this time around (I know I've got it working before, but can't find the files in my archives anywhere) I just can't get it working.  Or maybe it was eSpeak I got working last time.  I know I got some engine or other going from source but never got around to getting it into some form I could use with GLB.  If there's a short-cut someone is aware of, I'd love to know it.  Otherwise I guess I keep looking (for a library and for that darned whatever it was I compiled last time).

MrTAToad

The only thing I know of is the Windows SAPI interface - I've actually got a DLL that would be usable, once I worked out what the functions are (dont have the original source code).

Hemlos

Very interesting to me..might be worth tinkering with...
If you know how to produce inline functions, this might help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723627(VS.85).aspx
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Hatonastick

Hmm with eSpeak (http://espeak.sourceforge.net) you can download the source and a compiled windows binary.  The binary comes with a SAPI5 compatible DLL which I'm pretty sure does all the actual work.  I'm thinking I might have compiled the source previously though.  The (possible) downside (depending on which license it is) is it's covered by the GNU General Public License number 3.  Anyone know what restrictions that places upon anyone who chooses to use the library?  I can't get my head around the legalese on that one.  I tend to prefer the shorter, to-the-point ones myself whenever I've used them in the past.

Looks like it's cross-platform at least.  Windows, Linux and now OSX by the looks of it.

Hemlos

Wow that voice sounds like crap lol  :puke:
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

MrTAToad

They are better on a Mac - but you cant get access to the API

Hatonastick

Well in my case I'm banking on the fact that they sound mechanical. :)