[Game Idea] Game like Super Mario Kart : Battlemode

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

I've been playing and with some help from Kanonet with OpenGL, came up with this...

It has no physics except the bare minimum for kart movement. I want to make a small battle-mode game for 1GAM. It won't be very ambitious and won't use a fancy physics library. However, if its useful at all I can post the source code of the final game.

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

matchy

Very good and I couldn't have done better regarding the 3D so you win this challenge lol. Ambitiously it would be nice with box2d and net multiplayer.

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Marmor

its usefull ! send the code !  :D

looks great !,

Ian Price

Looks awesome. That's proper 3D though, not Mode7, isn't it?
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

I don't know if its due to childhood nostalgia goggles but I liked the battle mode on the first SNES Mario Kart more than the later games. I'll be happy if I can capture some of how much fun that was while also adding a few extra things that hopefully don't break the gameplay.

And yah, not mode 7. Only made to look like it. :)

Because its real 3D its expensive. The track map is comprised of 16,384 tiles (128 by 128 map size). Drawing all that brings the framerate down from the optimum on older PCs. The area outside the track also has to be drawn for a large distance too, otherwise empty spaces show up near the horizon. I'm using Kanonet's libSPRITE routines for the billboard sprites and the track map itself. Its very handy.

Quote from: matchy on 2013-Apr-13
Ambitiously it would be nice with box2d and net multiplayer.

I would love to make use of networked multiplayer. Box2D too. The trouble, as it usually is for all of us, is about the amount of time I can give this. It would take me too long to put together a decent routine for lag compensation. With the physics it will be faster to write a simple simulation myself rather than tweak Box2D, though I have a nice physics editor that can export to Box2D. Hmm.

mentalthink

It's really nice, and it's good idea only paint over a plane the circuit... really looks very fine...

Kitty Hello

Why not use real mode 7? Just polyvector a 4 noded surface and calculate the u,v positions by a moving, rotated parallelepipe on the texture?

Schranz0r

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2013-Apr-14
Why not use real mode 7? Just polyvector a 4 noded surface and calculate the u,v positions by a moving, rotated parallelepipe on the texture?
heee?  :blink:
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

On a texture that has the complete map, draw your player as a tiny line. That line is the bottom of the screen. Then, in the direction of view, draw a rectangle, that goes wider with more distance. That goes to the center line of the screen. Know what i nean?

erico

I think I get it...something like drawing on a single texture like a 2d game but then use polivector to plot the world on perspective? Sounds great :)

Wampus

A huge 2048x2048 texture with changing texture co-ords would work and almost certainly be faster, only I like the idea of having tiles in order to animate water, lava or anything that could be animated on a tile by tile basis.

The other thing is, if the large texture was done using a 4 noded polyvector I think it would have affine texture mapping. This is what I mean:-

The middle example shows what I think would happen.

Moru

This was exactly what happened when I tried this but that was version 7 of GLBasic, haven't tried it since then.