GLBasic V16 news - Android for the masses

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

I've got good news and bad news. Good news first.

Compiling for Android no longer is a pain (for you). The kids got older and I start finding some more time for GLBasic, slowly. Spacefractal and me, we took the long route to recreate the Android build totally from scratch. Starting with a new template project based on SDL2, we adjusted and expanded this project to include all the GLBasic sources and thus compile all stuff only using Android Studio, now.
Then, we wrote a program in GLBasic, that prepares and updates this project in your project's distribute folder and starts Android Studio for you.
You just press "run" and really, you project runs on the emulator or your connected device.
You need help with some Android specific stuff? Google/Stack Overflow answers will perfectly work for your problem.
Joypads were always a pain on Android. Spacefractal remapped them for you. You can produce KEY() codes and/or GETJOY... codes.
The Android TV remote control? Works out of the box.
Google requires your native code (NDK) to be built for several platforms, now. (x86, ARM64, ...). It's all done for you. Even the SDL2 code gets compiled, so we can bring important updates just in time. Even YOU can do this - you are completely in control of your project. We're ready for any changes Google requires from us in the future.
The update will be on Steam, soon.

Which takes me to the bad news.
GLBasic V16 will from now on only be available on Steam. If you don't have a Steam version yet, please consider getting one. It's cheaper than the V1-V15 original versions, and honestly, you got free updates until now from day one. That is nineteen years! Do you know any other software, like that?
See, many game devs using GLBasic made more money with their games, than I did with GLBasic. I am happy about that. GLBasic gave me good money to always buy testing hardware and keep the servers running. It still is - don't worry. But it was always a hobby, never a commercial success. That might be, because I'm an engineer, not a business man. And that's often what makes a great product, isn't it.
So, if you want to support me further, get the Steam version. Otherwise be welcome to stay here with your V15 support.
Also, if you are on a social network, don't hessitate to post what you did with GLBasic or what you like about it. I, again, am not good at that kind of stuff.

MrPlow

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

bigsofty

Well done guys, I know this wasn't easy!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

SnooPI

YEAAHH !! WELL DONE GUYS !!

Quote from: Kitty Hello
I, again, am not good at that kind of stuff.
:D Me too ! (I laugh but it's a big problem in my job :sick:)

hardyx

Good work. I'm happy because GLBasic is still alive. I'ts fair that you receive some money for supporting this awesome development tool. It's very easy to create a lot of game and multimedia stuff with GLBasic. I will support the Steam version, and I hope many people around the world discover and buy the product. Long live to GLB!!!  :booze:

Hemlos

Thank you Gernot, GLBasic is an outstanding product, and worth every cent.
Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

JohnnyB

Great tool, got sick and tired of C# and Java and Python. Stuff I have to use for my work. GLBasic is much faster and more fun to work with. It is so intuitive. Syntax is also better than AGK or the other Basic languages. There is really no reason why AGK is so big and GLBasic is not, quality-wise.

kirkdev

Excellent, can't wait to get the update!  :good:
Kirk

MrPlow

Quote from: JohnnyB on 2019-Jun-01
Great tool, got sick and tired of C# and Java and Python. Stuff I have to use for my work. GLBasic is much faster and more fun to work with. It is so intuitive. Syntax is also better than AGK or the other Basic languages. There is really no reason why AGK is so big and GLBasic is not, quality-wise.

Second JohnnyB on that...GLBasic is a super product...should be more popular than AGK.
GLB Just needs some more marketing.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

mentalthink

I happy to ear those notices... Larga vida a GLBasic!!!  <3 <3

Ian Price

Excellent news. Well done Gernot and SpaceFractal.

Here's to another 19 years (plus!) of GLBasic.
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

Good job! Will upgrade directly. And don't feel bad for asking for money every 15 years... :-)

Not superfond of Steam personally since it forces us to buy three copies of everything if we want to do something together in the family. We buy most stuff on GOG.

erico